Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Benchmade Knives

Boolit Buddy

Benchmade Knives

I like a good knife as much as the next guy, and over the decades I’ve collected a few that I really like and use for different things.

Have sort of rediscovered Benchmade as a knife option. The other day I was in Cabela’s with a bunch of Cabela’s points burning a hole in my pocket, and I picked up an interesting Benchmade knife called the “Bugout.” Folder with an S30V blade and polymer scales. No metal liners. Interesting because it weighs maybe less than 2 oz., and when it’s in my pocket with the pocket clip I don’t even feel it. You could easily dress a deer with it, probably an elk if you had to, and it’s handy as heck. Very pricey, in my mind, at $129.

After I bought it, I looked it up on the internet to learn a little about it, and that looking led me to the Benchmade 940. Just ordered one of those as well.

The only Benchmade that I’ve had prior to this was an automatic that I picked up years ago, and recently sent back to Benchmade to have the springs replaced in it (they also re-sharpened it, though I didn’t request it).

Anyhow, I think I might really like this Bugout model for an everyday carry pocket folder.

8mmFan

The owner of Benchmade is anti-gun. I knew him in the early 80's when I did the photography for Emerson-Balisong. Recently, he offered to cut up confiscated guns with his metal working tool. I won't spend five cents with any anti-gun owned business. If you doubt what I'm saying, look it up....
    Last edited by gnostic; 09-27-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The owner of Benchmade is anti-gun. I knew him in the early 80's when I did the photography for Emerson-Balisong. Recently, he offered to cut up confiscated guns with his metal working tool. I won't spend five cents with any anti-gun owned business. If you doubt what I'm saying, look it up....
    I don’t know the owner, but the company was engaged by law enforcement to cut up guns. The guns were going to be destroyed by somebody, Benchmade was just the tool. Sure they could have taken a position that they would never destroy a gun (as if they are sacred relics), but it wouldn’t have changed anything.

They’ve made some good knives over the years, and I’ve owned maybe 5, other than that I know nothing about the company.

I had a 3310 OTF knife and loved it. I sold it to finance a gun purchase, but am looking for another.

I had a Barrage model assisted opener. The spring assist mechanism bound up and wouldnt work smooth. The knife was bought new. I returned it for repair. Well it came back and did the same thing again. When it returned next time I took it to the gun store without even taking it out of the box. I held my breath as the guy inspected it and flicked it open a few times.

Boolit Master

Benchmade made the offer to destroy them , I found one on a barge at work gave it away , I to will spend no dime on them they should be sold at starbucks another company who dislikes firearms and the Constitution .

Emerson and I were talking at my studio about the quality of my Lugers. He said the metal the new guns were made of would grind up the tools the Lugers were made with. He also told me, he couldn't own a gun any longer as a result of a plea deal involving a gunfight he was involved in. My take on it is, he can't own a gun but he will destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Thanks for posting. I did not know they are anti-gun. I have 1 I purchased in the 90's won't bother looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I don’t know the owner, but the company was engaged by law enforcement to cut up guns. The guns were going to be destroyed by somebody, Benchmade was just the tool. Sure they could have taken a position that they would never destroy a gun (as if they are sacred relics), but it wouldn’t have changed anything.
    I have very little patience for the "Nuremberg Defense." From law enforcement it is the classic version: "I / We were only following orders." From LEO unions it is: "We were only protecting our members." From companies and their leadership it is: "If we did not take the contract someone would." No matter which group and which version it is no defense of or excuse for their actions against individuals and indivdual rights.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    You say that you see Benchmade’s position as a “Nuremberg defense” and say “it is no defense of or excuse for their actions against individuals and indivdual rights.” Can you explain what individuals or individual rights were acted against by Benchmade?

Guns are just tools, pieces of metal, wood, plastic shaped to meet a purpose. They are not people, they are not holy relics, and they do not individually embody any rights. These specific guns were presumably the legally acquired property of the city, and wouldn’t it be an affront to the rights of the citizens of that city to prevent them from disposing of their property however they want?

Round here, guns gathered by the cops are sold at auction, not destroyed.

I'm a knife guy, so while I don't care for their gun stance, I still want a 3310 again. They are pro cop, so I guess they are pro cops having guns, just not us.

Leatherman is anti gun too, but I carry one daily. Reason is that while other multitool companies may be pro gun, their tools do not fill my needs. I drink coke, I hear tell they are anti too, Pepsi is too, wife drinks that. Guess I could collect rainwater. In today's world there just isn't any way around giving your money to at least some companies that are anti gun. Factor in who supports abortion and gays, and you won't purchase much of anything.

Boolit Buddy
    For these anti-American companys only way to make a point is to not patronize them, same as a restaurant that or any business that has no guns on door I turn around and walk away with my money still deep in my pocket.