MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case sizing lube

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Here is an in depth description on how to make the best spray on lube:

You need to buy 3 things. First, you want to get pure liquid lanolin. It can be bought online on Amazon.com and looks like this: (http://www.vitaglo.com/7730.html). There are other suppliers as well, but try to get it in a 4 oz. bottle, as you will understand why later. Liquid lanolin, which is a refined lanolin oil, is also sometimes available from health food stores and sources specializing in ingredients for cosmetics.

Next, you need to buy a 12 oz. bottle of 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. While many stores carry isopropyl alcohol in their drug/cosmetic isle, I have found few that carry the 99 percent variety that you need. Fortunately, there is an easily found product that contains 99 percent isopropyl alcohol: Iso-HEET Injector Cleaner & Fuel Line Antifreeze. Make sure it is the red bottle HEET and not the yellow bottle HEET, as that contains methanol and not isopropyl alcohol.
    Lastly, you need a spray bottle. I bought mine at a Dollar General store for about 2 bucks. Now for the mixing. You need to warm both the lanolin and the HEET to enable them to mix together. But, you cannot do this over an open flame. Again, do not heat either the lanolin or the HEET over an open flame. Rather, bring a pot of water on the stove to a boil and then turn off the heat. Then, insert the bottle of lanolin and the bottle of HEET into the boiling water until both are quite hot. After removing them from the water, with a pen or magic marker, mark the lanolin bottle in increments of 1 oz. In other words, if the height to the top of the lanolin in the bottle is 4 inches, from the bottom place a mark 1 inch up, 2 inches up, and 3 inches up. Actually, it is probably better to do this prior to heating the lanolin. So now, with both the lanolin and the HEET hot, pour 1 oz. of the lanolin and the entire 12 oz. bottle of HEET into your spray bottle. Shake it up and look for an even mixing taking place. If you see separation of the two, place the spray bottle into the hot water to heat up the mixture and shake again.
    To apply the lube, it’s best to place your brass into something like a 1 gallon ziplock bag, give a couple of squirts, close the bag and then shake the bag so the lube gets distributed onto all your brass. You can also spray the inside of the bag a couple times and then put the brass in prior to shaking them.

After resizing the brass, you will need to remove the lube. The best way to do this is to place them in your dry tumbler, add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits/paint thinner, and then tumble them for about 20 minutes. Hope this has been helpful, and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Don
    Great post!

Boolit Master

I made my case lube from 50% Motor Honey and 50% light oil.
    I wipe each case with a rag and clean in my vibratory tumbler with walnut shells.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Look at post #13. Thats a well written post about making case lube.
    That's what I started using works great for me as well. Same stuff as the Dillon spray lube but way easier on the wallet.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Boolit Master

Hornady One Shot. Spray on. Load. Shoot. Repeat.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Hornady One Shot. Spray on. Load. Shoot. Repeat.
    Works great with handgun cartridges and carbide sizing dies.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12