Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me please with a pact digital powder system

Boolit Bub

Help me please with a pact digital powder system

So I picked up the pact digital power dispenser and scale at a garage sale cheap. Problem there are no power supplies. I'm hoping someone can tell me what theirs is.

Thanks
    Josh

Boolit Master

To the Rescue==>pictures worth 1000 words.

SC = SCALE
    PM = POWDER MEASURE

Last edited by Land Owner; 10-12-2020 at 01:00 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

The scale is used every day, is incredibly FAST, has flawless, and nearly instantaneous output, except for very small powder charges, which are best weighed on a beam scale.

The Powder Measure remains in its box as "brand new", having been used once and put away since. At that one time it was compared to and found to be HALF AS FAST as the beam scale in throwing 49.8 grains of IMR 4831 stick powder. Perhaps, across all of my calibers and charge weights, that one comparison, a statistically "insignificant population" (n=1), wasn't truly a "test" of its capability. In time, I may reinvestigate - or pass out of this life first (I think).

PACT had some electronic "issues" in its early production and later manipulated the output to increase the speed of their powder measures. Sadly, mine is the later model and in that, not so fast, nor is there anything that PACT can do further. It stems not from the course powder advancement but from the powder trickler being incredibly slow.

Perhaps you will have better luck than me.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 10-12-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    The scale is used every day, is incredibly FAST, has flawless, and nearly instantaneous output, except for very small powder charges, which are best weighed on a beam scale.

The Powder Measure remains in its box as "brand new", having been used once and put away since. At that one time it was compared to and found to be HALF AS FAST as the beam scale in throwing 49.8 grains of IMR 4831 stick powder. Perhaps, across all of my calibers and charge weights, that one comparison, a statistically "insignificant population" (n=1), wasn't truly a "test" of its capability. In time, I may reinvestigate - or pass out of this life first (I think).

PACT had some electronic "issues" in its early production and later manipulated the output to increase the speed of their powder measures. Sadly, mine is the later model and in that, not so fast, nor is there anything that PACT can do further. It stems not from the course powder advancement but from the powder trickler being incredibly slow.

Perhaps you will have better luck than me.
    Thanks so much ive had these sitting for about 2 years now and never thought to ask on here. Yea I paid 30 for them at the sale so if it work at all fast or slow I got my moneys worth.

Boolit Master

Yes. You did very well. For that cost, I believe I could "live with" a bit of slowness. Now off with you to find the transformers, or some facsimile thereof.

Truth be told, I needed a batch of practice ammo real quick and found myself completely out of stock. So I set up the PACT powder measure and electronic scale alongside the beam scale and hand powder trickler and started to load across both systems. Soon it was glaringly obvious to even the most casual of observers that the hand method was twice as fast. But, I was making progress toward my rounds of practice ammo at the rate of 6 charged cases per minute (two on the PACT and four on the beam). Loading the rifle bullets was the next serial event on a single stage press.

After that startling result (statistical population, n=1), I posted here and elsewhere, discussed my results, discovered that PACT might be able to make it faster, contacted PACT, described my (their) equipment, date of purchase, etc., and they said, "Nothing further can be done", in making the PACT I had any faster. Your mileage may vary.

I hope you find transformers and compatible or original ones too. I have been to flea markets in the past, the bigger ones, scrounging pewter, where some guy had a booth of countless thousands of transformers. They are out there. Getting the correct plug is important. A plug can be spliced into the cord of the correct voltage and amperage transformer.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 10-12-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Now that I look closely at the pictures of the two plugs, similar in every respect except voltage and amperage (and I doubt these small devices make any difference), I suspect the "O" rings are probably hard. I have not checked that. Is there a reason to check? Do folks check theirs from time to time? Are they supposed to be hard, like Teflon, so they "slide in" on insertion and don't "scrape off" when removed? Do I replace them if found to be hard? Would that be a reasonable expectation of "soft goods"? Do they turn hard after years on the shelf or plugged into the equipment for which they were made. I suspect there are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of plugs "out there" with soft goods.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 10-12-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Another guy actually sent me link to pact site that sells original ones only 41 shipped

Boolit Bub
    Also I was told you want to charge a case get next charger going while you seat bullet and crimp. I'm going to try it that way and see if it can keep up.

Boolit Buddy
    I primarily use my PACT dispenser for 30-378 Weatherby. Even with the upgrade which increased the dispensing rate and allowed a charge over 100 grains, the dispenser takes a while to dispense the necessary 100+ grain charge.

To speed things up, you can scoop powder into the scale's pan before starting the dispensing process, just be sure the scale indicates less than the desired charge weight. The dispenser then only has to dispense enough powder to reach the set weight. A Lee plastic powder scoop, a pistol case or cutoff rifle case, a teaspoon, or for a 30-378, an old combat boot, can be used to get the initial charge from a small bowl of powder into the scale's pan.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra1911 View Post
    I primarily use my PACT dispenser for 30-378 Weatherby. Even with the upgrade which increased the dispensing rate and allowed a charge over 100 grains, the dispenser takes a while to dispense the necessary 100+ grain charge.

To speed things up, you can scoop powder into the scale's pan before starting the dispensing process, just be sure the scale indicates less than the desired charge weight. The dispenser then only has to dispense enough powder to reach the set weight. A Lee plastic powder scoop, a pistol case or cutoff rifle case, a teaspoon, or for a 30-378, an old combat boot, can be used to get the initial charge from a small bowl of powder into the scale's pan.
    If i run into problems ill try that thanks

Boolit Master

Sierra1911 - great solution! Thanks. Was focused elsewhere, dropping loads on the beam scale, waiting for the PACT, and had not though of that "help it along" approach. Perhaps I will dust off my "as new" machine and put it into production.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeeclipseman View Post
    So I picked up the pact digital power dispenser and scale at a garage sale cheap. Problem there are no power supplies. I'm hoping someone can tell me what theirs is.

Thanks
    Josh
    https://pact.com/product/dispenser-transformer/
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Bub
    Hey thanks I bought that awhile back just to find out the scale isn't accurate. Multiple times I've tired their zeroing steps still its way off. Bu thanks tho for helping.

That's to bad, Ive been around 3 of them, all accurate to the 10th. Kinda amazing considering they are about 30 years old. I got a Hornady scale about 7 years ago that's trash, they don't make them like they use to.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    My Pact scale resides in a landfill somewhere.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Bub
    I'm still hoping I can find someone to look at it but I haven't been looking too hard tho

I have a pack chronograph that I have used for years, can not speak for the scales,Flawless, I use a beam scale to get it right.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by orangeeclipseman View Post
    I'm still hoping I can find someone to look at it but I haven't been looking too hard tho
    Maybe try this.

Boolit Master

Did not know that and have not gotten that "ERR1" message either. My PACT has been sitting on my bench, energized continuously (except for hurricane power outage), running smoothly and accurately since I purchased it in December 2006 (exactly).

The same reset procedure works on the RCBS portable scale (battery operated), which was made by PACT.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast