RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 22 Rifles at the Range

My 22 Rifles at the Range

I've been taking my 22 rifles for outings for a few weeks now. Initially results were disappointing but the last two sessions are showing some promise.

This is my Voere which for some reason was shooting very poorly at first. I cleaned the barrel and cleaned it some more, even firing polishing compound down it using 60gr subs. Today after firing a number of rounds of different brands and types, it began to come together. This is scoped. The ammo was CCI Subsonic RN. The first target shot way off to the left as can be seen but the shots gradually walked toward center. Second target was fired just to se were it was shooting without the clutter.

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    After a good scrubbing of the bore on any of my 22s, it takes a few rounds for the barrels to settle in. I usually just run 2 wet patches with Hoppes down the barrel with a bore cable, then three or four dry patches til they come out pretty clean. When the accuracy drops off, they get the scrubbing. Usually after a couple bricks of ammo.

I didn't know one could get a bore cable. I was thinking about just such a thing.

My once very accurate Remington 512 did the same thing. After a good many shots it shot quite well again with mini mags.

This is how the Voere shot a week ago.

The range is only 25m and this is with a scope. Here the ammo was CCI subsonic HP.

I love range sessions with my BSA Model 12, 12/15 and international Mk2 target rifles. Very therapudic!

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 10-21-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I recently started shooting .22lr again, it is very therapeutic...I agree with 'BAW'.

My rifles have been basically pushed back in the back of the safe for 40 years ever since the kids grew up and left home. I had forgotten how much fun one can have with a small bore like that.
    I recently bought a Sav. MKII FVT with a nice peep site system, it's a real challenge in a couple of ways...one> finding & sorting the right ammo that'll perform well and two> trying to be a competent shot at 50 yards, man those little spots look awful small and fuzzy.

It's something I do at least 4 times in a week since I shoot here at home....I take 25 rounds out and send them as best as I can...the challenge makes for total concentration and all the problems of the world seem to go away while I'm shooting.

The peep and front globe are new to my experience and will take a lot of practice as I learn the tricks of that system..at least I can keep them all on paper, that's prolly saying a lot for 70 year old eyes...heheee

I noticed too that when I swab the barrel that it takes 5 shots to get it to group again, first shot generally 5 o'clock off target, 2'nd shot up around 2 or 3 o'clock, still off target and then from the 3'rd shot on they tend to walk right in.

I've tried a lot of different bulk ammo but the CCI sub-sonic and these Aguila seem to be the best I can find, .22lr ain't easy to get here behind enemy lines in brick size quantities.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I didn't know one could get a bore cable. I was thinking about just such a thing.

My once very accurate Remington 512 did the same thing. After a good many shots it shot quite well again with mini mags.
    I believe mine is a Frankford Arsenal cleaning kit that it came in. I really like it so much better than a cleaning rod. I don't have to worry about having guides for each rifle, its rubber coated so nothing to damage the barrel, and nothing bends since I am pulling instead of pushing.

I didn't get too good a result with the Aguila Extra but I only tried it in one rifle and only the once this last session. My best results have been with mini mags and those CCI STD round noses. Of course, comparing a scoped rifle to plain sights doesn't do them justice.
    with a scope I can see the shots hitting so I know it's not the aiming but those irons cover the target mostly and as the sunlight falls directly on the front sight it becomes even trickier. I was quite pleased with one group I shot.

At least one of those spoilers wasn't me - see the yaw? But just being able to put most of the shots together is satisfying. That's only 25m of course.

And this one.

Twelve shots went through that hole. At this stage I was more concerned with the rifle accuracy.

From a previous session. I was convinced I was aiming better than that! This rifle has a rust damaged bore.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-18-2020 at 12:48 PM.

First time I ever used this 'globe' type front sight...

this is what it looks like, sorta...the camera is a little too close to the rear peep but it's close.
    Inside the globe at 10 o'clock there's a 2 inch black spot I generally will use for 5 barrel warmers and at 3 o'clock there's a 3'' spot that I try to group on, there's a lot of room for improvement in this game!.

Nothing gets covered up like with a post, you just have to keep your line of sight, the rear peep and the front globe 'concentric' ...that's a bit of a trick.

It's fun though.

I think this was the target I was working that day...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I love range sessions with my BSA Model 12, 12/15 and international Mk2 target rifles. Very therapudic!
    people dont realise how good martini rf are my international is a lefty ,shoots one hole 5 shot groups a 50 yards with just about any reasonable 22 ammo even i can shoot 2 inch 10 shot groups at 100 yards.a good shot could halve that

I have shot with those globe sights on full bore target. They are awesome.

What makes the Martini 22 so accurate?

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a patchworm for years. Works great.
    http://www.patchworm.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Me2!
    But my trio consists of a M15, 12/15 and Mk V LH.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    people dont realise how good martini rf are my international is a lefty ,shoots one hole 5 shot groups a 50 yards with just about any reasonable 22 ammo even i can shoot 2 inch 10 shot groups at 100 yards.a good shot could halve that
    There are a lot of things "people don't realize"! Since I also have a Mk V LH, I am very much aware of what they can do. I only wish I could shoot it to its potential.

Boolit Buddy

303Guy,
    I would say it's
    - design
    - quality of materials used and care in assembly
    - good aperture sights
    - inherent marksmanship of the nut behind the trigger

I found an old thread in the archive explaining the 'peep & globe' sight system & giving many helpful hints...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ep-sight/page2

The part I'm wrestling with is keeping focused on the front globe instead of concentrating on centering the target in the globe.
    The post said that the eye naturally wants to center the target in the globe but...'loosing that shot' with a 'fuzzy target' is almost beyond my doing without a quick peek at that target.

Do you have any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    my martini has a scope my old eyes cant see the fore sight in our tunnel range.i think the old guys in brown dust coats really knew how to make accurate rifles.

I cannot aim by focusing on the front sight. Fortunately my right eye still has perfect vision. So for me, the rear blade needs to act like an aperture to focus the front blade

It was quite some years go that I last shot with globe sights. In fact, it was with a 22 target rifle. I had forgotten about that. All I remember is that I had no problems with them. Last night I tried a pinhole on a sticker on my reading glasses. I didn't have the rifle handy but my extended thumb and distant objects were in clear focus. I'm going to give this a try and see how it works. I think that trick or similar was from Tripplebeards.

Don't know what you do when you clean your 22lr rifles. When I get a used/new to me rimfire firearm I take it to the range and run a box of 50 rounds thru it over a chronograph on a 25yd target. Then I

Check the crown, should be an even star pattern on the muzzle, if not I touch it up.
    Run a couple oiled patches down the bbl and then a tight patch feeling for either loose spots or constrictions. You want to feel an even pressure the whole way down the bbl to the last +/- 2" of bbl then you want it to get tight from there to the end. If there isn't a constriction at the end of the bbl make one by using cleaning solvents on a tight patch from the chamber end of the bbl do long strokes ending +/- 2" from the muzzle. After 3 or 4 range outing there will be constriction in the end of the bbl.
    I clean the leade area of the chamber with a brush & keep that area clean.
    I take the firearm back to the range and do another 50 rounds over a chronograph checking accuracy @ the 25yd line.
    Finely I take the bolt down and give it a good cleaning, check the fp face & side wear/wear marks and then oil/grease everything (I use a dry bicycle chain lube) and put it back together. Then another trip to the range for 50 rounds on the 25yd line over a chronograph.

Hopefully everything stayed the same thru the process, this tells me that this is all the firearm can do mechanically and then I start looking for different ammo's that firearm likes. What I have found more often then not fliers come from inconsistent ignition/fp hits, either from the ammo itself or from the firearm. A chronograph will pick up on this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast