Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Lead & PC

Pure Lead & PC

Just for grins....

Last evening I took my `86 Miroku out to see just how fast I could push pure lead (PC'd) through it:

post-1: Mirror bore on dry patch
    post-2: Being "Extra Light," also fast/heavy enough to be headache material off a bench.

Boolit Master

YUP

People Will tell ya your untruthful. They wont believe. I know whats true as I have done it too!

PC can do much for our "cast bullet world". Im glad I have found it!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have the same boolit and I PC mine with Traffic Red....but I've never cast them with pure Pb. That's some mighty fine shootin. Looks like you found a winning combo for a load. A bit too fast for whitetails...(IMHO)...but it would do the trick for sure.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Yup its a fav I have the mold as well!

I havent used pure either but I have sent a pile of 20:1 down range!!

CW

Banned
    I believe that the 45/70 was designed for pure.

Nice job, a little scope tweaking and you've got it made.

Boolit Bub
    Why doe's your info look like a 1950's movie ransom note?

Boolit Buddy
    I am currently shooting up some pure lead powder coated 357s with awful results. The load is 7.7 gr Power Pistol with the Lee 158-rf. The load should be about 25k psi and it leads like crazy. A few recovered bullets from my revolvers show skidding based on the rifling engravements being wider than the rifling and wider on the first driving band. They are doing something funny in my slow twist rossi 92 also because I am getting leading in the middle of the barrel and they shoot a 6' not " group at 50 yards. I think they are so soft that they are obturating sideways and stripping the powder coat making much more friction than a harder bullet that doesn't slump as bad and scoots out the barrel. My softer bullets that shoot well show powder coat ground off of the base driving band and a hollow base forming.

I had high hopes for the load because I use lead barely harder than pure all the time with great luck. I resized the cases with the factory crimp die so the bullet doesn't get sized when seating.I had about 150 loaded up before I found out they shoot like a warm dog turd. I got about 50 left to pull or shoot and it sucks. I might dig a hole and bury them to be rid of them.

Boolit Master

Bullet diameter is largest contributor to leading. ESP IN REVOLVERS where you have barrel dia AND CYL diameter!!!

I shoot 20:1 @ 1400+ in my revolvers with no issues.

CW

Boolit Master

I was on a grins and giggles kick and bought plain base gas checks for 35 and 45 caliber. I have this pair of molds from Lee that are tapered base for percussion revolvers. One being a single cavity HP mold, the just RN, both dropping a 200 grains. I shot a bunch of lubed before I just went full on powder coating everything.

Having a 20" H&R 1871 Classic Carbine in 45 Colt I decided to warm things up a bit with IMR 4227 and quit at 1950 fps. I shot some checked, shot some just PCd and didn't notice a change in accuracy or perceived leading with dead soft lead. Let me tell you, the color case hardened crescent steel but plate is fantastic a transferring maximum perceived recoil with minimal loss to the shoulder. That little carbine is a bruiser! But, it really liked .454 LRB over a light charge of Bullseye for 950 fps. Soft round lead balls really mush on impact!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    I am currently shooting up some pure lead powder coated 357s with awful results. The load is 7.7 gr Power Pistol with the Lee 158-rf. The load should be about 25k psi and it leads like crazy. A few recovered bullets from my revolvers show skidding based on the rifling engravements being wider than the rifling and wider on the first driving band. They are doing something funny in my slow twist rossi 92 also because I am getting leading in the middle of the barrel and they shoot a 6' not " group at 50 yards. I think they are so soft that they are obturating sideways and stripping the powder coat making much more friction than a harder bullet that doesn't slump as bad and scoots out the barrel. My softer bullets that shoot well show powder coat ground off of the base driving band and a hollow base forming.

I had high hopes for the load because I use lead barely harder than pure all the time with great luck. I resized the cases with the factory crimp die so the bullet doesn't get sized when seating.I had about 150 loaded up before I found out they shoot like a warm dog turd. I got about 50 left to pull or shoot and it sucks. I might dig a hole and bury them to be rid of them.
    You say "I am getting leading in the middle of the barrel'' . Is there any roll marking on the barrel in that spot? If so firelaping might be something to look into.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

I kinda think of PCing as "adding a soft jacket" to my cast bullets. Copper condom bullets normally have very soft, pure lead cores, so why wouldn't a "soft jacketed" bullet work with PC? Haven't tried pure, yet, but I have some pretty soft "Mystery Metal" alloy (8-9 BHN?) that I have cast and PCed with good success...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I kinda think of PCing as "adding a soft jacket" to my cast bullets. Copper condom bullets normally have very soft, pure lead cores, so why wouldn't a "soft jacketed" bullet work with PC? Haven't tried pure, yet, but I have some pretty soft "Mystery Metal" alloy (8-9 BHN?) that I have cast and PCed with good success...
    I also PC, and try to get BHN 10 when I smelt, but often get down to 8 and 9. I'm shooting .38, .357, .45ACP and .45LC. All shoot fine.

I've tried pure lead in 230gr .452, but had trouble getting it out of the molds.

Since pure lead has a higher melting point than alloyed metal, I probably didn't have it hot enough.

Boolit Master

Your right "pure" lead for us casters is really MOSTLY pure as ya simply NEED some tim so the lead flows and fills proper like.

CW

Boolit Master

I am going to have to try this... I am thinking 32 H&R and 38/357. I am not sure I would want to try it in a 41 Mag yet. I have wondered about the "soft jacket" concept and I does look like there may be some validity to it. Would make for a great hollow point or WFN for hunting.

I’ve been wondering about this as I’ve just ordered my first mold ( H&G 503 clone).
    I was about to ask a question about this.
    Thanks for the info .

Boolit Bub
    I have a 5 gallon bucket of stick on wheel weights. I think i may do this with Hi-Tek coating for my 9mm. Will be fun to check out the expansion in water jugs.

Boolit Bub
    Cast 125 grain 9mm using pure stick on WW.
    PC Smoke Signal Blue
    Loaded over American Select
    Fired a 50 round test.
    Excellent results at 5, 10 & 15 yards.
    Bore shinny clean. Pushed a patch through to confirm.

Boolit Buddy
    For several yrs I have bought alloy from the guy @ Action Bullets in Quinter Kansas . His alloy was pure lead w/1% tin . I water cooled them . I have shot them from mild to wild with good accuracy . People have said I didn't gain much water cooling . When I asked him he said I was gaining a lot more than you might think for hardness . But , over a month ago I sent in an order and haven't received it . I have called about a dozen times and just got the answering machine. I have left messages --- no response . So , now it's back to looking for a supplier of alloy . Regards Paul

Boolit Master
    I use pure lead hollow points in my revolvers. Never had any leading with PC.

In rifles I shoot up to 1800fps with BHN 8 lead with no leading. It's so soft my seater dies leave marks on the boolits.

MEHAVEY,

I've got that mold and I can get it to around 1,700 PC'd and the accuracy holding together with RL +2%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast