RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 45-70 shot loads

Boolit Master

45-70 shot loads

I know this is for pistols but couldn't find anywhere else to post. I've been experimenting with very light loads using Unique and a round ball. I'd like to try using shot. Anyone know anything about this?

Boolit Grand Master

Foraging shot 45-70 load

I use a fired R-P case but others work just as well.

Deprime and reprime with standard LR (make doesn’t seem to matter) primer.

Drop 10 gr of Unique over primer and then gently push a ˝ gr of Dacron down on top as a “wad”.

A Federal 410SC shotcup is pushed in and seated down on top of the Dacron. I use a pencil (erasure end) for both of the above steps.

The cup is then filled with shot until it is “heaping” over the case mouth.

An inverted GC or a thick cardboard wad is pressed down until inside the case mouth.

The case mouth is then crimped to hold the GC/wad in. A standard roll crimp seating die works fine. I set a 230 gr .451 .45 ACP bullet (a 300 – 400 gr GC base bullet without the GC works well too) on top of the GC/wad. By adjusting the seating stem so the bullet holds the GC/wad just inside the case mouth at the right depth when crimped works well.

Velocity is 1160 fps out of my 22” barreled Trapdoor carbine. I’ve shot 20 shots with no leading as the bore is protected by the Federal wad. Pattern with 22” twist rifling is useable to 25 yards with 7 shot on grouse and rabbits and to perhaps 20 yards on quail. Ground sluicing is acceptable when “foraging”. Smaller shot should be used (8-9 size shot) if close range areal gunnery is done on smaller birds. For snakes at close range the number of shot with even #7 shot is dense enough given the amount of shot. This load is pretty much the same as a 2 ˝” .410 shot shell.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting that data Larry, I was only talking to a mate yesterday about such a load. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I copy and do the same load as Larry G.
    I have a mold in .45 LEE that throws a 160 grain round nose bullet and I use that for my top cap.

Make sure you follow his recipe and
    do not forget the overpowder wad that sits under the plastic .410 shot wad.
    Without that wad cushion you will collapse that plastic wad with blow by and ruin the shot pattern.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good info. I do similar in Starline 5 in 1 blank cases for .44 Magnum, .44-40, .45 Colt, etc.

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...-cases.496090/

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...n%20a%2044.htm

Attachment 267450Attachment 267451
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-08-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I wonder if this is a good use for those short Hornady leverv revolution cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
    I wonder if this is a good use for those short Hornady leverv revolution cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The longer cases allow me to get more shot in the case 45-120 would be even better for more payload i dont use the plastic shot cups just a cushion wad and over shot card with a crimp
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Thanks, I think I'll try this with my Contender in .444 Marlin.

Boolit Master
    When you properly load the shot in a shot sleeve with basewad, you use less shot but you get a nice pattern out to 25 yards.
    You won't get effective hits at 1/4 that distance using twice as much shot if you skip using the .410 shot sleeve.

Boolit Master
    I’ve thought that the shot capsule Speer makes for revolvers scaled up to hold 1/2 oz of shot and round nosed for .45-70 would be a dandy option if they chose to make them.
    Basically a modern version of the wooden foraging capsule the military used.