Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking Back - the 22 Long Rifle

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Looking Back - the 22 Long Rifle

Looking Back ... the 22 Long Rifle ... http://www.lasc.us/TaylorPACOLookBack22RF.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Very interesting article.

Yawn. A 16 year old article.
    Cognitive Dissident

A good read on a 5 am quiet cool north country morning.

Been leaning towards the .22mag myself lately.

I now have 3 of them again. My daughter talked me out of my old Heritage Rough Rider in .22lr/.22mag. She was moving back to North Carolina and wanted to take a pistol with for home defense.

Well it took me a month but I just got my new Heritage 6.5" convertable .22lt/.22mag with adjustable sights yesterday.

The sights added 60$ onto the price but they look very good. Front sight is a orange plastic. Rear is twin green dots. Adjustable for both windage and elevation. I'll be shooting it later today.

My old one shot .22lr pretty lackluster. Larger groups than I like. But feed it .22mag and it turns into a solid performer.
    At 7 yards putting them all into a 2 inch circle or smaller.

My other 2 .22mags are an Excel Accellerator 10 shot semi auto in .22mag with Red Dot sight on top. At 20 feet no problem keeping 10 rounds under an inch.
    The other is a NAA Earl 4" 5 shot revolver. Slow to load as you have to pull the cylinder. But it does quite well at closer ranges.
    And even at 20 feet it will keep them all on target in the face. At 10 feet it would take out eyeballs no problem.
    Its small, super easy to conceal, stainless, and most heard comment was how "cute" it was. Well if you think baby rattlesnakes are cute I guess. That little one has a bite.

As for shooting for the face, I've been teaching my wife to shoot her Ruger Mk III 22/45 with the Red Dot sight on top to shoot at bottle cap sized targets or 1 inch dots. If you can do that at 7 yards 10 out of 10 in under an inch you can shoot eyeballs.

Now even if a .22lr in the eye is not an instant DRT (which I suspect it would be most times)
    That person has now got bigger problems than you. And your sitting there waiting to put one in the other eye if you have to.

You do have to keep your cool.

The other advantage, .22mag is not as popular, so there are still plenty of sites with .22mags for sale. Price has gone up a little but I'll stack when I can. The stash is coming along nicely.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Just because it is an older article doesn't make it wrong or a poor read.

Boolit Master

Well then, yawn. Bet $1000 you're older than 16 years....does that make you irrelevent too?
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the article
    Much up to date except the reference to the better performance of the 45 grain over the 40 grain and better performance of 60 grain.Aguila yes for 60 if available, but the rest of the ammo makers favor the 40 over the 45 long rifle since that's all they seem to produce anymore.
    I shot the old Peter's 45 grains Special hunting load and the flat meplat and 45 grain weight always assured an anchor shot on small game.
    I always file an almost 1/8 inch meplat on all my .22 or game bullets. Have done so for years.
    Made myself a jig to hold the cartridge while I dress it just a bit with the file.
    Even though they are 40 grain weight and sometimes 36 or 38 grains, I still file on my meplat.
    They get the job done.
    Also, they feed alright into the automatics.
    For use in a revolver, I will take a tad more off making a larger meplat.I am aware that the powder needs the weight of the. bullet to make it build up the pressure to burn so I only remove a tiny amount more, but the performance of one of these under the chin of an animal almost guts them entirely and a head shot is still plenty deadly.
    Raccoons especially.
    In cold weather near zero, I will go to a regular Winchester power point to make sure they fire full power just in case.
    The filed meplat in all other hunting situations has always come thru for me.
    I am considering loading my own 45 grain and maybe a 55 or 60 grain bullet into primed rimfire cases I hear you can buy from Federal.
    I acquired a 24 inch barrelled .223 that I am experimenting with along those same lines.
    Lots of info around for a fella to experiment with.

Thanks.

I'm a huge fan of flatpoints too. Been nailing groundhogs with flatpointed Federal Automatch out of my old Taurus model 94...

Boolit Master

Interesting that the author managed to shoot .22WRF in his .22Mag.
    I tried it in 3 Convertible Revolvers, a Colt and both a Ruger NM SS & OM SS. Wouldn't fire in any of them.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I don't suppose it would interest you to know just how stupid such a comment makes you look. I am sure you are not what your comment would suggest. There is a delete button on your computer.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
    i'm a huge fan of flatpoints too. Been nailing groundhogs with flatpointed federal automatch out of my old taurus model 94...

goodo on you!