Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer choice for M1 Garand?

Primer choice for M1 Garand?

I have been unable to find CCI #34 primers, so I will have to work with what I have. I have current Win and CCI large rifle, and some older CCI Bench Rest and Federal Match primers, which should I use for a few hunting loads?
    Thanks, hc18flyer

Either one would be fine.
    I never had any problems with Win LR in mine, and always have a bunch on hand from repeat buys.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I only use Win LR in my Garand-- but that's just because they are what I could buy. They work fine. Haven't tried the others.
    Hick: Iron sights!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on Winchester WLR in the Garand and M1A.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Any EXCEPT the Federal!
    Both me and my older brother experienced slam fires , 3 decades apart. In both instances , Federal primers were part of the accident chain.
    Also, never drop the bolt on a partially chambered round. Always use a clip, either a single shot adapter or two shot adapter .
    If you must chamber a single round manually , do so by slowly closing the bolt, and bump the bolt closed by pushing the bolt closed with the heel of your hand.
    We both got lucky, the actions weren’t destroyed by the out of battery firing . My stock was shattered. Locking lug recess was chipped.
    I only use the CCI large rifle or #34 primers.

Boolit Master
    NO Federals!!!!!

Boolit Master

Have not had any problems with Wolf.

Boolit Master
    Before I knew any better I used a bunch of Federal primers and never had an issue. Due to shortages I have recently used a bunch more without any issue. I do load from a SLED or std clip and never let the bold slam on a cartridge in the chamber.

Boolit Master

I have used CCI standard LRPs for years with no issues.

Same here standard CCI and winchesters never had an issue
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    +1 on not using federal, and charlie b, I shot hundreds successfully before I experienced my slam fire

I use CCI large rifle primers. No problems.

DG

Another vote for CCI 200

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoline one View Post
    +1 on not using federal, and charlie b, I shot hundreds successfully before I experienced my slam fire
    I am over 1000 so far.

Boolit Grand Master

I mostly used WLRs in thousands of 7.62 and 30-06 match loads for M1A/M14s and M1s. Also used a lot of CCI and federals. "No federals"?????? What do you thing is the primer in Federal match 308W ammo? They work fine. Any problems from slam fires is one of "reloader error" (not seating the primer completely), too light a trigger job or a defective weapon. Most often the first two.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks everyone! I loaded some starting loads last night using Winchester LRP's , 46 and 46.5 grains of IMR 4895, under Hornady 150 grain soft points, in 78 Greek surplus brass. The primers sit down below the case. We will chrono them and see where we are at? hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    just worked up a good cast boolit load for mine. 200 grain noe sized .311 (VERY pointy bullet) over 35 grains of imr4895. cycles the action reliably and no problems hitting a 7x10 steel plate at 200 meters. happy days!
    one nice thing about the garand is the feed angle - the rounds feed into the chamber in nearly a straight line, which puts very little stress on the boolit as it enters. not a big deal with jacketed ammo, but a factor with cast. I have a DSA FAL that feeds at such a steep angle, it will sometimes deform the tips of cast rounds (no problem with jacketed).
    and to think John Garand gave this design to the US government in appreciation for being allowed to be a US citizen. the rioters (sorry "protestors") could learn from him.

Boolit Master

I have to agree with Larry. I have been using Federal primers in my Garand for years with no problems. I started using the Federals because they were much easier to find in my area than Winchester or CCI. My opinion on this is that if you have a slam fire in a Garand, you either have high seated primer or the rifle is worn and needs fixing. The Garand was designed to not slam fire and if all the components of the action are in spec and if proper ammo is used, it will not. I am old enough to have carried one when I first enlisted and I have never seen a Garand slam fire. my experience anyway, james

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I use CCI large rifle primers. No problems.
    Agree.

If I can't source the CCI's Mil-7.62 #34s, their Large Rifle primers also work fine.

That said, several local reloading/primer experts at my range have advised that CCI LR Magnum primers are essentially the same as their #34s.

Boolit Master
    May be a little OT so if the mods wish to move it ok. Anyone ever notice that different brands of primers are more popular in different parts of the country. Here in Louisiana Winchester's are more popular than others. While I haven't been to gunshows in quite awhile Remington's were more popular in NY and Winchesters a second place. I do use CCI 250 mag primers in my '06 jacketed rifle loads, and just use regular Winchesters for my Garand. Some may question my use of the mag primers in the '06 but am using IMR 4350. In fact my use of IMR 4350 and mag primers in at least 4 Winchester match rifles, one standard M70 and a Sako 75 Hunter has proven to me that it helps accuracy a lot. 168 gr SMK's and 165 Nosler ballistic tips. Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast