Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70-500 for the Trapdoor 1881 rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    Hey Gents, thanks for all the input. My TD is 1 /22 twist. Larry, I am unable to obtain a Rapine mold (out of service I believe). The Saeco is the next accurate copy of the arsenal bullet and is offered through Redding but that is unobtainable here in Aus. I ordered the 460 500D a couple of days back and will see how we go with 20-1 lead tin.

Bob C.
    Many find 20-1 alloy a good one. However, the arsenal did a considerable amount of testing of alloy composition among a lot of other things back in the 1880s before adopting the 500 gr bullet. They found an alloy of 16-1 was better. I tested both the 20-1 alloy and the 16-1 alloy some years back at 600 yards and found the 16-1 alloy was, indeed, the more accurate with full service level loads of 70 gr with the 500 gr bullet running 1250 fps +/-.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Unless I am mistaken, the goal of Spence Wolf was NOT to obtain best accuracy, but to replicate the militay loading for the TD - and the military accuracy standard. If you want to shoot your TD in competition, this may not be the best load...

Banned
    that was a good reply.thanks

I had Tom at Accurate whip me up a 46-500D for my mint 1887 DOM 1884, based on my chamber casting. Over 63gr of 2F run thru a drop tube and seated to the top driving band it does this at 200 yards; 25:1 alloy. I'd have to get the load card for the rest of the specs, but it's good enough for me. I never could get the Lee hollow base to shoot as well as I'd like. Hope this helps?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	271319

Boolit Master
    My alloy of 9+1 COWW/Lino in the Lyman 458125/500gr RN works very well in my 1884 TD
    Was a match winner
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

A well fitted cast is the key to it all. Our 84 sprayed 400-500 grainers all about the 200 yard burn until we found NEI had a mold that would drop 20-1 at .463
    Then that Buffington would really begin to shine.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Some wisdom here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12