Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I retired in 2004 and we sold out on the coast and moved to Kamloops, into a double-wide trailer that, but for the steel frame, is essentially a 2x6 framed, modular 1620 square foot home. I then went back to work for my former employer on a contract basis for the next two years. Our property here is one point eight acres and we realized enough from our coastal home to be free and clear of any mortgage here. I contracted to have a workshop built. My shop is 30x40 feet, built on a 2x6 frame, steel sides and roof, fully insulated, gyp-rocked, with 12 foot ceiling and a wood heater. Eighteen feet from the back end I had a 2x6 framed, insulated wall with double sliding doors in the middle installed. The wall has a laminated 6x6 beam running right across the width of the shop and it is supported on each side of the double doors by laminated 6x6 uprights. In future, if one wishes to pull a motor, a chain can be passed through above the cross beam to facilitate that. I have one of those small radiant electric, free-standing oil heaters that gets plugged in in late October and it keeps that whole shop from freezing anything inside. If I were to rebuild it would be 30x60, have a mother-in-law suite, or at least a toilet, sink and shower. I would put plumbing in and the overhead doors would be in the end instead of the side because now the dang snow slides off the roof and “compact-piles” up in front of the doors, so that if I do not get it shoveled clear right away it freezes into a solid mini iceberg the width of two garage doors+.
i did that with mine. A small one bed appartment thats a bedroom bathroom and a combo living room kitchen. comes in real handy for when the wifes family comes to stay