MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Boolit Master

Dear Remington,

If you kept making these, YOU'D STILL BE IN BUSINESS!!!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Thanks.

Your photos weren't showing up yesterday for some reason. There are there now though! Yeah, it's hard to shoot at a blur accurately. That's one thing that challenges me - to shoot consistently with those blurry open sights. I'm thinking of just slowing down and taking my time and firing fewer shots. I find myself moving my head around to try get the most ideal sight alignment. When the lighting is just right, I seem to be able to aim fairly well. It's never right at the range. To bright and from the wrong direction. I might try a shield over both rear and front sights to simulate aiming from indoors to out.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I simply cannot shoot accurately using open sights with my glasses on. I am nearsighted and the correction makes very close things a blur.
    I have found that without my correction, I can see the sights quite well, bit the target is a blur. This works okay for handgun where pinpoint accuracy isn't normally that important. Not so well with a rifle.
    I am thinking about getting a set of glasses that have no correction for my dominant eye and full correction for my off eye. I normally shoot with both eyes open anyway and this might make the target clear as well. I haven't had the extra money for the glasses yet so have not tried it.
    I am lucky in that my off eye is better than my dominant eye and does a better job of picking up the target at closer ranges. Still a problem at distance though.

303Guy----I think shading the sights was part of the reason for hoods over the front sight as well as keeping it from being bent. Your idea about putting a hood over the rear as well is interesting. I have never seen that done.

Hi guys. I've been out of it for a while although I did make it to the last range session. Things didn't work out well but getting things wrong is better than not shooting at all.

When I pulled the 510 out, I found I had left the bolt at home! Then I found I had left the scope for my Slazenger at home, so I put the 510 scope on it. It shot all over the place as though there was something loose in the scope. Let's see, what else went wrong? Oh yes, my paper patch loads for my Lee Enfield carbine were a disaster. Ah yes, and my lead alloy was a disaster too - supposed to be soft lead sheet but it's not. It's some strange but tough alloy, no good for paper patch boolits. Did I mention I was apparently having a prolonged reaction to the covid vax? Yeah, that too. The reason for being out of it for so long. Oh yes - my printer has bombed out too! Windows problem. So now I can't print my new patch design. Well, sometimes 'things' happen!

Aah well, at least I managed to get two nice little groups with my Toz 17. And of course, there are always interesting fellows at the range. I discovered the Association branch chairman lives just down the road from me! See, there's always a silver lining somewhere.

But, I am back!

(Until the next vax shot).
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-23-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 510 series got outsourced to Brazil at one time, and the outsourcing company sold some of them under their own name, Braztec. I have one, and it's sweet, but not as accurate as I'd hoped. I keep thinking about getting a Remington barrel and fitting to the action to get full value on it.

I've found that mine is fussy on which ammo. My 512 on the other hand was accurate with the cheap ammo I fed it out to 100 yds. Then it went south after fitting a suppressor. I found the bore was worn at the muzzle and the baffles were out of alignment. After cutting 1/2 " off the muzzle and fitting a new suppressor, it shot great with CCI subs.

My 510 was not shooting great until I improved the bedding. As it is now, the fore-end, chamber and action rear are bedded and it seems to shoot OK. I plan to fit a second mounting screw at the rear and to free float the barrel. now that I have an accuracy data base to compare it with.

I had some quiet fun this cool August evening by ventilating half of an old watermelon offhand with CCI subsonic hp. My 510 likes them and they hit to the sights at 40yds. Autumn and bushytails await....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

The 512 sights, front and rear will fit the 510. So if you removed them, you have a set of 510 sights. I collect 510s, 511s and 512s, have 12 of each, including the P models with the peep rear sights. The barrels on the P models are marked P.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I've found that I can no longer see the Remington sights too well. I do better with the rear sight closer to my eyes. I plan on moving the sights rearward. Epoxy is my friend.

Boolit Bub
    I have that rifle and would buy another. Mine is old, and been handed down, and does have aperture sights. It shoots lights out, and I mean that. Lights out on squirrels anyway. Buy it, whats better than another .22?
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Can't argue with that, beagle! 22's are great, 'specially old 22's.

I love those 500 teen series Remingtons. I have a 511, 512, 512P & I'm working on a 521T sporter project. The donor gun had a 513 stock, Crossman (Mossberg) 331 receiver sight & wasn't pretty.

The Crossman/Mossberg 331 sight had 10-32 threads. The prior owner had re-drilled & tapped the rear hole to 10-32 fairly well, but the front hole was slightly out of line. I've corrected that & sourced a Lyman 57RS rear sight.

Sorry: didn't mean to hijack the thread.

What In started out to say is perhaps a receiver sight would solve your problem. With that you would need only to concentrate on the front sight.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 09-21-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've an elderly 513T and since it did come with a redfield rear peep sight and a globe front. At 50 yds it just shot bug holes. But since it did have scope blocks on it, I put on an old redfield target scope and the holes got smaller. Nice balance and they aren't making any more of them. No mystery metal just blued steel and walnut. Frank

oldhenry, it's not hijacking, it's adding content.

I do have a target peep I will be fitting some time. At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the rifle to shoot well using a scope. At some point I'll be fitting a second action mounting screw and free floating the barrel. I do get distracted with other 22's though, not to mention playing around with a few Lee Enfields.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    oldhenry, it's not hijacking, it's adding content.

I do have a target peep I will be fitting some time. At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the rifle to shoot well using a scope. At some point I'll be fitting a second action mounting screw and free floating the barrel. I do get distracted with other 22's though, not to mention playing around with a few Lee Enfields.
    When you do the 2nd. action screw I think a photo would be of interest to many. I'd like to make such an alteration to my 521 "Sporter" project, but the magazine opening limits location for that 2nd. screw.

I did my 512. I'll take a photo of it for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many of those old .22's are amazing guns. Almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel...but I suspect many get damaged from people cleaning the barrel and not knowing what they are doing.

Nice gun .303Guy!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I guess I will have to get out my Rem 513SA sporter to shoot again.
    Has been a while.
    Should take a couple of PICS.
    Bought it in the late '60s for $45
    beltfed/arnie

Here are some photos that hopefully show what I did. I didn't disassemble the 512 because it's a bit awkward to get to the rear screw, you with taking off the trigger guard. If the photos aren't clear enough I'll disassemble it for you.

So the rear screw is tapped in behind the trigger. The first pic is of the 512, the others are the 511. The 510 is waiting for the range to open to do a test with the barrel shrink wrapped onto the fore-end which otherwise contacts but without pressure.

And while I was at it I tried a rear sight further back to see how it works for me.

And while I was at it, I tried a peep sight.

The open U sight is better for me. It focuses the front sight and it's shroud perfectly while I focus on the target. The U is a bit large but I have no trouble centering the shroud in the U. The image doesn't show the shroud fully because of the position of the camera. I had to rest the camera on the gun to get it steady enough for a half decent picture but it shows the idea. What that image shows is how I actually see it while focussing on the target.

Anyway, that's another project for the 511. I'll have to change the front sight to match the height of a sight mounted on the receiver. That's OK because then I can make the sight with the shroud as part of the sight. That would mean having windage and elevation on the rear sight. That's a bit more of a challenge.

The peep sight doesn't work so well. It focuses the front sight shroud which I could use as the front sight but the blade doesn't focus. I got the impression that I would be able to center the target in the shroud and the shroud in the peep. Something else to try.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-22-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast