WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating a gas check

Boolit Master

Seating a gas check

I have been doing some powder coating for 8 mm and 30 cal boolits and Have had trouble getting gas checks onto the shank of the boolit squarely. I , this last time , used my 225 sizing die in my press to stop the boolits and then pushed the gas check onto the shank with the 30 cal pusher. They snap on and go square without any damage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	267891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	267895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	267892

I am going to apologize in case this is someone elses idea, but it dawned on me so I wanted to pass it on. The checks crimp on firmly when pushed through an appropriate size die.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Thanks for sharing. I've seen where folks will use their seat plug to seat gas checks. I use the gas check seater for the Lyman 450. Before I was just giving them a rap on the bench or when a whack with a hammer handle, but it seated them crooked. I would get occasional offset driving bands.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I press mine on with my fingers and tap each one on the table or hard surface till they look almost flat. Then I pull off the thinly shaved lead strip that the GC Scraped off with my fingernail. If I don’t the lead smears onto the GC and gap between it and the first lube groove. From there I run the boolit through my lee sizer. After a couple hundred I have blisters on my fingers but it seats the GC even and I get great accuracy. Just a PITA to do so.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-17-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I press mine on with my fingers and tap each one on the table or hard surface till they look almost flat. Then I pull off the thinly shaved lead strip that the GC Scraped off with my fingernail. If I don’t the lead smears onto the GC and gap between it and the first lube groove. From there I run the boolit through my lee sizer. After a couple hundred I have blisters on my fingers but it seats the GC even and I get great accuracy. Just a PITA to do so.
    I used to do the same thing and with arthritis in every joint.... they really start to hurt doing this. I finally got the harbor frieght arbor press and now it is quick easy and doesnt hurt my fingers. Then I run them backwards through the sizing die and they are on there for good.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Great idea! Thank you for sharing!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    I have a 30 cal. mold that they fit tightly on. I run the crooked ones into the sizer, withdrawal the ram a bit and then give it a light rap. Squares it up nicely before it crimps. I also have a 30 cal. gas check seater from NOE that I have not used. Might be just the thing if I need to PC my boolits. So far BLL tumble lube has worked into the 1650 fps.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 09-29-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

I also like and use the NOE.

I was thinking a small arbor press might be a workable solution as well. Thick piece of steel with a hole drilled to accept top Punches for nose shapes would be a easy thing to do.

For now the NOE is working great!!

Also powder coat... Sift off the bullets more and this will Knock down the thickness of the coating. Yet still have plenty to make the jacket. Your checks will Seat easier.

If this is t acceptable, set checks first TBEN POWER COAT and crimp as you size.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    i do that if i dont want to size my boolits

Banned

this type of "jig" really helps when doing 223's and you have big hands

Boolit Master

NOW There's a better mouse trap. You are in production!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the rounded heads of carriage bolts to slightly "bell" gas checks that won't snap on. Run 'em through the sizer and they snug up just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the gas check bell setup by NOE, but I can't figure out a good way to get the checks off the piece that bells them easily. Those suckers get stuck on there good

Boolit Buddy
    i seat the gas check on the bullet the normal way, in the rcbs lube press. then i pc the bullets. i have no lube in my press and/or dies.

Thanks I will be making a trip to Harbor Freight , carpal tunnel just as bad
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Boolit Master

Conditor22. You made me feel much better. Dear God, I thought my bench was messy! You probably find new components all the time.

I play wack-a-mole.
    Fast forward to about 19:26

Last edited by Retumbo; 11-22-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Get yourself a smooth jaw Channellock pliers.
    Adjustable for any length boolit, easy to control, if you're really OCD you can drill one jaw to accept nose punches.
    What's not to like.

You can thank me later
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    I've used the gas check bell setup by NOE, but I can't figure out a good way to get the checks off the piece that bells them easily. Those suckers get stuck on there good
    I use a ball bearing that is just big enough to bell the check and bottom out on the bottom of it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I've had no problems getting gas checks on square and flat since purchasing the Noe gas check seating die. It comes with all the parts needed to seat checks base first with a nose punch or nose first with the ram. 99 out of a 100 (even the tight ones) get seated correctly. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    just seat them, size (bare, uncoated boolit), pc, then re-size if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast