RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Gonic 50 cal, what's it worth?

Banner Sponsor

Gonic 50 cal, what's it worth?

Hello everyone.
    I'm helping a friend that wants to sell his muzzleloader, but I'm not sure what it's worth.
    It's a Gonic 50 cal with the upgraded wood. It's only been shot a couple of times and is in 99% condition. He said that he paid over $1000 for it when it was new.
    Any ideas on what he should ask for it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1088_2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	269522

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1089_2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	269523

Boolit Grand Master
    Only what the market will bear. The Gonic is one of the first modern in-lines and was ahead of its' time. I seem to remember the Gonic in .458 and don't know much about the .50 version. They were quality made with some quirky features. Once the 'ol man left ?died? the company, the son let it go downhill. I got mine for $100 and had to rebarrel it. A curiosity now. Good luck. I'd hate to venture a reasonable asking price for it.

Sadly, despite the initial cost, these days they only change hands for a few hundred US dollars, maybe $400 (+/-).

I would suggest that he place it on one of the online guns-only auction websites (gunbroker, gunauction, gunsamerica, etc) with a reserve.

If it doesn't sell, he'll know the asking price is too high.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

More of a market for them a couple months ago with hunting season approaching. Like said put it up for auction and if he doesn't get what he wants for it, try next year. Too many cheap inlines out there these days so not as strong of a market.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banner Sponsor

Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    This rifle was just listed on one of our Canadian sites at $1750.00. Wishful thinking?
    Black powder gun - Gonic - Model 93 - Caliber .50 MAG and telescope Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x 8 - Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by BPJONES View Post
    This rifle was just listed on one of our Canadian sites at $1750.00.

Wishful thinking?

Black powder gun - Gonic - Model 93 - Caliber .50 MAG and telescope Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x 8 - Stainless

IME, the asking price isn't the same as the selling price - there's plenty of dreamers & unknowledgable folks out there, trying to sell whatever.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    IME, the asking price isn't the same as the selling price - there's plenty of dreamers & unknowledgable folks out there, trying to sell whatever.

You got that right. When I saw the ad my first thought was that the guy is dreaming. To top it off, it is a plain Jane looking rifle with nothing striking about it at all. But I guess how it looks has no bearing on how it might shoot.

Yep - some sows carry a silk purse....

Boolit Man
    As a side note my Gonic 50 cal. is a true .500 diameter. It might be a trick to find a bullet mould that will cast a suitable bullet. I use a ,500 S&W 385 Gr. mold and resize down to .498- .499 in mine -they start firmly but the rifle shoots as good as any muzzle loader I have ever had. The rifle is rated for 150 grains of FFG according to the literature that came with it. Mine shoots best at 100 to 110 Grs. FFG. Paid 125 dollars for it several years ago.

Boolit Master

When I worked as a guide in NM the outfitter pushed the Gonics for his hunters. I zeroed a number of them and they are fine rifles holding 2" at 200yrds easily. As was said the rifles went down hill aftyer the old man died. His son hunted with us once and it was easy to see why the company went down hill after his death.
    If you want a modern inline ML and can find one at a good price you can't go wrong with the Gonic. Of course if something breaks you are out of luck.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master
    Boz330

The son's personal gun was for sale in a shop in the north east. It was purchased and I purchased it from the the buyer. As I said, I had to re-barrel it because of neglect and rust. I'm not surprised to read you account and assessment of the son. Too bad, but then waste always is.

I have one of their 45 caliber rifles. I got all happy when they advertised it as .457 caliber, thinking I could shoot regular 45-70 bullets in it. But when it arrived I found out it's just a regular 45 caliber barrel and needs .450 bullets. After a lot of modifications including profiling the barrel, new Boyd's stock, epoxy bedding, Krag sights, etc it's an exceptional shooter and very nice to carry hunting. I can't say it's worth a lot of money but it sure does work well for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Boz330

The son's personal gun was for sale in a shop in the north east. It was purchased and I purchased it from the the buyer. As I said, I had to re-barrel it because of neglect and rust. I'm not surprised to read you account and assessment of the son. Too bad, but then waste always is.
    The son arrived for the hunt, which actually was his dad's hunt, but he had passed. He refused to check his Zero, saying he knew exactly where his gun shot.
    Opening morning the outfitter guided him and he fired at a record book bull, no bang. Re-capped, again cap went off no big bang, one more time, no big bang and the elk walked away. Turned out that the nipple was not drilled all of the way through. The rifle was fresh off of the line, we guessed that one of the machinist was laughing his *** off at the ***. He never got another shot and was not the favored client in the camp. He did somewhat redeem himself by buying at the only bar around for all of the guides the last night of the hunt.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post

The son arrived for the hunt, which actually was his dad's hunt, but he had passed. He refused to check his Zero, saying he knew exactly where his gun shot.

Opening morning the outfitter guided him and he fired at a record book bull, no bang.

Re-capped, again cap went off no big bang, one more time, no big bang and the elk walked away. Turned out that the nipple was not drilled all of the way through. The rifle was fresh off of the line, we guessed that one of the machinist was laughing his *** off at the ***.

He never got another shot and was not the favored client in the camp.

What goes around, comes around...……

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of mine for $75, the other was a freebie, rusty bore. LEE made a mold for Gonic, mine came with one. I did cast up a few to try, it's a heavy bullet, makes the Gonic a BP Magnum. Sabots are also a special size. Like stated above, the grooves are 0.500, the bore smaller. A 490 ball is a bit big, you need very thin patch to use. They are accurate. I took mine hunting once, shot a nice eater buck. BP isn't for me, hate the smell and don't like cleaning guns that much.

Their triggers are superb. The one item that will stop them is the nipple, no replacements. Mine are OK still and I think I have one spare.

I should sell them, especially if I could get $1750, they're dreaming. I'd be happy with half that for both, LOL.