RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 40 S&W cast bullet loads?

Boolit Mold

40 S&W cast bullet loads?

Looking for a mild load for the 40 S&W with a 160gr RN lead bullet. Have plenty of bullseye and accurate #5 powder. Seems hard to find data for lead bullets in this caliber. Plenty of data for jacketed. Waiting for your response. Thanks

Boolit Master

How many loading manuals have you checked? Lyman's 3rd and 4th cast additions are a great source.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

You can safely use data for 170-180 grain boolits. This data will be slightly lighter than that for 160 grain boolits but will work fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My load data books have tons of loads. Also check the maker's website for loading charts. Print them off and build a loading reference book like I do.

I load lots of 40 S&W.

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    I use 3.8 grn of clays over the MP 165-penta hp
    Attachment 267163

Boolit Grand Master

You can use the Alliant data for Bullseye w/ 155/165 Speer GDHP bullets. You will not find a lot of loads for lead bullets. Use jacketed data and like always start at the bottom and work up.

I load 165gn coated FP from 6.4gn to 7gn of AA#5. You can safely load the 160RN with the same provided you work up as required.

Here's the latest from Accurate
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accurate5.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	267215
    Last edited by BC17A; 09-04-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all.

Boolit Bub
    When "working up", when do you stop? I have a 173grain hollow point from NOE -- I really like them. There is little load data for cast, especially for 40 cal. I will use W231, 700-x or WST. I don't mind starting at the bottom (about 4.1g) and going up. I'm not sure when you've gone too far. I've tried to "see" flattening and cratering of the primers, but so far, it all looks the same.

In general, do lead bullets need more or less powder than jacketed? How about hollow point?

Any hints?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Im not a fan of #5.... most of my 40 loads now are HS6 or PowerPistol. Most of my bullets are the LEE175 Traditional lube groove bullet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
    When "working up", when do you stop? I have a 173grain hollow point from NOE -- I really like them. There is little load data for cast, especially for 40 cal. I will use W231, 700-x or WST. I don't mind starting at the bottom (about 4.1g) and going up. I'm not sure when you've gone too far. I've tried to "see" flattening and cratering of the primers, but so far, it all looks the same.

In general, do lead bullets need more or less powder than jacketed? How about hollow point?

Any hints?
    Thanks
    When I work up a load, I start pretty much at the bottom. If I get start getting close to the max...say within 2 to 5 tenths of a grain, I stop there. If I can't reach an acceptable standard of accuracy by that point then I either abandon that powder or loosen my standards somewhat.

Regarding the amount of powder between jacketed and cast. I'm a big fan of Power Pistol as well. My 9mm practice load is 5.8 grains behind an Xtreme 124 grain plated. It has just about the same recoil and performance as my 'carry' ammo which is Federal 124 HST. It's a pretty 'snappy' load at about 1,100 fps (Glock 19). A Lyman 356402 (120 TC) with 5.8 grains Power Pistol runs about the same velocity. The bullet weights aren't the same but they're close.

I'm still experimenting with cast boolits in .40 but nothing outstanding to report yet.
    Last edited by mvintx; 04-09-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

AA #5 is my go to powder for the 40 S&W. My pet load is 5.6grs. behind a Berry 165gr bullet. It shoots POI in both my Kahr CM-40 and Steyr M-40.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Just use jacketed data. I prefer the HP38/WW231 for 40 and save wst for 9mm sub compact.
    Whatever!

I was using 5.8 grains of #5 under the lee tumble lube 175 grain powder coated.cycled fine and felt ok but wasn't the most accurate now i'm looking into bullseye powder for the same 175 grain lee bullet.

When I want a light load with that bullet weight I load 3.5gr of bullseye.ymmv

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk