Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Remember Back When

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Sorry wrong item. My mistake
    Last edited by sailcaptain; 01-20-2021 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Wrong item

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Dad was an engineer. No guns, as kids we were stuck with blowing things up.
    I can relate to this...early 60's my mother wouldn't let us have BB guns because an older teen at the end of the road shot his eye out with one! So instead we collected the empty CO2 canisters from friends guns, cut off the ends, loaded with matchheads and shot them out of pipes like rockets. If she had seen us doing that we probably would have all gotten BB guns the next Christmas.

Boolit Master

Good stories. IIRC, got my first BB gun in about 56, lived on a farm so plenty of targets. Friend and I would spend all Saturday shooting. When Co2 came out got one for Christmas, had lots of empty bottles. In 8th grade did a science project by making black powder( try that today). Friend and I “ discovered” that driving a #8 nail in top of empty Co2 bottle we could trickle black powder in bottle. Fuse was hard to come by until we discovered “ jetex” model rocket fuse. The fun we had.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Well I turned 70 already this year ....
    My first Daisey had the peep rear and a globe front. That was my dads idea but it worked well. Was diffiult to pop starlins out of the trees but it all worked out.
    In basic at FT Lost in the Woods we used Daiseys to learn squad anti-aircraft shooting.... Metal plane (Mig 17) came sliding down a steel cable and our squad leader would give the command to fire. We were lined parallel to the sliding plane's path. Every hit was very audible
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    From my father I got his 1930s Daisy. From his father I got a cough syrup bottle of lead BBs. That was the only thing he would shoot in his pre-war German "bring back" air rifle. (Got that too. It still works and is a hoot!) If you look around on the internet you can still find lead BB size shot. At least you could a year ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Well I turned 70 already this year ....
    My first Daisey had the peep rear and a globe front. That was my dads idea but it worked well. Was diffiult to pop starlins out of the trees but it all worked out.
    In basic at FT Lost in the Woods we used Daiseys to learn squad anti-aircraft shooting.... Metal plane (Mig 17) came sliding down a steel cable and our squad leader would give the command to fire. We were lined parallel to the sliding plane's path. Every hit was very audible
    Mike, I also had one of those, a Daisy 99 IIRC. My dad was a WW2 vet (Army Staff Sargeant) and was adamant that I learn safety AND marksmanship. My 10th birthday rolled around in '64 and the Daisy came home with him. At first I wasn't crazy about those target-style sights........that is, until I learned to use them! Wow! I came to love that rifle in very short order! We lived on the shores of Chautauqua Lake in western NY on a dead end street. Behind the house was a large swampy patch that became my hunting grounds. I shot a LOT of frogs in that swamp, my mom hated to see me coming with that stringer full of frogs, 'bout gagged her to death (city girl!). But dad and I ate good! Mom and sis settled for burgers on "frog nights"! LOL! When I turned 12 my lawn mowing money bought me a .22 cal Crosman pump-up pellet rifle, OH MY! A whole new world opened up in the swamp, crows trembled in fear...........Those were the days!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Just think what's going to happen when your new HW95 arrives? A whole nother level of game will be on your list.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

That's true, Randy! My entire purpose for this rifle is to hunt small game, primarily grey squirrels. I am only now thinking of the opportunities this might open in regard to new locations to hunt. People seem to be more inclined to allow airgun hunters access to their property vs conventionally armed hunters. Time will tell!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Mold

been there but early 70s for me lots o fun my poor mother
    thought this was gonna save money

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Good stories. IIRC, got my first BB gun in about 56, lived on a farm so plenty of targets. Friend and I would spend all Saturday shooting. When Co2 came out got one for Christmas, had lots of empty bottles. In 8th grade did a science project by making black powder( try that today). Friend and I “ discovered” that driving a #8 nail in top of empty Co2 bottle we could trickle black powder in bottle. Fuse was hard to come by until we discovered “ jetex” model rocket fuse. The fun we had.
    I can relate, if kids now what I did then there would be a steady steream of LE, feds and militery looking for the source!!!!

Boolit Master
    Born in 1939 got a BB gun Red Ridder in 46, we had some big Elms in the yard lots of sparrows. The neighborhood (gang) decided to have a contest on how many sparrows we killed (had to show no telling) I won three months out of a year. No telling how many # of BB's I went through. All that gang have departed over the years I am the last one but it was sure fun.
    Frank G.

Quote Originally Posted by rogn View Post
    I can relate, if kids now what I did then there would be a steady steream of LE, feds and militery looking for the source!!!!
    Oh yeah. If kids some of the things we did, they'd get chased around by a black helicopter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I was allowed a BB gun when 12, a 22 when qr. still have the 22 after 53 years.

Was raised in the mountains of So. Cal back when ....
    Very rural in those days , had four close friends in our grade school days and we all had bb guns .
    On occasion we would get together , suit up with heavy jackets, football helmets , goggles and toss a coin down to the odd man out.
    He wound up being the target ....
    We would set up our ambush points along side the road and the target would come thru as fast as he could peddle ..
    Forgot to mention heavy gloves also ...
    And again here ... if kids were doing this these days , the world would come to an end in panic !

Later on in the years , also picked up a Benjamin 22 pump pellet rifle and brought home quail for dinner quite a bit now and then ...great on the barbeque !
    So many stories ..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12