Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 PBcastco
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Boolit Master
    303guy,
    See attached PIC of my 513SA factory mounted LYman 57 peep sight. I replaced the original
    eyepiece with a Merit adjustable. It enables adjusting the size of the peep to get optimum focus on the front sight.
    Also, full length pic of my 513SA. Had it since late '60s. Very accurate , accounted for lots of Prairie Dogs out to 165 yards.
    --when equipped with the Weaver T10....
    beltfed/arnie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	289099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	289100

303Guy,
    Thanks for the photos. That rear flat looks slightly larger than the same area on my 521T: but, it's doable with a small diameter screw (12-32?).

I remember when Springfield Sporters repatriated some Remington 513 Sporters for more money than I had to spare at the time. That is a fine rifle that you have, Beltfed. Thanks for sharing. Dad's only .22 was a 511 so that's what I learned to shoot with. My 510 connects me to those days these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    oldhenry, it's not hijacking, it's adding content.

I do have a target peep I will be fitting some time. At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the rifle to shoot well using a scope. At some point I'll be fitting a second action mounting screw and free floating the barrel. I do get distracted with other 22's though, not to mention playing around with a few Lee Enfields.
    303Guy,
    Do you find that the rear screw to be almost a necessity when floating the barrel? The reason I ask is I'm on my 3rd. attempt at bedding & floating bbl on my 521T. With the single screw & bedding only the front 1" of the bbl & the bottom of the action, everything "rocks" slightly with the rear of the action not secured. When I tighten the single screw more, I loose the free floating bbl (it bears against the very front of the stock). The pivot point for the "rocking" seems to be @ the single screw.

I've bedded many Rem. 700 & 2 788 barreled actions & never had this problem: however, they were round actions with 2 screws.

Boolit Buddy
    Saw a 512 for sale today at the local gun shop. Single shot with a peep sight, $175. You guys have me thinking of going back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Saw a 512 for sale today at the local gun shop. Single shot with a peep sight, $175. You guys have me thinking of going back tomorrow.
    Please post a photo after you buy it.

If you don't buy it, PM me & let me know how to get in contact with the gun shop.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    303Guy,
    Do you find that the rear screw to be almost a necessity when floating the barrel? The reason I ask is I'm on my 3rd. attempt at bedding & floating bbl on my 521T. With the single screw & bedding only the front 1" of the bbl & the bottom of the action, everything "rocks" slightly with the rear of the action not secured. When I tighten the single screw more, I loose the free floating bbl (it bears against the very front of the stock). The pivot point for the "rocking" seems to be @ the single screw.

I've bedded many Rem. 700 & 2 788 barreled actions & never had this problem: however, they were round actions with 2 screws.
    I would think so. When I did that 512 I didn't give it much thought. I was just determined to free float. The stock was in such bad shape, being rotten and split through the action cutout. Epoxy resin mixed with sawdust (hardboard saw dust to match the color), soaking the stock in paint thinners to remove years of oil, and rebuilding the stock, filling in missing pieces and forming the action bedding and so on. It came out as good as new. I did not even know it originally bedded on the fore-end. I was just convinced it needed that rear screw. I had been talking to my late gunsmith uncle on guns and bedding and free floating.

There was nothing wrong with the accuracy once I'd finished.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

303Guy

Thanks for the response. I solved the "rocking" problem by bedding more of the bbl. I increased it to 3". A friend who is into .22 rf bench rest suggested 3.5"-4".

Thanks for that tip, oldhenry. I had wondered about that but thought it might result in sensitivity to screw torque. Not that it would be a major problem but I just wondered. So is that 3 to 4 inches of the barrel and also the very rear of the action or an equal distance rear of the screw?

After all, many if not most of these rifles shoot pretty well with the single screw and fore-end bedding. Mine seemed OK but on the next range session the POI had shifted. Having two rifles to play with, I tried free floating one and bedding the fore-end of the other. The bedded one changed it's POI when the weather changed.

Our range closed for the wet season and then covid (I'm tired of covid now - it must end!) By now I have several rifles waiting to get tested. One experiment I am doing is with the bedded fore-end rifle. It's very lightly bedded with the idea of not stressing the action but the barrel lifts easily with finger pressure. So the experiment is to bind the barrel down with shrink wrap. I have these 100mm/4" wide rolls. So I'm waiting to see how that works out.

The other I think I'm going to try your trick before installing that second screw.

Congrats. 303guy, on a really great deal. Now you have me itching for a 500 series Remington. I grew up drooling over the Remington catalogue with those rifles in it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

303Guy,

I bedded the action bottom completely which was a challenge due to the many slots on the bottom. The stock I'm working with is a semi-inletted 90% shaped aftermarket affair that I bought about 25 years ago (wish I could get another now). From the center of the action screw hole to the end of the fore end is 8 1/4" (210mm?).

If I followed my BR friend's advise of 3.5-4.0" of bedding only slightly over 50% would be floating. The 3.0" of bedding was a compromise.

You're right about these guns shooting well with standard bedding. My 511 looks like death warmed over & is extremely accurate.

Regards,
    Henry

My daily carry 510, a cut off 16.25” dirtdobber messed up barrel recrowned, threaded with QC suppressor. Shoots 1/2” at 75 with Fed 40g Std Vel Target. It woks real well out to 200 yards. Quiet and very effective on the farm and around my duck ponds on nasty critters. I own a few 500s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 78B2DA28-31A1-4228-B0B8-F33E543F2571.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Hi all. I've been 'away' for a while. I had an adverse reaction to the vaxx. Anyway, I am getting back into things and finally fitted the rear target sight to my 510 plus I fitted a rear bedding screw. Still no front sight though. Now that the rear sight is on I can search for a front sight with matching height.

The scope rail is so I can test the rifle for accuracy and just so I can also shoot it with a scope if I want to. The longer aluminum angle mount also makes for a stronger epoxy bonded mount.

For the rear bedding screw I made a 'pillar' using the threaded portion of a bolt. The idea being that the fixing epoxy would hold in the threads.

I need to color match the epoxy/sawdust mix. I used the only sawdust I had. Or I can just leave it. It did a similar thing to my 512 many moons ago but I had the right colored sawdust and the job is actually completely invisible. This one not so much. Pine against walnut

Anyway, the action is now firmly bedded with a free floating barrel. I did a test a while ago, putting a packer under the rear of the action so that the barrel contacted the fore-end then shrink wrapped the barrel down. With a scope, I got some pretty decent groups but not that coveted one holer.

When I took the scope off, I found it wasn't properly tightened which might or might not have made a difference, then when I took off the temporary scope rail, I found the epoxy had come loose in the front so it was only holding at the rear which very likely would not have helped much and indeed, the groups were a bit erratic. So well see what happens at the next range session.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-23-2022 at 12:24 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My rifle is a 511 box magazine repeater. I bedded similarly to yours and with Eley Sport and simple iron peep sights is reliable 1 mil grouping for 10 shots out to 200 metres.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have a 511 too. 1 mil out to 200 metres! Holy cow! I'm planning on shooting at 100m with my 510. We'll see how that goes. On occasion, our range has 200m shoots. Well, I'll have to get past the 100m before tackling 200m.

I must say I am leaning back towards ion sights. I plan to fit a forward mounted peep sight to my 511, in place of the U notch. I did that with my Dad's smoothbore Diana air rifle when I was at school and found I could shoot rather well with it. The sight I made was a tube, not an orifice in a disc. I could aim with it well, the gun itself wasn't the most accurate but did the job within it's range capabilities. I should try that again.

My 510 with a cut off and threaded and recessed crown barrel. The barrel had a dirt dobber nest down about 6” of the barrel from the muzzle. It is deadly on turtles in my ponds out to 200 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14E24C58-891A-44AA-ACDB-2E03832F5180.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I just bought a 2nd 510 and should have it in hand next Tuesday. For open sighted plinking and just down right fun, a 510 would be hard to beat. Some of us are finding those long barrels sure do aid in being able to clear up a front sight picture.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Yes, there is that to the long barrels. I find the long barrel gives the light rifle balance and dampens muzzle shake. My 512 has a very light stock but the 510 stock is a heavy wood, I'm guessing walnut. If I can't find a suitably priced front sight, I'm going to make one and that is going to be heavy too.

303Guy.

Thanks for the photos.
    Henry

I took the 510 to the range this morning. Not my best shooting with it. I tried several ammo types. Well, I hadn't actually bedded the action, just fitted the rear screw so my next step will be to bed the action and see if that makes any difference. I'll also take a second scope next session to make sure it's not the scope. I will say though that the same scope produced a decent group the last time I took it out.

On the plus side, I got in some good trigger and sight picture practice. I found I was able to hold the cross hair steady over a target the size of a thumbtack at let-off. I could see part of the black in each quadrant of the cross hairs. The lousy groups was not me! Well, it could have been due to irregular pressure on the stock but I was getting pretty consistent, I thought. I even tried putting a card between barrel and fore-end but that only shifted the group.

Well, who wants it to be too easy anyway!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast