PBcastcoRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Boolit Master
    No, mine is a lot nicer. Did see a 39A that almost got me!

So we had fine weather and I went to the range. The first rifle I shot with was my Dad's Mauser. What a beauty! Smooth as silk with a flawless two-stage trigger. Too bad it didn't shoot so well. I'll try with different ammo next time.

Anyway, I shot the Target Master! Well, it did shoot better than the Mauser. One rifle that did shoot rather well was my cheapo single shot Slazenger double strike rifle. It took double firing pin strikes to fire the cartridges.

Here is the Target Master group

Notice that cluster. I should have fired another group. Was that the barrel getting conditioned or just random shot dispersion? I guess I'll find out next range session. Not only that but I'll be testing different ammo. Those shots outside the cluster all seem to have boolit yaw.

While that was with open sights, I was pretty confident the group should have been a lot smaller.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-04-2020 at 04:55 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Went to the range again, this time I concentrated on the three Remingtons. I found that the sights on the Target Master started out very clear and sharp but as the light changed or my eyes got tired they were not so clear anymore. Still, I managed to pull this on off at 25m. The sights are way off - that target was not the one I was aiming at.

I'm finding these Remingtons with open sights are real fun to shoot target with. But I'm thinking it's time to look at aperture sights.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-11-2020 at 02:33 AM.

Just to keep this thread updated, here is what I am doing with it.

Firstly, I have bedded the action by adding an epoxy mix under the rear of the action which has resulted in the barrel seating firmly on the fore-end. The front of the action body already seated firmly in the stock so now there is no movement I can feel in the action or on the barrel. So we'll see what effect that has.

The other thing I've done is make a makeshift front blade with shroud so I can aim it better. I'll be sorting a selection of ammo to try and take it to the range tomorrow.

I'll post results both here and in my 22's at the range thread.

Mine did well with Auto match and CCI standard velocity. I didn't run any match ammo through it.

I'm just going to try five shot groups with different ammo and retest those that show promise. Those Remington's that produced a good cluster in the group are going to get a weight sorting. I have CCI standard velocities so I'll test those too.

My 512 did well with mini mags so I'll try those in the 510 too.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting hearing from people not as familiar with the 500 Remingtons as I am. My dad bought my first 512 when i was 10 or 12 back in the early 50's. we used it for butchering on the farm and I hunted squirels and groundhogs with it. Unfortunately dad traded it off on a Stevens Gill Gun automatic. I never liked it as well as the Remington. In my late 20's I bought another 512. It was the start of an obsession. now have a 510, 510P, 511, 511P, 512, 512P, 513S, 513SP, 513T Military marked, 513T Civilian, 510 Smothbore, 510 Routledge Bore, 511 Smothbore, 511 Routlege Bore, 512 Smooth bore, 512 Routledge Bore. Also have a 581 and a 514. The 513S with Stieth mounts and a period Weaver scope is the most accurate but they all shoot better than I am capable of shooting. Beautiful and accurate. There is no down side. I've never glued a scope mount on one but a lot of people have done it with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
    Interesting hearing from people not as familiar with the 500 Remingtons as I am. My dad bought my first 512 when i was 10 or 12 back in the early 50's. we used it for butchering on the farm and I hunted squirels and groundhogs with it. Unfortunately dad traded it off on a Stevens Gill Gun automatic. I never liked it as well as the Remington. In my late 20's I bought another 512. It was the start of an obsession. now have a 510, 510P, 511, 511P, 512, 512P, 513S, 513SP, 513T Military marked, 513T Civilian, 510 Smothbore, 510 Routledge Bore, 511 Smothbore, 511 Routlege Bore, 512 Smooth bore, 512 Routledge Bore. Also have a 581 and a 514. The 513S with Stieth mounts and a period Weaver scope is the most accurate but they all shoot better than I am capable of shooting. Beautiful and accurate. There is no down side. I've never glued a scope mount on one but a lot of people have done it with great results.
    And I thought I was doing well by having models 510, 511, and 512. I have never seen or heard of about most of the variations you mentioned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
    Interesting hearing from people not as familiar with the 500 Remingtons as I am. My dad bought my first 512 when i was 10 or 12 back in the early 50's. we used it for butchering on the farm and I hunted squirels and groundhogs with it. Unfortunately dad traded it off on a Stevens Gill Gun automatic. I never liked it as well as the Remington. In my late 20's I bought another 512. It was the start of an obsession. now have a 510, 510P, 511, 511P, 512, 512P, 513S, 513SP, 513T Military marked, 513T Civilian, 510 Smoothbore, 510 Routledge Bore, 511 Smoothbore, 511 Routledge Bore, 512 Smooth bore, 512 Routledge Bore. Also have a 581 and a 514. The 513S with Stith mounts and a period Weaver scope is the most accurate but they all shoot better than I am capable of shooting. Beautiful and accurate. There is no down side. I've never glued a scope mount on one but a lot of people have done it with great results.
    This is fascinating, I only have a lowly 514 but it is a great little rifle. I had to change the front sight as POI was 4 inches high. It seems to be accurate, but iron sights only are giving my tired ol' eyes a workout.
    Have a corresponding Winchester model, but the Remington is way better.

Ken

I have the same collection as you, tazman. I have 'met' one or two other 512's and I remember being able to hit small targets, one after the other with open sights with one. I don't remember how well I shot with mine with open sights. There was something about shooting low but I now suspect the sight adjuster was missing. Anyway, I was into scopes and with my anatomy, I found a high scope suited me just fine. But now I want to shoot irons. My eyes aren't so young anymore so that's a bit of a challenge. I used to be quite a reasonable shot.

Anyway, in a few hours I shall be at the range with my 510 and 511 and my Voere. The Voere is scoped and shooting it doesn't excite me so much. I just want it to shoot straight for possums and rabbits and that's it.

I had fun with my 510 today. Excuse my home made target- it prints the CCI standard velocity ammo high- but seems to like it. 5 shots @ 40 yards. I love this old gun.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

My new sight arrangement shot very low. I thought no problem, I'll set up in the rest, bore sight it and adjust the rear sight. Then I saw the bore sighting is right on so figured I would check the fore-end pressure first. Thing is, the 511 with its free floated barrel shoots to markedly different heights with different ammo while the 510 with fore-end pressure seems to print them the same height.

And you're shooting better with yours than I am with mine.

Some issues with this 510 - it has a rough and gritty feel to the bolt and the bolt closes very tight. Also the trigger isn't as great as I would expect. My 511 trigger is what I would expect. I haven't figured out why the bolt is so rough.

Boolit Master
    It is interesting how your 510 likes fore end pressure, I have a Sportco mod 15 that is the same, having a tube magazine one would expect it to be a shot sprayer but it is a very accurate rifle. Like we have always been told, guns are a law unto themselves, and by the way my mod 15 just loves Remington bulk ammo. regards Stephen

I had the 510 out at the range again yesterday. I decided not to change anything just yet but I did place a card under the chamber in an attempt to 'stiffen' the bedding. It beds on the fore-end as designed it seems. I didn't do too much testing as the day was dedicated to a youngster that I was mentoring on the range but I did fire two test groups with the 510 just to see how two ammo types would shape up. Not too bad!

Fiocchi HV 38gr hollow nose. The outlier was the first shot after firing different ammo.

Compare that to the early days

I must say though that I had a better sight picture in the top group. I could actually see my aiming error which was pretty much enough to account for the group so I can't really say the ammo works or not. Only that I should buy some more and give it a good test. And that outlier could be a legitimate part of the group! Still, it's tantalizing.

But I may find that with a fifteen shot string the group will look like the second photo.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-15-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Even Aguila Supermaximums weren't too bad and consider those are 30gr hollow nose doing 1700 fps

Again, the outlier was my first shot. This group does not call for further testing with this ammo but should be good for rabbit hunting.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-15-2020 at 04:05 PM.

I needed a break from reinforcing an air fryer basket for my wife, so I rolled up a feed sack and laid it outside 25 some odd feet away in the dark. And grabbed my 510.The logo was visible enough to aim at and standing in the shop enough light fell on the front bead to have a little fun. A varmint would be in trouble.....

That was off hand? And with shorts? That's fine shooting!

I've been wondering about shorts or even longs. I'm wanting lighter subsonic boolits for super quite with a suppressor for pest control.

When I started squirrel hunting over 50 years ago, shorts were the go to cartridge. Cheap, quiet, and deadly. Not so cheap now.
    Very accurate at ranges under 30 yards. I never really tried them at longer ranges. Our family ate a lot of squirrel during fall and early winter.

We used Shorts as well. They were about 30 cents per box and Long Rifles were about 70 cents per box. The hi speed Short hollow points work great on squirrels and bullfrogs and the nostalgic effect is sweet. These CCI CB shorts seem weirdly more oomphy than the CB longs I last had. I hope that I can find more someday, my supply is dwindling. I still have LRs, but I like to keep some Shorts and Colibris around. Thanks for the kind words, 303. If I could have seen my bullets hitting the sack, im sure I would have messed up the group....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast