MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

How can you possibly have anything more important to do than work on your rifle?

Good question!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    If anybody figures out that ONE group busting outlier, please share!
    Typically when you keep getting a flier like the ones pictured above it's a direct result of bolt issues, inconsistent ignition.

Simple things like dirt in the fp channel, slop in the fp fit in that channel, burrs, worn springs/parts, sear lifting the bolt/uneven pressure on the bolt. Dirt under the extractor/weak extractor on bolt faces that have a generous cut in them will cause dime sized groups with fliers.

Oh boy - this rabbit hole just got a whole lot deeper!

The one thing I don't think my 510 has is bolt slop. It locks tight. Too tight actually. Is it possible that it positions itself differently at times? I have swopped the bolt with the 511 and it's the bolt itself. I have wondered whether it could be the bolt face recess that's too deep which would leave the case rim with some clearance. I confess to not actually having attempted to see what is going on.

Can one tell from the firing pin strike whether there is an issue?

Had look at the bolt face and sure enough, it locks against the face, leaving a clearance on the rim in the recess.

Not the best photo - I'll do it again in better light for better focus. The photo doesn't show the shiny bolt face from the hard face contact. One can see the case rim is recessed more than it should be. That could be a case rim thickness issue though. The rim is dented in behind the firing pin strike.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-30-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Nice to hear tha 510’s are accurate. Have a barrel that someone stubbed for a Stevens 44 1/2 and chambered for 22 Hornet. Will find how accurate when I ‘FIND’ some Hornet brass and put an extractor on it ....
    Regards
    John

I have a Toz-17 barrel that I thought of fitting to a hornet. Using a 22 barrel makes it a lead only gun. Nothing wrong with that. One could size .224 bullets down I suppose. Well, I could since the Toz barrel is sufficiently tough for jacketeds.

I like this thread.
    I got my 510 out and put three shots into a forefinger length at 100 yards. I was sitting at the bench without bags and aiming for the right side of the rectangle label on a junk steel pressure tank. I was using CCI standard velocity target ammo.
    I'm fond of this rifle. I gave my daughter my previous 510 to give to my grandson( he's 3) when it's time. He will learn old school like she did; and hopefully shoot as well as her.
    Mine is prettier than his, but I doubt that it will outshoot it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 05-14-2021 at 05:27 PM.

I got my first Remington from my uncle way back when I was young. That was my 512 Sport Master. It was a worn out wreck. It still shoots pretty well. I did repair it somewhat. Being before the digital age, I do not have any before and after photos but I remember how bad it actually was. After repairs, I showed it to my uncle. His face lit up in amazement and joy at seeing it. It actually looked pretty good. His sons grew up with that rifle. It was that rifle that led me to buy my 511 and 510.

I took the old girl out to the range today for some exercise. Interestingly, I had scrubbed the bore and was expecting a few rounds to season the bore. But to my surprise, the only group outlier was a damaged round and not the first shot fired. I then zeroed the scope.

After changing my hold by moving the rifle forward and leaning into the butt, applying pressure with my free hand and making sure I had no cheek pressure on the gun, I managed to put all five shots into the black.

It's not fantastic - that's at only 25m. But still, my aiming wasn't much better than the group. Importantly, I was able to see my aiming error (shake) which would be about two boolit diameters. That still left me able to land them in the black.

So now I am happy with the rifle and ammunition. Now I need to work on my aiming and trigger release. At this point I can now fit the target sight and be confident that it is not the rifle.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-04-2021 at 04:48 AM.

Progress. Glad to hear things are going well.

I took a few minutes to shoot 5 CCI Quiet at 25-ish feet after sundown today.
    I'm fighting with myself about whether to put swivel studs on it.... Or to refinish the stock...
    I'm fond of the 510.

It's such a nice looking rifle and appears to be in good original condition. I personally would be loathe to make any alterations at all. And it shoots good too! I haven't had any success with those CCI Quiets. Maybe I should try again. With a suppressor they would be dead quiet. Are those scope rail screw holes factory?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-04-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Have one hanging above my door for the backyard. Groundhogs don't stand a chance.....

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    It's such a nice looking rifle and appears to be in good original condition. I personally would be loathe to make any alterations at all. And it shoots good too! I haven't had any success with those CCI Quiets. Maybe I should try again. With a suppressor they would be dead quiet. Are those scope rail screw holes factory?
    I'm hesitant to mess with it, as you say. The d&t holes were there when it came to me in a trade- I'm sure that the factory didn't do it.
    As long as my vision holds up I won't be scoping it. I just tried a Super Colibri round in it and it's quieter than snapping your fingers!
    I've had it in a safe in the house for a month-instead of out in the shop- man I missed it. I'll leave it out there from now on for when "plinkitis" sets in......

I've found that if the rear sight is far enough back and just the right size and shape, I can still aim with irons. A very small 'U' notch or 'V' seems to work. It's deceiving because I aim from indoors and can see just fine but when I go outdoors, things go south. My eyes also tire, even with a scope. A good scope is fine though. It seems I can no longer get away with cheap scopes. The one on the 510 at the moment is not top grade but does have an adjustable objective lens so I can focus it to ease my eyes. But I really want to shoot with open sights.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    But I really want to shoot with open sights.
    Lordy, I feel that pain. Just recently bought a second CZ 452 - the Ultra Lux model with the crazy long 28" barrel that puts the front sight out where I can - sort of - get a clear image of it through my distance-corrected presbyopic rocks. That it's also a big, black square post doesn't hurt either. I believe the current equivalent is their 457 "Jaguar"

No, it doesn't quite have the "burned onto my DNA" nostalgic feel of the 510, but it keeps me in the open sight game, and thus able to pretend that I'm still 10 a little bit longer.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

All ready for a turtle safari in the pond. I'll probably not hit ten of them, though! I like these little carriers- one genuine, one a repurposed mini tool bit holder.
    Shooting at the pseudo water bottle was done at dusk at 15 yards offhand. I could just see a soft blur where the small round label is, so im happy with it.
    I had a Nylon 66 (2 of them really needed shot) fit the other day; but the 510 is back to being the farms most used .22. What a classic rifle.

I had a shoot at the range this past Sunday and I managed to shoot a one hole five shot group! Not a bullet diameter hole though but still. I got scared to shoot the last shot lest I spoil it. I don't normally take my time and shoot slow but I did with the last two shots. It's quite nerve wracking!

That's only 25m so not really that great. Just nice to get one from time to time. This one looks to be about three boolit diameters.

I'll probably put this gun aside for a while until I have my target sights fitted. I want to move the scope onto my 511 to see how well I can get that rifle to shoot.

I also tested my cheapo Slazenger single shot but with a reflex sight fitted and didn't do too badly at all. I think my group was actually smaller than my aiming error with a somewhat not so target friendly red dot that covered the aim point completely. Still, it showed me the rifle can do better than I had hoped for so I think I'm going to have fun with that little rifle. It doesn't even have an ejector - half the time I have to dig the spent case out with my finger. It's still fun to shoot with!

That outlier was the first shot out of a cold, cleaned bore. I'm going to fit a scope for next session to see just what the rifle can do. I don't expect it to be much better than that though.

I've just realized there are ten shots in that string! Nine shots in a thumbnail size group. That was with Eley Club. Reflex sights aren't too bad.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-08-2021 at 04:09 AM.

Great shooting with both rifles, 303 Guy!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast