RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer choice for M1 Garand?

I can't really imagine any particular large rifle primer being unsuitable for this purpose. Besides, it's not like you have much of a choice these days!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14D8F54B-CB86-46E3-8905-1D59D6376561.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	270042
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Any EXCEPT the Federal!
    Both me and my older brother experienced slam fires , 3 decades apart. In both instances , Federal primers were part of the accident chain.
    Also, never drop the bolt on a partially chambered round. Always use a clip, either a single shot adapter or two shot adapter .
    If you must chamber a single round manually , do so by slowly closing the bolt, and bump the bolt closed by pushing the bolt closed with the heel of your hand.
    We both got lucky, the actions weren’t destroyed by the out of battery firing . My stock was shattered. Locking lug recess was chipped.
    I only use the CCI large rifle or #34 primers.
    I’ll keep this in mind for CMP shooting. Prone is single fire. Using WLR primers I never had any issues. Took second in state this year with a 275 4X.

Boolit Mold
    It's better if you stick with one brand of primer but any LR primer will do. I use Win and CCI but have used a lot of Federal and Rem. For those of you that say Federals are to sensitive please check on the DCM website. Creedmoor Sports loads all 30/06 and 7.62x51 ammo for the DCM and they state in their descriptions that a Federal 210M primer is used for all loadings. If you've ever experienced a slam fire either the primer was sitting proud in the case or your rifle is out of spec and needs repair.

Boolit Master

I have heard this tale of the Federal primers being too sensitive for years and have found no credible evidence to back it up. I don't think Creedmoor or CMP would go out on a limb if there was any credible evidence to point to the Federal primers. I have been using Federal primers for years in my Garands and have never had a slam fire. I was told by a M1 Garand expert(specializing in building M1 Match rifles as well as regular use Garands) the same thing that Kfisch stated, if you had a slam fire you had a high primer or the rifle is out of specification. John Garand designed a great rifle but like all machinery, it can be compromised by worn or broken parts. I have used Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington primers over the years and never had problems with any of them concerning slam fires or failure to fire. I seat my primers fully and flat against the bottom of the primer pocket. Do that and you should have no problems. But I would advise you to use the primer you feel comfortable with. After all, you are not going to do your best shooting if you are not at ease in your mind with your rifle and its ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used CCI primers when I was shooting my M1 a lot, because that’s just what I had around at the time. I don’t see why the Winchester brand shouldn’t work well. I use a lot of them these days in other guns without any problems.

Moderator Emeritus
    [QUOTE=Larry Gibson;No federals"?????? What do you thing is the primer in Federal match 308W.[/QUOTE]

Well, they don’t use Federal bullets or Federal powder in that load so do you know that the primers are Federal?

In SP primers, Federal ARE more sensitive than any others I have tried. My PPC revolver only goes bang when I use Federal primers. I don’t have any idea if the LR are more or less sensitive than other brands.

Boolit Master
    While on active duty training with an M14, I was shooting blanks during a training exercise and I had a blank blow the bolt out of the receiver and strike me in right eye.
    My eyeglass lense was punched out of the frame and the lense didn't break but my eye muscle was slammed back so hard I couldn't open my eye.
    I thought the eye was gone and my fa e was blackened and full of tiny brass flecks.
    The unbroken lense was practically embedded in the eye socket of my skull.
    The Eye people popped the lense out and I couldn't open my eye.
    They pried my eyelid open and stuck me in the eye with a long needled hypodermic.
    ssaid it was
    a muscle relaxant.
    They bandaged up my eye and gave me little tubes of brown grease to pry open my eye and use 3x a day. Fit for duty, back to the field.
    I stumbled around going along up and down dale. finally the eye stayed open.
    Grubby fingered guys helped me put the grease in 3x daily and the bandage fell off the first day.
    Army said only load cartridges from magazines

For single load, never let the bolt slam on the cartridge.
    Lower slowly, then seat round with bolt down and gently hit slide release with heel of hand.
    I can still see ok out of that eye.
    The m16 rifle would all leave a tiny dent in a chambered round and sometimes they would fire if you held it by the carrying handle and pointed it straight up when clambering a round.
    I have also noticed that faint dent on 9mm and 40 caliber pistol shells.
    An Army MP told me that at the end of a duty shift, when unloading their weapons, they all threw the round they had chambered with the dented primers into a waste can in the armory.
    Only done at certain duty stations.
    I know state cops from MO. who reload practice ammo and will only use the CCI #34 hard primer to load their .40 caliber with.
    What are the chances of......?
    You do a thing often enough and I think your chances can improve.
    That 's my story, another one.
    RA all the way.
    Hardball does it all.
    Cast lead like fresh baked bread.
    Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
    Old soldiers never die.They just fade away.
    Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 08-11-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Glad I had the foresight (and extra money!) to buy 5K of the CCI #34's several years ago. I've got more M2 ball loaded up and stashed than I'd want to move, and still have several thousand primers.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Larry Gibson;No federals"?????? What do you thing is the primer in Federal match 308W.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Well, they don’t use Federal bullets or Federal powder in that load so do you know that the primers are Federal?
    Federal doesn't make powder, Federal doesn't make Sierra 168/175 MKs but Federal does make primers. They would use their own primer because if they used others they would pay mark up and shipping. Using their own increases profit and profit is always bottom line. Additionally they probably think their primers are the best so would use them especially to make their lawyers happy considering product liability.

What makes you think they wouldn't use their own primers?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    To avoid confusion: The DCM hasn't been around for years; it's now the CMP.

I mostly use CCI LR primers in M1 and M14 style rifles. I some times use WLR when I don't have CCIs.

Boolit Master

I tend to agree with Larry too.

Over the years, I have literally fired 10s of thousands of CCI standard LR primers through my M1s, because "that was what I used." Zero problems. I had actually never heard of the CCI 34 primer when I started reloading back in the 80s. Even when I learned of them I never saw the need to switch.

Recently I did read an Ed Harris piece (and I really do like and respect his stuff) and he recommended Winchester as an alternative to the CCI 34s. So, since I could get them I switched. Still zero problems.

Banned
    Hey it is like this if you have not had a problem why make one up? I shot high power for years with a garand and a m1a never had a problem. Used all kinds of lrm primers

Boolit Master
    I read Brian Pearce's article in Handloader Magazine on handloading for the M1. I have not loaded 30-06 in a spell, but been thinking about loading some. His statements about primers and slam fires got my attention. Two factors at play, 1. the condition of the M1, and 2 the primers and the depth they are seated. So I have decided to size and trim some commercial brass and seat the primers by feel to where I know they have bottomed out. Then I intend to load a few in a clip and see if the primers are at all dimpled when cycled through the action. If they are not at all dimpled by my particular M1 then I figure they will be ok. Probably be using either Win Large Rifle Primers, or CCI Large Rifle Primers.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    JoeJames: I think you will find dimples on those primers. I think the free moving nature of the firing pin will leave a mark, but not set off the primer.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I mostly used WLRs in thousands of 7.62 and 30-06 match loads for M1A/M14s and M1s. Also used a lot of CCI and federals. "No federals"?????? What do you thing is the primer in Federal match 308W ammo? They work fine. Any problems from slam fires is one of "reloader error" (not seating the primer completely), too light a trigger job or a defective weapon. Most often the first two.......
    I agree 101% with Mr. Gibson re his suggested causes of slam fire. A really close friend had one which pretty much destroyed his Garand and the "post mortum" cause was clearly believed the rifle's throat was so neglected the cases were not being fully seated -- e.g., same as a raised primer, but the entire case! Since that incident, I actually took the chamber cleaning brush which had been stored in butt, and use it. My first attempt was a real muscle-challenge for me, my M1's throat was indeed so crudded up. I do suggest the acquisition and use of a chamber brush!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamber Brush.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	287804
    Again, I strongly agree with Mr. Gibson's suggestions, with the friendly addition to brush that throat!

Boolit Master
    When Federal loads milspec ammo, it uses a milspec primer not sold commercially. Only recently did CCI start selling #34 and #41 primers. I wonder why???

I too shot several thousand rounds loaded with Federal #210 before I experienced my slam fire.
    IF I had been loaded with CCI I have no doubt I would NOT have experienced a slam fire.

Your rifle, your hands and eyes!
    Choose wisely. I got lucky! That time...
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 08-27-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Master

One thing to keep in mind to prevent slam fires is to ALWAYS feed your ammo from an enbloc clip.
    Don`t place a round in the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it.
    Feeding from the clip slows the speed of the bolt when it closes.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used Winchester primer by default I suppose ... years before I bought a Garand or an M1A I was buying Winchester primers by the case for bolt rifles . When the semi-auto rifles came along they naturally were fed Winchester primers . Some years later someone said I should be using CCI #34 because if I didn't , my gun would blow up ........ I've heard that line before I'm sure .

Well I tried the CCI and they didn't work any better or worse than the Winchester . Never tried the Federal or the Remington but I tend to agree if you seat the primer below flush and feed from a SLED , en-bloc or magazine , chance of the rifle starting a rapid disassembly is low .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    While on active duty training with an M14, I was shooting blanks during a training exercise and I had a blank blow the bolt out of the receiver and strike me in right eye.
    My eyeglass lense was punched out of the frame and the lense didn't break but my eye muscle was slammed back so hard I couldn't open my eye.
    I thought the eye was gone and my fa e was blackened and full of tiny brass flecks.
    The unbroken lense was practically embedded in the eye socket of my skull.
    The Eye people popped the lense out and I couldn't open my eye.
    They pried my eyelid open and stuck me in the eye with a long needled hypodermic.
    ssaid it was
    a muscle relaxant.
    They bandaged up my eye and gave me little tubes of brown grease to pry open my eye and use 3x a day. Fit for duty, back to the field.
    I stumbled around going along up and down dale. finally the eye stayed open.
    Grubby fingered guys helped me put the grease in 3x daily and the bandage fell off the first day.
    Army said only load cartridges from magazines

For single load, never let the bolt slam on the cartridge.
    Lower slowly, then seat round with bolt down and gently hit slide release with heel of hand.
    I can still see ok out of that eye.
    The m16 rifle would all leave a tiny dent in a chambered round and sometimes they would fire if you held it by the carrying handle and pointed it straight up when clambering a round.
    I have also noticed that faint dent on 9mm and 40 caliber pistol shells.
    An Army MP told me that at the end of a duty shift, when unloading their weapons, they all threw the round they had chambered with the dented primers into a waste can in the armory.
    Only done at certain duty stations.
    I know state cops from MO. who reload practice ammo and will only use the CCI #34 hard primer to load their .40 caliber with.
    What are the chances of......?
    You do a thing often enough and I think your chances can improve.
    That 's my story, another one.
    RA all the way.
    Hardball does it all.
    Cast lead like fresh baked bread.
    Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
    Old soldiers never die.They just fade away.
    Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.

The ONLY thing surprises me about your experience is that you failed to mention if or not they gave you that famous APC tablet...................the ONLY thing.

To this very day I utterly refuse to accept any medical benefit from my time in service, I would not urinate in the VA's eye if they were dying of thirst......!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    JoeJames: I think you will find dimples on those primers. I think the free moving nature of the firing pin will leave a mark, but not set off the primer.
    Ok, I sized, deprimed, champhered 16 fired commercial bras, and primed 4 with Winchester Large Rifle primers. Managed to get 8 in the clip w/out bullets, with the first two being primed. Pushed them home being wary of the famous M1 thumb. First two fed, after that the next hung up (will need to be resized again to take the dent out of the mouth of the brass btw). Anyhow the primed cases both showed very very small indents in the primers; as you expected, more of a slight mark than a full indentation. I used my ancient Lee Auto prime and seated the primers as deep as was possible. BTW being real OCD, I cleaned the primer pockets with a primer tool. Normally I do not do that, but in this case since I was dealing with the M1 and potential slam fire, I wanted them flat out deeply seated with no debris in there to cause them to be a bit high. I think they will be ok.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast