Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Banned
    Good Thread.

That 510 will come along nicely. The 500 series Remington .22 rifles are excellent rifles. Low cost but not "cheap". Probably some of the most underestimated .22 rimfire rifles ever made.

The talk about .22 shorts really brought back some memories. That was about all we shot when I was a kid. The Shorts were less expensive than the Long Rifles. Somewhere along the line the 22 Long Rifle cartridges became "the" .22 rimfire cartridge and the prices reversed. The 22 Long Rifle cartridges became the inexpensive cartridges and the 22 Shorts became more expensive. It is not surprising that the .22 Long Rifle cartridge became the dominant cartridge considering the massive amount of manufacturing capacity devoted to that cartridge. You might think the 22 short would remain less expensive considering it uses less brass, powder and lead but that wasn't the reality.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0433.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	273088

I keep some 22 shorts and CB's on hand !
    Lots of good memories associated with those.

Name:	DSCN0404.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	273089
    For the OP, if you can find Remington Standard Velocity Target .22 Long Rifle cartridges (Remington Blue Label) in your part of the world, I recommend you try them in your rifles. I have often found they produce the smallest groups.

I have some Remington standard velocity 40gr round nose. I'll be testing them next weekend at the range.

I've had a look and there some 22 shorts available. CCI Noise Blank and they are expensive but if they work in a suppressed rifle for pest control then the price doesn't really matter. Price only matters for stuff I shoot at the range.

A thing with standard velocity is that there is no standard. It can range from 1080 fps to 1150 fps.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 12-12-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I took the 510 to the range today with some Geco Match ammo and some Aguila 40gr solid subsonic ammo that I got in December. Well, the Geco didn't do so well but the Aguila solids did quite well considering the sights. I could tell from aiming that I would not be able to do better than the groups I actually got. I'll be ordering more of the Aguila.

The Aguila did very well in my scoped 512 with a ragged one hole group at 25m. This tells me it's likely my aiming and not the ammo-rifle with the 510.

Hereabout, there is Aguila rifle match. It is subsonic 40 grain bullet. Quite accurate in my rifles. Good enough to use as practice ammo instead of Eley Tennex.
    Also inexpensive as match ammo goes. I bought mine for $4 a box of 50.
    I haven't tried it in the Remington rifles yet. I would expect it to do well. Those Remington rifles shoot most ammo well.

After some frustration with open sights and my eyes, I finally mounted a 12 power scope with adjustable objective lens. I did a little bedding work too. So anyway, armed with a range of ammo and the now scoped rifle, I set out to see what it can do. At first I thought no way - it wasn't my aiming after all! But then I tried Geco Rifle ammo that I bought 500 rounds of and was pleasantly surprized. I then tried some expensive Fiocchi Official 300 ammo and it got even better (apart from one unexplained flyer).

Geco Rifle. First shot low.

Fiocchi Official 300. Middle shot flyer. I'm sure it wasn't me!

Actually, it looks like the Geco shot better. However, the second group opened up a bit. With the Official, the first group was open and began to tighten so I moved to the next target and that's the one above. So it would seem that this rifle is a shooter. I should mention that I was having difficulty holding the cross-hair still in that black dot.

The rifle didn't do too bad with Eley subsonic hollow nose. Not the best but OK for rabbits and hairs. That white square is not much bigger than a rabbits eye.

I didn't notice before but with the image zoomed up, one can see the outlyer on the right was yawing. It was the first shot with that ammo I do get a lot of random dispersion with the Eley sub hollow nose in other rifles so who knows.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-13-2021 at 02:36 AM.

Banned
    Recently I added a 510 to my collection, based on conversations here. Today I got to fire it for the first time. I have to say the trigger is really nice for a single shot that we call "barn guns" in this part of the woods.

Accuracy was beyond great. 15 shots standing with a brace all went into a single hole the size of a dime. This at 50 ft indoors with a poorly lit target and factory sights. I was/am very impressed. This rifle is in very good condition so it will never wear a scope. In a couple of months the weather will allow outdoor testing at extended ranges, I am anxiously waiting.

Ken

Boolit Master
    If anybody figures out that ONE group busting outlier, please share!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I AM the group busting outlier most days

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 04-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Yeah. Those outliers! I even wondered whether an insect may have settled on the muzzle. But then again, since I'm only competing against myself, I don't lose score because of them. So there's that.

I used to beat myself up because seven of the twenty shots made a big circle while the rest went into one cluster. With iron sights. But now having fitted the scope, I can see that it's either me or the ammo. If I can eliminate the ammo and understand the outlier issue, then I can work on me. One outlier I had showed quite some yaw but another showed no yaw. And that one was with expensive match ammo. Those two last photo's up above.

Looking back at those blown up images of my groups and thinking back on how I was struggling to hold the rifle on target for each let off, I would estimate at least a bullet diameter margin of aiming error on either side, those first two groups above show an encouraging rifle potential. The Geco is two thirds the price of the Fiocchi Official so why pay more? I like the Fiocchi stuff - I think it is good ammo. It would probably produce superb results in a match rifle.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-13-2021 at 02:47 AM.

Boolit Master

This has been a fun - if somewhat strange - thread for me to read.

My first rifle was the 1958 production 510 that my Dad and siblings had as kids. It needed some repairs before I got to it in the late '70's or very early '80's, whereupon I put another solar mass worth of ammo through the thing before returning it to the uncle from whence it came so his kids could have their go.

In the time since, we've acquired a 513, a 511, and just recently a 510-X (basically has the sights off a Nylon 66), that was probably new and unfired when I saw it on the rack. Dad was tagging along that day, and when I brought it over to him he took one hard look and the glistening, pristine version of what we had put a TON of wear on and said "Well, I guess we pretty much have to"

But the thread is weird to me because in the 15-20 years that I had the original 510, I don't recall EVER shooting it for group on paper. I plinked many small reactive things with it with great reliability, but serious bench-work? That all came later with other guns. It does not surprise me AT ALL that yours can do it, but the the small boy in my head can't reconcile it with what "he" thinks a Remington 510 Targetmaster is FOR.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Was cleaning out the phone today and found some pics I took of the aforementioned 510-X. Just in case you ever wondered what they looked like new:

Name:	Rem 510-X 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	281325

Name:	Rem 510-X 2.jpg 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	281326

Name:	Rem 510-X 3.jpg 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	281327

Ya know, if they'd only STAYED at that level of "cheaper than Winchester", instead of going the route of "make the cheap even cheaper", they wouldn't be bankrupt.
    WWJMBD?

You gotta love those old rifles. Even though I have the three main versions, it is still hard for me to walk past one at a gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I might have an idea. Went to the range today and gave the 510 a workout. Along the way a cartridge jammed skew on the bolt face and got damaged. I freed it and fed it into the chamber but with some difficulty. The shot went off to the left. That was expected although others that jammed shot fine. But a number of following shots went out of group after that. I was figuring that a sliver of lead got smeared in the chamber or something. Eventually accuracy came back.

All those outliers were after and including that jammed cartridge.

Anyway, I took the scope off and fitted a reflex sight just to see I it would do. Well, it did OK.

Ten shot group there. As far as I could make out (looking through the scope I had taken off), the 'outlier' shots were the first few or some of them at least. This was immediately after that jammed cartridge causing the group to open. Six shots into that one hole. I thought that wasn't too bad for a reflex dot that covered the target. I could just make out the edges of the square when aiming. So, the reflex seems to work. It's actually intended for my bush carbine but it might just get re-assigned. I could buy another one of course. Then again it might be a one time fluke!

Anyway, the 510 performed OK with Geco Rifle. Geco Match seems to be just that much more accurate (and costs more) but I didn't have enough to test it properly and there is none on the shelves.

Boolit Master

.303 - I think you've wrung it out past any reasonable level of expectation for a travelled, 60Y.O., middle price point plinker. You can only control the quality of ammo someone else made to a point, and having done a good bit of that, you've proven that while still very good, it's not an Anschutz 54 from the bench. . . and your ultimate intent was not to shoot it from the bench. For economy's sake, I'd say your next trick is to see how well you shoot it off hand with ammo you know it really likes, then find a cheaper load that's a little better than you are.

You have one of history's greatest tools for developing/maintaining marksmanship, and you've proven beyond any doubt that it will excel in that role. Tin cans and small mammals are the natural enemies of the Remington 510, not paper. Too much Benchrest O.C.D. is not healthy (been there, done that). RELAX and go plinking!
    WWJMBD?

I've got this 500 series rifle that I assembled from a conglomeration of parts purchased primarily on Ebay.
    It's got a 521-T barrel and stock, and a 511 receiver that I drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts. If I recall, the bolt handle is 513.

The scope is the old Weaver V-8 which is I think their first variable. It has no internal adjustment, and came with adjustable ring/mounts.

This was a fun project, and kind of like going down a rabbit hole. jd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 3.JPG   IMG_5196.jpeg  
    Last edited by hoodat; 04-18-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Nice!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

On the above post, ignore the image on the left which is my 20-222 BR. I accidentally downloaded that pic, and I aint smart enough to cancel it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I'm still steeply falling down that rabbit hole!

And enjoying it!

I have a few tricks up my sleeve still. I've done some bedding on this rifle and it seems like I should leave that alone for now but ultimately, this rifle is destined for aperture sights and bench shooting. The idea is to shoot with and without a rest but from a bench. Offhand shooting has crossed my mind. Once upon a time I could do off hand. I actually have an off-hand rifle in the form of a scoped 512. I need at least two rifles to be able to shoot 100m, the normal range distance.

The 510 is destined to get aperture sights, my 511 is destined for open sights that I can see with (I've figured something for it i.e. the correct rear notch size and shape and correct distance from my eyes) and my Toz for scope. Or the Toz for open and the 511 for scope. The Toz has better open sights but already has the scope.

Anyway, the whole idea is to have fun!

A parcel arrived in the post a day or two ago. It contained the tool I need to make the dovetail rear sight attachment for my aperture sight.

So now I can get on with it. It'll take a week or too since I have other things I have to do too.

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-30-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast