Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Garage

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Started clearing land to build a garage. Looking for advice and tips from anyone who has built a garage. What would you do differently etc if you were to do it again. My plan is to get the land cleared and have the excavation done and get a foundation poured before winter and then build the garage in spring next year. I live in the northeast so looking for input on that idea. Is it ok to do the foundation now and build in the spring or should it all be done at the same time? Thanks in advance for hints tips and suggestions.
    No you can have the foundation put in and finish it at a later date
    I am building a garage and that is how I am doing mine
    mine is going to have 12" walls going from 12" split face block to
    8" concrete's and face brick, after I get that done I will put on rafters and roofing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    GONRA's 2001 era. 32x40 concrete block shop, thick block glass "windows",
    8 inch fiber cast concrete floors, gas heated, 2 AC's, 120 / 240VAC, etc.
    built by a commercial outfit - has suited me Just Fine over the years.

(Property lot - 2.3 acres, common 1970's 3 bedroom / 2 car garage "Ranch House".)

As Tyme Wears On, Mr. & Mrs. GONRA are outgefiggerin' how to
    "give it all away to the grandkids" - house, property,
    guns, ammo, reloading/machine tools, etc.
    104+ acres Bradford County acreage /gas royalties,

Boolit Master
    My shed is finally finished...took nine months due to worker shortages......had the slab ,all the precut steel etc ready to go by Nov last year.......took until July this year to get the builders......and they turned up on a Sunday afternoon,and hit me up for $500 cash...if I wanted them to start my job and not one of the dozen others they had waiting......then I couldnt get anyone to do the required drainage to the street.....had to pay double to a company with 100 shiny vans who normally do tap washers ,leaking pipes etc .

Boolit Master
    Just moved to a ne to me house that has a large shop out back. Previous owner installed a 10,000 lb lift. At 78 I don't work on car or trucks any more so lift went down the road. Gives me a lot more room for wood working and reloading. Builders did not score the concrete floor so I have cracks in the floor. Pour a heavier floor (6' or more) with rebar and score 4-6 feet in both directions. Most of my heavier tools have been converted to 220. Works a lot nicer. Have a large compressor in the shop. It's noisy so previous enclosed it, still noisy. I would enclose it outside of shop. What you realy should have 6that I don't have is at least a 1/2 bath. Sink and toilet. Running to the house to go to the bathroom is inconvenient especially as you get older. Need a fan for air movement especially when it gets hot. Some form of heat when it gets cold is also nice. A large shop is a joy, just keep it organized and clean. Have fun and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    OP,
    How did the garage turn out?
    East Tennessee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    My suggestion is to build it bigger than whay you think you will need. All yhe othet suggestions are good, too!
    yup. figure out what you figure you need then double it.

Boolit Master

Best advice I can offer for any project is to make sure the contractor has plenty of larger projects under the belt.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup. figure out what you figure you need then double it.
    Problem I ran into was the property line setback... and my picnic table tree that I have manicured into a deep shade canopy over 30 years and did not want to cut down. When I have a BBQ everyone plants chairs under it to sit and talk and have a beer...

So I was stuck with 24 feet wide and 30 feet deep... and it is to small!

Banned

Mary. I have a 24x24 garage and a 40x40 pole barn and if i bought anything else with wheels or floats id have to build another one. What i need is a second 24x24 garage. But like you would have to shoe horn it in the yard or start clearing.

Boolit Master
    Its never big enough.....although a couple of years ago ,I was planning to move to a rural area.....and one place I looked at the sheds were so big ,it was scary.....you d never fill them ,but any kind of repairs would be on an industrial scale...........and on these rural places the sheds are often very lightly framed.....any rebuild would run into a fortune in new engineering to code.

Boolit Master

If you actually work on your own vehicles , having enough height to use a lift iin one bay is great . Those things are under 2 grand now and if you're not already - you WILL get tired of getting up and down from under a vehicle . You can leave a car on the lift and park your Harley and ATV under it !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    If you actually work on your own vehicles , having enough height to use a lift iin one bay is great . Those things are under 2 grand now and if you're not already - you WILL get tired of getting up and down from under a vehicle . You can leave a car on the lift and park your Harley and ATV under it !
    yup ive been procrastinating buying one for years. My son in law is a diesel mechanic and does most of my mechanical work at the shop he works at for free. But id like one just for like you said, storage. Id probably go with a 4 post lift vs a 2 because i dont work much on cars. If i did alot of work a 2 post would be better.

Boolit Grand Master

All my construction experience is in Louisiana ... so this may not be appropriate ... but :
    1.) Place a Visqueen Vapor barrier under the slab ... it stops water from migrating into the building .
    2.) Use 3,000 psi concrete @ 28 day mix .
    3.) Use a 5 inch (or 6") thick concrete slab reinforced with 6 x 6 x 6 gauge wire mesh ... make sure the mesh ends up in the middle of the slab not pushed down on top the Visqueen Vapor Barrier .

The idea is to have a thick slab with steel mesh to hold it together if any cracks occour .
    Visqueen , in Louisiana , keeps humidity down inside the building ... concrete will pass moisture .

Use a contractor who has done this a time or two ... a good concrete finisher is valuable around here ... it's both art and science .
    Gary

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    GONRA feels sorry for john.k Something really backfired here! WOW!
    My contractor had built lottsa previous "concrete block commercial bldgs" .
    Had Amish verk crews, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    OP,
    How did the garage turn out?
    It didn't. Due to the price increases on building materials I put it on hold for now. Have waited 20 years already so a few more won't hurt. Had saved up enough money to do one finally then everything went crazy. So still saving and planning and reading all the good ideas and helpful comments here. Thanks and keep them coming.

Boolit Master

in floor radiant heating system, and typical wood stove also - well insulated will tend toward cool in summer with condensation on stuff. If planning a lift, get floor correct now: footers etc.

Boolit Master
    My dad was an old time body man and said never pour a slab without burying a chain wrapped around a pipe in the concrete. You never know when you will need to pull something in the shop or straighten a frame. So every shop I’ve built chain pieces go in.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

#1, use concrete with fiberglass in it. It will greatly reduce the possibility of cracking. Make sure the recepticles are 48" to center from the floor if you have a car in there (gasoline fumes). I just helped a friend with a garage and he bought a kit with metal framework and colored sheet tin siding (think carport). It was a LOT cheaper than lumber and the company he bought it from put it up in a few hrs and it looks very classy. It is anchored to the slab and it's there to stay. Definitely get the taller door and walls and the suggestion about the plumbing rough in is a good idea, believe me! If you are going to feed your panel underground, now is the time to put a conduit stub up where the wall will be. Use a heavy grade of plastic under the slab and do pour a 6" slab instead of a 4". The extremes of temp where you live are a concrete slabs worst enemy.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Biggest failure I ever saw on a garage my neighbor built was the foundation. It wasn't square. That caused all kinds of problems for him for the remainder of the project.

Make double dang sure it's square!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I retired in 2004 and we sold out on the coast and moved to Kamloops, into a double-wide trailer that, but for the steel frame, is essentially a 2x6 framed, modular 1620 square foot home. I then went back to work for my former employer on a contract basis for the next two years. Our property here is one point eight acres and we realized enough from our coastal home to be free and clear of any mortgage here. I contracted to have a workshop built. My shop is 30x40 feet, built on a 2x6 frame, steel sides and roof, fully insulated, gyp-rocked, with 12 foot ceiling and a wood heater. Eighteen feet from the back end I had a 2x6 framed, insulated wall with double sliding doors in the middle installed. The wall has a laminated 6x6 beam running right across the width of the shop and it is supported on each side of the double doors by laminated 6x6 uprights. In future, if one wishes to pull a motor, a chain can be passed through above the cross beam to facilitate that. I have one of those small radiant electric, free-standing oil heaters that gets plugged in in late October and it keeps that whole shop from freezing anything inside. If I were to rebuild it would be 30x60, have a mother-in-law suite, or at least a toilet, sink and shower. I would put plumbing in and the overhead doors would be in the end instead of the side because now the dang snow slides off the roof and “compact-piles” up in front of the doors, so that if I do not get it shoveled clear right away it freezes into a solid mini iceberg the width of two garage doors+.
    R.D.M.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast