Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: First round with the 310 tool

Boolit Master

First round with the 310 tool

I have had this 310 tong tool for over fifty years and I loaded my first round of 45-70 with it yesterday. Not too difficult.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Gets right on with the program. I like those lyman better than the lee handpress
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got a complete set like that in 45-70 (with the steel handles) and only use it rarely... because for some reason I can’t find as many opportunities to shoot the caliber. There’s something special about using the 310 tools to load hyphenated calibers like 45-70, 32-40, 32-20, etc. In fact, I’ve just acquired a Henry Rifle in 44-40, so of course I even had to equip myself with a 310 tool for that caliber too! I think they may be an addiction!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Frog Person

You speak the truth of addiction .... I am a borderline addict on most anything 310, my problem is the funds can't keep up with the desire.
    I too have a few sets of tools that I need the guns to complete, 45-70, 30-40, 30-30 and a few others...

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Gets right on with the program. I like those lyman better than the lee handpress
    I agree, with the caveat that my handpress is the Lyman convertible. While it is fine for decapping, or using as a bench mounted press, it is somewhat ill balanced to use handheld.

While the 310 isn't my favorite way to load ammo; it does produce quality ammunition, just at a slower pace than is normal these days.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I too have a few sets of tools that I need the guns to complete, 45-70, 30-40, 30-30 and a few others...
    That is the phase of the addiction of which I am trying to stop short - loading tools for guns that I do not have nor very, very soon plan to buy.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    Me: “Hello everybody. my name is Green Frog and I’m a reloading tool addict.”

Everybody: “Hello Froggie!”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Me: “Hello everybody. my name is Green Frog and I’m a reloading tool addict.”

Everybody: “Hello Froggie!”
    Id be in the same session with ya but im to broke to afford much of anything.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

They can be addicting. My first set was for the 44S and 44M. I think some of the most accurate loads for the 44's have come from those dies. Neck sizing, M style expanders and the precise crimp they provide I think are why.
    I have acquired sets for all the cartridges I load for. Well accept for the 30-30 set. I don't have one yet. It came with the .311 bullet size die and the Full length Shell Sizer.
    Some don't say the cartridge I use them for on the dies, such as the 222 set loads my 223 cases just fine. The 6.5 Jap loads the 6.5 CM. On the 7mm Mauser I could probably use them on the 280 Rem, I don't though, I got a set for the 280.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I've loaded many, many rounds with the TONG TOOL. It is still first choice for portable reloading though I might include a Lee Handpress just in case I needfull-length sizing for a bottleneck case. Still one of the better priming systems.