Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: winchester model 64

winchester model 64

ok all i got my gun back from my dad, and it's a winchester model 64. it's a 32 winchester special for the caliber. would anyone have any idea what one of these are worth. i have been looking around and everything i have seen is over 1k. is this number out of the ballpark. or is this a good number for it. thanks all guys

On Heaven's Range

jballs, sir;

Nice rifles. I'd like to own one like that, or the half-magazine Marlin in .32 Special.

There are ten pages of post-1899 Winchester lever-actions for sale on

www.gunsamerica.com

and I found at least a dozen M64s. The prices don't seem to be affected by whether they're .30-30 or .32 Special. Standard 64s are offered in the ballpark of $550-800, and they ALL are described as 90% or better condition...didn't anybody USE them?

DELUXE M64s are twice that price range, up in the $1400-1800 area.

I find Gunsamerica a very useful guide to current prices. As long as there are at least few examples available for sale, one can get a fair sense of real-world value. There are always a few blue-sky optimists who wildly overprice their stuff, but they stick out and are reasonably easy to detect.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

bruce yet agian thanks foer the great info.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    jballs: What BruceB said..I shopped long and hard to find the M64,32Sp.I wanted in that price range... as he said the Deluxe will run notably higher,as do the Carbines,and the 25/35's and 219 Zippers mostly start @ $1250(25/35) and $1500(zipper). Bring it to Winnemuccca in May and let the HighRollers compete!!!!!! (seriously,a good place to pick up a truely usable appraisal... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

forgot it was a carbine

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    jballs...my "BlueBook" (1-2 ed's out of date) says "add 60% for Carbine". I wouldn't personally go that much premium, (maybeso that's why i'm still without) Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Moderator Emeritus

jballs, I'm not a big collector, so take this with a grain of salt, but if your gun has checkering on the hammer spur, I think that's one thing that generally indicates it's a pre-WWII gun, which also ups the ante.

The darndest thing about having a really nice gun like that is, it's awfully tempting to capitalize on the $$$ it's worth, and let it go, but THEN you don't HAVE it any more to enjoy, so .... can't have your cake and eat it too I guess.

If it's a "family gun," then I'd KEEP IT, because there just aren't that many "family guns" in any given family, usually. I had a nice pre-war M-64 in .30/30, and sadly, traded it on a pre-64 M-70, which I'd wanted for many years. That M-64 shot REALLY well, and partially restored my faith in my tired eyes with a peep sight. I just never used it, and got my deer this year with the M-70. Kinda' regret trading it off, though, but it's in a buddy's good hands, so .... I MAY trade back one day. I think I know how that could be done, and HAVE thought about it. I'll probably make a move the day AFTER he trades or sells it to someone else. Welcome to nice guns, trading, etc.!

i looked there is checkering on it, the ser.# is is very low its not higher then 1,100,000 if that helps any

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918
    i looked there is checkering on it, the ser.# is is very low its not higher then 1,100,000 if that helps any
    #1,100,000 prob'ly rolled off the assembly line early in 1936, the 3rd year of production for the 64. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along