RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Need a bigger pot

Boolit Man

Need a bigger pot

After casting some 670 gr bullets for my .50-90 with my little 10 lb furnace I definitely need something bigger. I am looking at the RCBS Easy Melt 25 lb pot. I prefer ladle casting. Anyone used this one or have another suggestion?

Boolit Master

Lol. Even a 20lb lee (~17-18lb) pot isn't big enough. The RCBS will be a big improvement, but .50 boolits drain a pot fast. I have a 4 cavity NOE 513-888 mold that would take over 1/2 pound per mold fill, even without the lead for a sprue.

Boolit Buddy
    Those will use up a small pot pretty quickly! I cast some 270 grainers for a 44 mag the other day, seemed like I had to feed my little 10# pot every couple of minutes. I'll dust off the 20# bottom pour next time!

Boolit Master
    Magma 40 lb pot.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I did not realize how much the temperature dipped when lead was added.. Also I did not realize how long it took to get the lead back up to desired temperature after adding lead. A PID made me aware.
    Those casting heavy bullets with smaller pots could possibly make more consistent bullets with a PID. Just saying

Boolit Bub
    Magma 90 lb pot. you can either dip or bottom pour. best bang for your buck IMHO..

Boolit Master
    If you aren't going to bottom pour, these are strictly ladle cast. http://www.waage.com/ Edit: I don't see the larger pots anymore.

The Easy Melt will likely disappear soon if it isn't gone already. Edit: RCBS is listing their line of pots again, just nothing in stock. I don't think the Improved Pro Melt 2 has shipped yet.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-21-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

If you set up a PID to run a 240 volt load you can use an electric stove element of over 2000 watts of heat. Then set a 5 QT cast iron Dutch oven that holds over 100 lbs.
    That should keep a ladle caster busy for a few minutes.
    I been thinking about building such a set up but with a bottom pour pot.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    Had the same issue when I first started casting with a Lee pot, especially with 500 grain bullets. Got a cheap hot plate from Wally World and a 2 quart cast sauce pan. Premelt the ingots over the hot plat. Molten lead from sauce pan not up to casting temp, but cut time to get back up to temp by at least 80% When I went to Pro Melt with PID, kept the same procedure, and never let Pro Melt get below half. Recovery time is very fast.

When done with a session, I always leave about half an inch of lead in bottom of sauce pan. Decreases initial melt time dramatically, vs starting with empty pan and ingots.

I have han RCBS Easy Melt for about 11 months now and it works just fine. The only issue is the cool down period for the pid. You can't shut the pot off till it reads less then 160°. This takes up to 3-4 hours in my garage when it is 50°. You could put it on a timer or I direct a fan on it and that cools it faster. I just plan on shutting it down before 6 pm if I'm home or not start it at all if I have to leave.

Other wise it is a good unit and keeps the temp steady just like any other pid controlled pot.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I use a cut down propane tank and weed burner for casting. Pot holds 130 lbs of alloy. The mass holds a very consistent temp on the alloy. We usually cast 3 around the pot so if something happens we have help there. With 3 guys casting 500+ grn bullets we have never ran it empty from full. Another nice side is 10 or 20 lb ingots fit in easily.

Banned
    I do similar as cg, only I use freon tanks. I cut the bottom about 3" high, any height you wish, then make another cut around the tank as a ring. Set the base into the ring, level it, then weld the bottom to the ring. Makes a very stable pot. I heat by a burner used for turkey frying, that I reinforced the legs for a more stable base.

Boolit Mold
    I've been using the Waage 25 lb capacity 115v Model K4757 for years. Actually I have 3 of them and 2 are just sitting in the corner collecting dust. Waage doesn't list them on their website, but they still make them.

Boolit Bub
    Midway had the rcbs pro melt 2 in stock yesterday.