Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any otherJ.C.Higgins lovers out there?

Boolit Master

Any otherJ.C.Higgins lovers out there?

I only own 3 of them, 1 I inherited from my brother, Model 31, 2 I bought, a Model 29 and a model 41. The 31 and 29 are auto loaders, and the 41 is a bolt action single shot. All are accurate and fun to shoot. The 31 I have taken squirrel hunting and come back with 6 or more with head or neck shots. Its the gun, not the shooter, I assure you. The 29 and 31 were made by High Standard, the 41 by Marlin. If I run across any more for a decent price, I'll probably pick them up.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I just sold a nice Sears 30/06 on Belgian Mauser action.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I only own 3 of them, 1 I inherited from my brother, Model 31, 2 I bought, a Model 29 and a model 41. The 31 and 29 are auto loaders, and the 41 is a bolt action single shot. All are accurate and fun to shoot. The 31 I have taken squirrel hunting and come back with 6 or more with head or neck shots. Its the gun, not the shooter, I assure you. The 29 and 31 were made by High Standard, the 41 by Marlin. If I run across any more for a decent price, I'll probably pick them up.
    For my 16th birthday my Grandma gave me a present. We were sitting around the table, the whole family. I opened the box and pulled out a JC Higgins model 88. Was taught gun safety early on as a kid, so I opened the cylinder first thing to check if it was safe. Low and behold my Grandma gave me a loaded revolver for my birthday. It was my Grandpas gun and had been sitting in a dresser drawer since he passed away. My Grandma just grabbed it and threw it in a box and wrapped it up.

But yeah it is one of my favorite guns being my Grandpas and the funny story of how I got it.

Back in the 90's a customer's widow came in and wanted me to buy her husband's guns
    so her street gang thug kids wouldn't have them.

She wanted $50 for a JC Higgins model 30 semi-auto .22LR that looked like it hadn't been fired 50 times,
    and didn't have a scratch on it.

A life long friend fell in love with it, so I passed it on to him for the same price.
    He's gone, but his kids treasure it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Hi-Standard Sport King 22 auto a good many years ago, really liked it. Over the next several years I found three marked Sears or J. C. Higgins for next to nothing. All of then functioned well and and were accurate enough. I tend to look at then as two rifles and a parts department.

Boolit Buddy
    Got a Model 30 JC Higgins 22 semiauto from a friend a few years ago for $125. This one is a keeper; it eats everything and shoots better than I can. Thank you High Standard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I just sold a nice Sears 30/06 on Belgian Mauser action.
    Those are kinda like unicorns, seldom seen. Models 50 and 51. Built by High Standard, one on a Mauser action and the other on a husquavarna action. Both had chrome lined barrels.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

This one was a m50, action said made in Belgium. Didn’t know HI STD put them together. I think during same time frame Hi STD was marketing a BA under their name, I thought they contracted them built over seas. That does make sense since Hi STD made lots of guns for Sears label. Just learned something! I’ve owned 4 of them 30/06 and 270s. I gave one to a buddy of mine who had it barreled to 338/06 , trigger and stock. $1100. Attachment 268792

Boolit Master

I just cleaned up a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump. Very sluggish action, cracked in 2 places on the butt stock, no butt plate. The bluing was ok.

First disassembled and cleaned. It needed it from powder residue and stuff such as leaves and pine needles. Then cut barrel off and crowned at 19 inches. Put new brass bead on it.

Used Oxpho blue to clean the guns metal up to look good. The butt was stripped of finish, cracks were epoxied and sanded to smooth after cutting it down. A recoil pad was then fitted.

Three coats of true oil with the second taken down with 00 steel wool. The last coat wiped off with a clean rag. Made the butt match the corn cob forend.

Gun was acquired for $80 at auction. waiting for a $6.00 barrel band to come in for the forward sling swivel to arrive. Rear stud has been installed.

Son shot the gun already with RB loads at 50 yards it will Kill!

Total cost with sling will be around $110.00

Boolit Master

Research it and find out who made it. Winchester made some of the shotguns. Numrich Arms may have parts for it, under the Winchester model. My 41 was also a Marlin 101.

Banned
    Not yet, only because I have not found one. I am interested in the single shot 22's.

I do have a new in the box JC Higgins reloading press. They were made C-H.

Boolit Master

I found a list of J.C. Higgins firearms and their manufacturers on Wikipedia by simply doing a Google search of J.C.Higgins firearms. Wikipedia is useful, but not necessarily "proven" facts, so I think would take it with a grain of salt.
    There were a couple I was unfamiliar with, and a couple I will be on the lookout for.
    Last edited by gbrown; 10-04-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add info

I also have a grungy JC Higgins 12g pump with rib & choke. Have had it in project pile and never got to it. Usually cut off old pumps and put sights or scopes on them for slugs. These are made by HI-STD. and make good sluggers with solid frame. I have noticed that you can take guns like that to a show. $200 or less on tag and nobody gives them a look. Put the hacksaw to it 18.5”, and it will sell fast.

Boolit Buddy

My first revolver was a J.C
    Higgins mod. 88, still have it. Also had a pump shotgun , mod. 20 I think. Both made by High Standard. Good guns.

Boolit Master

What's funny, to me, is that 10 years or so ago, you could find these for well less than $100. My Mod. 29 cost under $100 including FFL & shipping off GB some 10-15 years ago. Was sold as a parts gun. Spent $20-$40 at Numrich Arms for magazine follower and something else. Had a good, accurate shooter. Now, they go for $150 and up. I stumbled on to the mod. 41 in a pawn shop. Got it for $80, and wondered why it was so much.

Boolit Master

Something I ran across while researching my Model 41. FYI Table of Firearms Sears sold by Sears #, and Manufacturer and their model #.

https://gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

It is very hard to find much info on the Firearms with Sears logo.
    I have studied the Sears Model 54 & Ted Williams Model 100 Lever Actions for years.
    Even though they were by Winchester, nobody has any manufacture dates.
    I have put together a timeline and work on it from time to time.
    The Sears Model 45 was built by Marlin, and used the same date codes as Marlin.
    Earlier versions had the JC Higgins logo, later had Sears.
    Some claim the quality determine which logo, but it's really a timeline which makes the call.
    I've even studied the Snowmobiles with the Sears Logo, they sold a lot of stuff.

AntiqueSledMan.

Over the years I have owned 4-5 of them, right now I have a Sears / Ted Williams M 340 22 single shot rifle that was made by Erma of Germany. It is similar to the Ithaca M 49 except it doesn’t have the fake magazine tube under the barrel.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 for my single shot jchiggins.
    Shoot better than I do.
    I love it.

Christmas 1952 (10 years old), I was given a J.C. Higgins 102.25 410 gage bolt action shotgun made by Stevens. I still have it and it is still in perfect working condition.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast