MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Went to the range today. Later, at home, I was going through my targets and trying to figure out what I had done. This was my first target.

The bottom L/H group was the first, using Eley club. The range officer came along and commented on how accurate my rifle was and told me where I was hitting. Well, just glance at it and it looks like one shot off low and right and the rest at 6 o'clock low. Then I zoomed in a bit.

That's two groups! Two five shot groups! I had adjusted the sight to the left and up, except I did it backwards and went down. I do that quite often.

That's the best I done with this rifle. Well actually, it's a two bullet diameter hole and only at 25m so not a world record or anything but it is under a MOA.

I had to zoom it in more to be able to see the five bullet holes. I couldn't do it again though although at the time I didn't realize I had done it at all.

Then I changed ammo because I didn't have anymore Eley Club and the groups just opened up.

I have found with my new front sight that I could do with a smaller and thinner ring and that a larger outer ring would help centering in the rear aperture. I'll do that in time but for now, I can work on sight picture and trigger control. Oh yeah, I got the windage pretty close but I somehow got the sight height wrong. The front post is too high. I did make it higher than the prototype but went too much. It's usable but should optimally be lower. Easy to correct but I'll do that when I've come up with a double front ring arrangement. It will be something like that target.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-12-2022 at 01:13 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I think a Lyman 17A installed in the factory front dovetail is what you're looking for. They make them in a bunch of different heights and they aren't expensive.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...t-front-sights
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Yes, something like that. I can't cut the slots for the insert locators otherwise I would make the thing. The only ones (not Lyman) available in my parts when I looked recently were quite pricey. The inserts are available though. There were a few second hand ones for sale when I first started this project but they could not be shipped to NZ.

Boolit Master

Given the scope of your project, there's probably little sense in digging for the small potatoes - especially since you seem to be somewhat up against NZ's regulations of what can or cannot be shipped in.

While the Remington 510 isn't nearly as sexy as an Anschutz 54, functionally, they're both single shot .22LR target rifles. With that in mind, you might look up your national shooting team, outline what your project is about, and ask what channels they use to get sights for their Olympic guns.

The 3/8" dovetail the 510 and most other plinker-grade .22's use is pretty crude in true modern match-rifle circles. I guess you could consider the Lyman 17A as the easier way to elevate those rifles as much as you can without permanent alterations (which you are already past the point of). Most of the sights in the serious target game attach to the barrel via something like the old Unertl-style external adjustment scope bases of varying height with a dovetail width (for the sight) of .460". These bolt on with two screws (my guess would be 6-48 thread, but don't swear me to that), in one of two hole spacing patterns (0.562" or .860").

Champion's Choice out of Tennessee sells both the sights and the bases. It would be worth checking with them to see what their international shipping abilities are. If nothing else, browse them a bit for inspiration. https://champchoice.com/store/main.aspx
    WWJMBD?

Thanks for that, Bigslug.

My thinking is to make a sight base that clamps on the same way as my trial sight. I can use the Lyman front sight at the required height or any other sight. I would prefer a clamp on weaver style base. A trick of course to not to clamp too tight as to compress the bore but that would take some doing. My sight as it is, is just bumped on and holds quite firmly. I tapped it with a plastic mallet to align it vertically.

You know, If I could get a set of lensed inserts, it would be real easy to make the insert holder. Those should be available in my parts.

One aspect of making the bits is the fun factor but I'll likely end up with a store bought front sight and just concentrate on the shooting aspect. It's challenging enough to get a decent group!

I bronze brushed the bore to clean out any unwanted deposits from mixed ammo. Eley Club worked so I'm going to stay with that. I think it shoots better in my rifle than I can consistently shoot.

Oh yes, I have an Anschutz in my safe ..... I should check to see what it is. It isn't mine though, it's my nephews. Maybe I should tell him I lost it in a boating accident ...

I had forgotten about it but I had crowned it for him. It apparently doesn't shoot for you know what but at a brief glance, it looks like it needs a bedding job. But right now I'm having fun with my 510.

The 510 has an interesting trigger. It has a short, probably unintentional 'two-stage' trigger but the first 'stage' is is a little stiff and the second 'stage' a little light. If I don't pay enough attention, it goes off prematurely. But it's all part of the fun.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-12-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master

One possible option is to make a "bloop tube", aka, a sight extension tube. Pretty common on the Olympic guns to extend the sight radius - - never heard of anyone installing one on a skinny-barrel sporter.

IME, it involves a large, short tube split at 6:00 with two screws to clamp the rear section to the barrel (where it remains), and two more to clamp the front section to the longer, lighter extension tube. The front and rear sections are usually milled out to different diameters. The extension tube will have some form of alignment stud to ensure return to the same relative vertical alignment if removed for transport. Drill and tap the extension tube for whatever sight base you like.

Another reason to contact your serious "Team" shooters: If you can poke and prod some of their equipment, you can get a feel for what ranges of aperture adjustability you'll want both fore and aft on your sights. Might save you a repeat purchase or two.

Having recently done the rehabilitation job on the family heirloom. . .it's not the trigger system I'd choose for the path you're following, though I think it's really cool you're doing it. It was a system designed to be put together once, and there's not a lot of easy adjustment to be found. Wolff DOES have a replacement striker spring that I installed that should improve your lock time. Probably a worthy addition for what you're chasing.
    WWJMBD?

510 one piece at a time

own multiple originals - all great shooters - put this one together from spare + damaged parts - [ no original collectors were destroyed for this project ]
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

fyi - no original model 510's were factory grooved , only the revised 510X models were -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Here we go.

This is what I have in mind. I've also figured out a way I can cut the insert slots should I decide to make a conventional front globe. It would be a toss-up between convenience and the fun factor in making it.

Nice looking rifle, schutzen-jager. What is it?

Boolit Master

Before you get too deep into choosing/making your front sight for shooting really small groups, you might want to determine what target you're going to be shooting those small groups ON.

The ring in a ring in a ring system of rear peep, globe front, and aperture front insert is of course geared toward centering you up on black bullseyes. You should probably acquire copies of the ISU competition targets for each of their regulation distances (I'm guessing 50 & 100 meters, with the possibility of 25 meter reduced). The 50M 3-position target is no joke, with scoring rings that are narrower than the diameter of a .22 bullet. Staring at those at distance will give you a feel for how large the rear peep wants to be (or what adjustment range you want), what diameter the front globe wants to be, and what diameters of front ring insert you'll want - or if you want to go high speed, what adjustment range THAT wants to be.

Given the monster you're turning this into. . .you SHOULD be able to get an adapter that allows the adjustable European apertures to screw into your rear sight (they probably will already), and an 18 or 22mm front sight with an adjustable iris insert will give you on-the-fly adjustment for lighting conditions and minor changes in target size or distance. If you want to play with post inserts (better for field shooting), that'll change your front sight approach.

If nothing else, using the Olympic targets will give you a fun comparison standard to show the college kids what you did with a 1950's plinker and make them wonder why they dropped $6,000 USD on their Anschutz/Walther/Feinwerkbau/Grunig & Elmiger...
    WWJMBD?

Very good on the Eley target. Front to rear reverses, front is down for bullet impact up. You van make the circle targets on a computer with Word Art.

The last year of production on the 510, 511 and 512 all have scope mount grooves. For that Lyman 22 scope ring setup and Jr Rings. I bought a X barreled action for cheap, it is still in parts in a drawer, it is just an early 514. Remington tried to trade on the reputation made by the 510, 511, 512 and 513.

By the way, I have sent every single Anchutz to the house, that ever came to our range to shoot small bore Silhouette, with egg on their face with a little 511. There were many. Now an Army Vet in a wheel chair strapped to the back, with a 541 used to be a challenge, we would trade first place every time Hank showed up.
    Happy birthday Hank, it is the 247 birthday of the US Army.
    Last edited by Rapier; 06-14-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Very good on the Eley target. Front to rear reverses, front is down for bullet impact up. You van make the circle targets on a computer with Word Art.

The last year of production on the 510, 511 and 512 all have scope mount grooves. For that Lyman 22 scope ring setup and Jr Rings. I bought a X barreled action for cheap, it is still in parts in a drawer, it is just an early 514. Remington tried to trade on the reputation made by the 510, 511, 512 and 513.

By the way, I have sent every single Anchutz to the house, that ever came to our range to shoot small bore Silhouette, with egg on their face with a little 511. There were many. Now an Army Vet in a wheel chair strapped to the back, with a 541 used to be a challenge, we would trade first place every time Hank showed up.
    Happy birthday Hank, it is the 247 birthday of the US Army.
    all 510X models were factory grooved + produced from 1965 till 1967 + not only the last years of X model production -the standard 510 model started production in 1939 + ended in 1962 with none of them ever grooved at factory -

as they say in latin

You restating does not make it a fact.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

fact is that in over 3 decades not one person on multiple rimfire ,Remington , + multiple other forums have not been able to provide any factory originated creditable information documenting any grooved receivers on any 510 models [ excluding the X models ] - my statements are based on over 6 decades of owning , repairing , collecting , researching , + documenting 510 , 511, 512 , 513 , + 513 .22's - i have Remington parts lists , catalogs , factory repair manuals back to the 1930's+ every issue of Gun Digest + no where does any mention of 510 grooved receivers exist - if you could post any factory [ not forum , authors opinions , + non factory advertising ] supporting your statements i would like to see them -

as they say in latin

Thanks Bigslug.

Yeah, I need to decide what I actually want to do with this rifle. My original idea was only compete with myself. I quickly discovered that lighting and target plays a big part. Getting a standard front sight makes the most sense with the changeable inserts.

In the short term, I'm going to use what I have to train myself to concentrate! It is damn hard to center on my own targets. The biggest issue I found with the size of my front ring is that with my targets being off center on an A4 sheet, is that the page edge interferes with aligning. I'll be using a single target per A4 sheet for a while.

The benefit of the larger front ring for me is light admission. I can see the targets. But I am going to make a smaller front ring and see how well I can see through it. It doesn't take too much effort to make one.

Boolit Master

I think I may have the ideal answer for you.

In looking at both Champion's Choice and Creedmoor Sports websites, there are both 18mm and 22mm diameter globe sights by Anschutz, Gehman, and MCS that are threaded on both ends to accept all the whiz-bang adjustable iris apertures, spirit levels, and anti-glare tubes you could ever want, but the bodies are also slotted for the steel insert apertures.

That'll give you a ton of flexibility, including the ability to drop in a post insert for plinking and rabbit control.
    WWJMBD?

Thanks Bigslug. Definitely will look at that path forward.

At the range last Sunday, my new friend turned up with a really interesting 22 single shot. I never got a closer look at it but it had an under lever falling/rolling action. This gun gad target sights. Hew told me it has a mirror bore, in spite of its age. Well, it shot poorly with whatever ammo he was using. My 510 shot poorly with some ammo I tried in it too. Anyway, I was using my scoped 512 which actually didn't quite meet the 510 accuracy. That too shot poorly with some ammo. I never thought to offer some of my proven ammo, that being Geco match and Eley Club. I had them with me!

Anyway, for reasons, I pulled up my Lithgow made Slazenger single shot past targets and found this;

And this was only Eley standard. The Slazenger is scoped to be fair.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-21-2022 at 02:30 AM.

accuracy on most 510 , 511 , 513 , + 521's can be greatly improved by placing a shim [ apx. thickness of match book cover ] about 1" back from fore end tip in barrel channel - with only 1 action screw they perform best with upward pressure at forward stock bedding point -

as they say in latin

I did that with my 511 but with a some packer under the rear of the action too and it made a significant difference. I added a rear action screw to this 510 and left the barrel free floating. Before I did the rear action screw, I shrink wrapped the barrel onto the fore-end to see how it would do and again, it made a significant difference.

But now that you mention it, I should try the fore-end packer trick and see what happens. It may just reduce the changes in POI between the ammo types. It has a heavy walnut stock so stock stability should not be an issue.

over 6 decades i have tried the bedding , extra action screws , + numerous others under extremely controlled conditions - the fore end shim is the only thing that provided long lasting + consistent accuracy improvements - some interesting topics in links -
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa.../#post-9923530
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...3#post-6920369
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...#post-10049170

as they say in latin

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast