Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Lube for cast pistol bullets.

With any of my pistol or rifle bullets, I am jumping back and forth between BAC or Carnauba Blue. I can not pick the best one for the job. They both work great but I tend to like the color blue that the Carnauba Blue puts out. I am only casting for the 45-70,44 mag. 45 Colt and 40 S&W.

Boolit Grand Master

Handguns and 30 cal. rifle @ 2,000 fps ... tested by me over the last 45 years .

Lithi-Bee bullet lubricant . Soft lube . Simple to make .

1 part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky)
    3 parts Beeswax

Amounts can be measured by weight in ounces / pounds ... 1/3 ratio .
    Gulf Wax Canning Paraffin can be added if the lube is too soft .
    I've never had a lead problem with this lube ... tried many but keep coming back .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Was using BAC, as i previously recommended, and it's still an excellent choice. However I ran out and have lots of 2500+ so I thought I'd try it on pistol bullets as it's excellent on rifle bullets. 2500+ is working excellently across the velocity range from 600 fps up through 3000 fps.
    Good to hear that.

When I was stocking up for SHTF, I bought 20 sticks of 2500+ and 20 sticks of CR. I have 10 bottles of One-Step to make the original BLL.

Doubtful I will ever need cast rifle bullets but being prepared gives me comfort. I figured CR for .223; 2500+ for the .30/30's and .308's; and BLL for the pistol bullets.

I am not into making lubes I will use in the Star or Lyman 45's. Buying from Lars is not expensive and his stuff works.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Been using Larsen's 45-45-10 on pistol bullets. Both TL boolits, and traditional lube groove boolits.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Several years ago I went on a search for a lube that produced less smoke. Some wise participants here ostracized me for such blasphemy. Apparently they were single shot rifle shooters; I’m a USPSA shooter. Sucks when you have a good run going and then the target disappears behind the smoke. I learned two things. All lubes smoke and they all were satisfactory for my .40 S&W to prevent leading. I finally started powder coating. The gun runs cleaner and the smoke was eliminated.

Back to the original question, your SPG will work just fine for handgun boolits.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris