MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 2nd time I've seen a press setup like this. Why 2 decapping dies?

Question 2nd time I've seen a press setup like this. Why 2 decapping dies?

In the video @ 3:54 you can see he has a Universal Decapping die and then a Sizing and Decapping die next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIObEsTPxg

I understand the first die decaps. I understand the second one resizes and lines up for the primer. But my question is why wouldn't you Size and decap on the upstroke and then prime in the downstroke on the first station? Seems it setup this way is wasting a die spot on the turret.

Boolit Master
    Never used a progressive so can't answer your question, is there a erason or is it just how he likes to do it? One thing that did catch my eye was how much flex there was in his reloading bench, seems to me he should have made it a bit sturdier.

Boolit Master

I see many guys that put 2 size/decaps in trhe first 2 stations.. 1st station sizes and decaps as normal.. 2nd station has the decap pin and neck expander removed and the die body is just there to line up the brass for priming.

Edit: had a few minutes.. watched your video. that's exactly what he is doing.. he is using the resize die with decapper removed to line up the brass for primer.. in this case he is also sizing it. lots of other guys do all the sizing on first step, then lineup on second. it was probably cheaper for him to toss a 10$ uni in the first hole vs buying another sizer.

I have watched a few hint/tip/setup videos on many dies.. and people that run these alot come up with fixes and sugested setups.. and this is one of them to make the primer feed system robust. I suspect you will see it often.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 07-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    In video he said he decapped first, second die sized with decapping pin removed and it lined up case for priming on station three.

On thought is that he is balancing forces by decapping separately as in getting a smoother flow. I have no experience with a loadmaster as my press is a LNL but he may have discovered it just works better. On the other hand he might just be quirky himself.

You could contact him and ask him why he does it that way.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

You can only prime on station two on a Loadmaster. It primes on the upstroke .
    The sizing die with pin removed helps it center on the primer .

Boolit Master

on automated progressives most use 2 decaps to stop jams. the first is decap only and sometimes swagged primers stick to the decap pin and are pulled back up into the pocket just enough to jam the press at the reprime station so they run a second decap die and sizer in the second station to size the brass and eliminate the possible stuck primer.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Mold
    But my question is why wouldn't you Size and decap on the upstroke and then prime in the downstroke on the first station? Seems it setup this way is wasting a die spot on the turret.

Because the Loadmaster has auto index. It advances at the bottom of the shell plate downstroke. The only way to deprime and prime on same station is with a manual advance such as Dillon 550.

Boolit Master

you can not physically deprime and prime in the same station, they can not both use the same area.

Boolit Buddy
    Mmmmmmm
    I have a 550 that deprimes and sizes when the ram goes up then primes when the ram goes down all on the first station.
    I must be missing something!

Boolit Master

we are talking about true progressive presses, and the need for double decapping dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    we are talking about true progressive presses, and the need for double decapping dies.
    Do you mean the difference between an auto-indexing progressive, and a hand indexed progressive?

Seems to me that the auto-indexing progressive requires 2 stations to do the same work as 1 station in a manually indexed progressive.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    When I still used my Loadmaster, I deprimed and sized in station 1, then used a spare seating die in station 2 so the case stayed centered for priming. He’s doing the same principal but in reverse. This is mostly a Loadmaster thing since it primes on the upstroke, most progressive presses prime on the downstroke as a second step after depriming in station 1, thus eliminating the need for an extra station in order to prime cases.

Boolit Master

Is this the origin of; "Different strokes for different folks"? Just askin'.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

The decapper may contact the new primer when fl sizing & seating a new primer. After primer is seated, moving the primed case up, the pin can hit the new primer.

My 2 RCBS 223 die sets are different. The 1970s fl allows size, deprime, & install new primer on Rock chucker.

The new sets fl die body is now shorter. Cant do all at the first station. Same on Dillon RL-450 or Rock Chucker.

I modified the decapper stem, if i remember correctly?

The new set needs the decapping stem changed.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-15-2022 at 08:55 AM.