WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas check crimping

Boolit Mold
    Try installing a gas check on top of your sizing stem(it will probably be a tight fit) and then run it up thru the sizing die. This will make a “shim” on top of your stem that you place your gc bullets on and then run thru nose first. Basically increasing diameter of sizing stem so gc doesn’t crease down around stem.

Boolit Master
    GoBig: That's a nice write up regarding the problems you've been having with the gas checks. With hunting season coming up your best bet is probably to go with conventional bullet lube. The powder coat is going to increase the diameter of both the gas check shank and the bore riding section of the nose. These are going to be separate problems to solve. If you're using a Lee push through sizer, here's something you can try; Take a piece of 1/8" thick flat steel - only needs to be an inch wide by 3" or 4" long. Place your bullet with the gas check on the shank on top of the "push through post", and hold that piece of metal against the bottom of the die. Pull the handle on your press to raise the ram, and when the nose of the bullet contacts against the piece of metal it should seat the gas check on the shank. It should only take a little bit of pressure, not Godzilla strength force, to square up and seat the gas check. Then let the ram down a little bit, pull the piece of metal out of the way, and then push the bullet up through the sizing die. If this works OK it should seat the gas check on square and then crimp it in place. After the bullet is sized try swirl lubing them with either Lee Liquid Alox, or with 45-45-10. Once this lube coating has dried on see how they shoot.

I was having a problem with powder coating bore riding bullets. I like bore riders because they are very accurate, but the powder coating was making the nose too fat to chamber. I worked up a process where I was able to powder coat the driving bands, but leave the nose bare. Even though these are gas checked & powder coated bullets, I swirl lube them anyway. I did a write up on them last year and called these things "hybrid bullets". It's really labor intensive to make them, but they work good. Because you're up against the clock with hunting season approaching I think you should go with the more traditional approach and just size and lube your bullets. Get the venison first, then experiment around to see if a different mold or technique might work better.

Boolit Bub
    I have tried seating checks as you suggest while trying remedy the problem and it didn’t help. The checks seat well with minimal finger pressure. Powder cost has been abandoned for this bullet because of the issues you point out. One day I’ll get a mold appropriately for powder coat with a plain base for plinking. After polishing the inside of the size die, the checks crimp square and properly, with no lip. I’ve pan lubed with a batch of Ben’s Red and will load some test rounds this weekend with 3031, to be fired as schedule allows. Maybe one day I’ll get a lube sizer, pan lubing is messy and time consuming. I will look for your write up. I thought about trying to powder coat only the drive bands but couldn’t think of an efficient and consistent way of doing it.

Boolit Master

I have found the NOE Mold tools to be the answer to most all GC seating problems. The gas check expanders for my over sized .434" bullets and the too much PC on the boolit base, the floating gas check seater that nearly always seat the checks squarely, and the boolit chamfer tool. I find seating base first through any of the Lee type (and NOE) sizers works best and NOE has an adapter to hold NOE nose punches (Lyman/RCBS and Saeco types).

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...-checks-tools/
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ol-power-tool/
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Ok, if gc has “rim” on bottom just run your gc thru your sizing die… then put your gc bullet on that “shim” you just produced and they size with no “rim”. Sorry but I thought this initial thread was about gc base deformation and that will solve that problem powder coated or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12