Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any otherJ.C.Higgins lovers out there?

Boolit Bub
    I never went out seeking them at first, but once I found a model 29 or 30 (I forget which) in mint shape, I had them on my radar from that point on. I soon discovered it’s tough to find them in mint shape and that is a challenge I enjoy. Since they were working mans guns and often run into the ground from use, it’s very tough to find a minty specimen. I have managed to snag a nice selection of the semi auto versions and one mint BA version. Several have the rebadged weaver steel tube scopes on them. Often I like to take one for a walk on the farm. I believe many, if not all, are pre-68 and have no serial numbers....just a cool tidbit of history.

Boolit Master

I have three J.C. Higgins firearms
    my first rifle a .22 single shot
    a model 50 30-06 FN Mauser 98 action with a barrel by High Standard
    a 9 shot revolver / swing out cylinder .22 caliber made by High Standard

Sears was the first store I applied for credit as a teenager in High School. And they issued me a Sears credit card, and that started my credit "history". Sears was a very good company for a very long time.
    Last edited by atr; 06-20-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

No guns, but I do have a J.C.Higgins scope. Pretty sure it's a trademarked Weaver G4, but it has a Litschert objective on it. Going to go on a Stevens 44 that I just resurrected.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Recently found a J. C. Higgins scope for a 22, looks like a Weaver.

Several years age I was looking at a J.C. Higgins 30-06 bolt action at a gun show, priced $195. Later I realized I was looking at a Winchester Model 70, OH MY.

Boolit Master
    Ten years ago I picked up a single shot JC Higgins bolt action 22 rimfire in excellent shape at a gun show for 75 dollars.
    No serial number on it.
    An older gentleman had it at a table.
    It is the twin to one that was stolen from my family home in a burglary.
    Mine had no serial number as well.
    I was elated to get it back although I have no way to tell if it's the same one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Ten years ago I picked up a single shot JC Higgins bolt action 22 rimfire in excellent shape at a gun show for 75 dollars.
    No serial number on it.
    An older gentleman had it at a table.
    It is the twin to one that was stolen from my family home in a burglary.
    Mine had no serial number as well.
    I was elated to get it back although I have no way to tell if it's the same one.
    Is yours the Model 41? I have one, with a little round knob to cock it. I can spend all day at the range with that little gun, some targets and a couple of boxes of ammo.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

It’s not a J C Higgins, but I have a Sears Ted Williams M 340 single shot lever action rifle. This rifle is basically the Ithaca M 49 rifle but mine does not have the fake magazine tube, just a round barrel.
    I don’t think anyone else made the rifle like this so it is a little unique to Sears branded guns.
    One thing you wouldn’t expect from a sub $ 20 rifle is the accuracy it has ! I have a 2.5 compact scope on it and with decent 22 Lr ammo it shoots 5/8” groups @ 50 yards.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 07-20-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My first pulled from a trash bin is a JC Higgins model 42 DL (Marlin 780) 22 that was missing the firing pin tip. Made firing pins from finishing nails, then a piece of broken drill bit and finally a real replacement pin.

I bought one that was obviously a Marlin bolt action .22. I gave $40 to a watermelon farmer for it. The rear sight had a copper washer soldered on for a peep sight.
    I cut the barrel to 16.5", hand cut a front dovetail for a bead sight and installed an unknown peep on the rear. When my daughter got old enough, I shortened the buttstock and baked GunKote on for the metal finish.
    Later she and I "tiger striped" the stock with a torch, sanded it down, and finished it with Tru Oil. I drilled and tapped it and scoped it and she proved very deadly with it.
    She's in her 30s now and it's still her .22 of choice. It's a JC Higgins model1034326781something haha.
    Sears model numbers were ridiculous.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a jc Higgins 31 that I inherited from my dad. He bought it new, and I couldn't begin to guess how many squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, pigs, and who knows whatever else has been shot with it. Wonderfully accurate, and dependable, as long as care is taken when reassembling after cleaning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12