Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers !!!

Primers !!!

Are you ready for this?? 5 bricks of small rifle primers just sold on Gunbroker for $725.00.The real insanity has begun. MidwayUsa, Graf's, and Midsouth have O primers, 22 ammo, 22WMR, 9mm, 223 and not much of anything else.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Well, I’m fully stocked. I knew the insanity was coming.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I paid $70 for 800 CCI SRP at my LGS then realized they were magnums!
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 10-10-2020 at 11:23 PM. Reason: price correction

Boolit Grand Master

Where have you been for the past few months? This didn’t all of a sudden happen. And it’s not the first time its happened. I fee sorry for the people that have been planning on reloading but couldn’t for monetary reasons. I don’t feel sorry for anyone that had the means but did not plan accordingly. They are the people that try to buy a generator after the hurricane has hit.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Maybe I ought to put some on GB . Sell 100,000 now and buy 500,000 to replace them with the profit when things go back to normal . I'd still have a little more than that left of my old stock , guess I could limp along on that for a while . Always need to remember to keep more primers than you got powder .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new to reloading, just started in March, but I had a feeling something bad was coming. I'm not really well off in the ammo or components department but we're sitting better than most folks I know. I tried to talk a few into reloading but they couldn't allocate funds or couldn't/wouldn't make time.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My LGS has bricks in stock of LR, SR, MLR, SP, MSP, and LP CCI for $39.99. One brick of a 1000 per day and only 500 SP primers per day. They have some Bricks of Federal blue boxed primers for $39.99 a brick as well. There was plenty on the shelf of each the other day. They are only open a couple days a week and didn’t seem to be unloading them very fast. They did get a couple of panic calls on 9 mm ammo. The store received some that day and were selling them for $15 a box and limited to one box per day. I’ll go in with my pops next week when they open and we will each pick up a brick of MLR and LP. The following day I’ll probably grab another box of LR. I don’t load anything that requires SP but I might have to buy some to put away if ever cast 9mm or my 32 S&W. I don’t use CCI for anything but guess I’m going to start since it’s the only thing my LGS ever has stocked for the last decade unless I make a 2 hour round trip to Cabelas or Scheels. I was lucky enough to score 2k of Rem 7 1/2’s and 1k of Rem 9 1/2’s for a member here for the same price sportsman’s warehouse is advertising them today from a member here. That good man in my will now! Lol. After my trip to the LGS next week twice I think I should be OK for for a long time...or till the next election. I figured a minimum of at least 2k of everything should last me for a while. I’ve been well stocked for years accept for Both Remington primers and a couple of powder choices I just burnt up. At least I’ll have CCI’s from the LGS I can always trade someone for other primer brands some day if needed when I get done buying next week. I always in the past would only buy 300 to 400 primers for some goofy reason. I now buy 2 bricks when available so I don’t have an ulcer when times like these arise. New bees, I feel your pain. Imo if you can’t find a reasonable price local like my LGS has right now...knock on wood...I would tell you not to panic and use what you have. I would bet most my inventory that by next spring to early summer you’ll be buying in stock primers and powders close to pre panic prices again. The guys and gals that have been reloading for a few decades I’m sure will tell you the same.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-10-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I would bet most my inventory that by next spring to early summer you’ll be buying in stock primers and powders close to pre panic prices again.
    I sure hope so and I can guarantee you one thing, I'll be stacking components and ammo deep and the wife won't give me the grief like she did earlier this year.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Well . . . . let's see . . . . 5K primers for $725 equals .145 cents per primer (I didn't figure in shipping as to wasn't mentioned.) Hmmmmm . . . can anyone spell f l i n t l o c k? Crazy times . . . .

Boolit Master
    Couple years ago I bought 25,000 primers of various WLR, WSR, WLP, and WSP at a yard sale. Tried to sell them to gun club members for $25/1000. Sold one box in all that time. At LGS he's selling them for $60. No one realized what a bargain they were so now that they've turned in to gold I'm taking them off the sell list and keeping them.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I stopped into my LGS today no primers again. They had some powder. The normal price for the only primers they carry, Winchesters is $40 a brick, usual price for powder varies depending on company and formula but between $30-40lb. With little variety. As I stated earlier I paid about $70 for 800 CCI SRP there but I didn't notice they were magnums. If you think primers are expensive, they had used AR's at $1,600.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    If you think primers are expensive, they had used AR's at $1,600.
    In my neck of the woods it's easier to find a $700 AR than it is to find a Glock 19.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Well . . . . let's see . . . . 5K primers for $725 equals .145 cents per primer (I didn't figure in shipping as to wasn't mentioned.) Hmmmmm . . . can anyone spell f l i n t l o c k? Crazy times . . . .
    You mean, $0.145 per primer or 14.5 cents per primer.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I'm always shocked to see Gunbroker prices. Primers are rare, but they still sell for a lot less on certain gun forums on a regular basis.

The hand written been on the wall for some time. Sad to see it this bad now. I think it is worst then it was back in 2010 and 2014 about into 2015 and 16.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

^^^^yep when the high mag capacity ban was in affect and everyone panic bought every magazine in existence over 10 rounds for the price of a second mortgage. I’m sure they felt dumb when everything went back to normal price. Same with the AR panic buy years ago(like now). Twenty to thirty dollar high capacity magazines were going for a coupe hundred dollars...if you could find one. Then Trump got into office and everyone that paid $1500 to $2500 for a DPMS Oracle was about ready to hang themselves. Most Panic buyers had buyers remorse and were all crying that they got hosed. Most around here thought they overpaid for a gold mine and keep thinking their “Smart investment” would increase in value. Lol . I can remember tons of over priced ARs trying to get unloaded and no one buying them afterwards....then then the prices hit an all time low. Manufacturers and retailers Stockpiled everything in AR thinking they were going to get rich because Hillary was going to be president and then have been wholesaling and liquidating them literally to the public the last couple years...serves em right. It’s been the best last couple years to buy anything AR anything ever.... till the first of this year with the pandemic and election causing the normal broken record panic buy and prove jump....again. In years past I can remember anything AR 10 used to be thousands of dollars. I bought a couple of complete AR 10 uppers for under $300 this past year. The stupidity will quit when the stupid people stop panic buying and overpaying. It’s the law of supply and demand. I have just conditioned myself to make sure I have everything I need in my inventory to reload and shoot the year before an election the last couple of decades. I leave the price gouging to the left wingers who are opposed to guns panic buy them to protect their toilet paper. It’s always nice to buy them for pennies on the dollar when fake news tells them the world is safe again a year later and they sell them off for pennies on the dollar. I’ve leaned to buy things I don’t need on sale over the years so I can trade back and forth for things of similar interest in tones like this if ever run out of anything. I plan on grabbing at least one more brick of large magnum pistol and magnum large rifle for $39.99 next week just because that’s my normal CCI going rate for the last couple of years here. I have only 300 LMR primers in stock and about 1300 LMP right now. I have a few thousand or more of everything else accept for small pistol primers which I don’t reload for. I f shoot my 300 and 375 RUM 300 times the way it is with my current LMR primer inventory in my lifetime I’d be shocked. But for another $40 and another 1000 primers I’m covered and don’t ever have to worry about it again. But as far as everything else everyone is looking for it’s just like the stock market. It will bounce back just like history repeats itself. I remember the last 22lR ammo panic buy a couple of years ago...and then you could walk in and buy it everywhere. For close to normal price again.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-11-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    It will settle down again, just be patient. It is not the end of the world, despite what some people thing.

I am usually just amused at the panic buying of different things, and the why of it.

FWIW, I am kinda glad people buy guns at a time like this. More people who are armed the better as far as I'm concerned.

As for ammo and components, might be a bit longer this time with Remington being broken up. Hopefully they will get their ammo operation back up and running quickly.

Yeah Charlie, I’m with you. The Remington primer thing scared me. I have a couple of gins that shoot .3” 200 yard groups with Remington primers. Luckily a member here gave me one heck of a deal yesterday so my unicorn primers are covered and back in inventory. I’m sure I could reinvent the world and work up and down with the same load into green increments with CCI primers till I find the sweet spot again but I didn’t wanna have to cross that path if I don’t have to. At the rate Remington is going who knows if they were going to ever make primers again. I have parts on back order from Remington warranty dept from the first of the year that I never received and probably won’t until I call whoever took takes them over when they’re back in production again.

I try and stay off gunbroker the last decade or so. I have bought some great deals on repast off of it. I picked up a 44 mag Ruger carbine and Remington 600 243 in years past. They were both buy it now options and both were in excellent shape and purchased for a lot less than local gun store prices. You just can’t to in a panic or hurry to purchase a specific item but when run into something that is such a great deal tht you just can’t pass it up it’s time to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-11-2020 at 07:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Yep - you're right Tim. I should have moved the decimal point over or put a $ sign and a ) in front of it. I stand corrected.

Jacketed components seem to be in decent supply in spite of panic buying. I have a good supply of components but the future is always uncertain when it comes to politics and unrest. It doesn't take a lot to sent the market into a tailspin. Remember how reasonable old Smith and Wessons were before they put a hole in the side of a revolver? That alone shot the prices of pre-lock guns up at once.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast