RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Zinc Wheelweights

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    For now I do not cast wheel weights most of the Lead I buy is shot with a spectro gun , Although I have always been very careful to keep Zinc out of my melt . Im finding so much zinc now in wheel weights for my liking I pass on wheel weights .

Boolit Master

Ten years ago:

100 pound bucket; (12 pounds of Steel, 7 pounds of Zinc, 18 pounds SOWW and 63 pounds COWW.)

Now:

100 pound bucket; (23 pounds of Steel, 35 pounds of Zinc, 9 pounds SOWW and 33 pounds COWW.)

Just not worth the trouble anymore!

DC-1
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Boolit Mold
    Should have read this thread before I tried using a turkey frier to melt a bunch of scrap lead a friend who does salvage gave me. There were a few steel ww’s and recognized a few zinc ones as well. Had car battery clamps, and lead pipe along with the ww’s and I’m pretty sure I melted some zinc in the mix. Never had a sort of purple color float to the top before, but before panicking I fluxed and tried casting. So far so good. Boolits fill out good and are plenty good for handgun practice rounds. Beside the weird color I don’t notice any real difference. So I’m in the so far so good category. I’ve always had a knack for learning the hard way. Will try a controlled heat to around 675-700 degrees to see if anything floats to the top. Think dumb luck May get me through the greed for the free lead.
    Last edited by jwlegal; 05-31-2022 at 11:40 PM.
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Always have the colour purple with my WW melts..........so all good I would say.......

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master

Your OK! Purple is pure lead from the other items!

If it casts good, I'd say your OK! Purple is the pure lead from the battery clamps and lead pipes! Heat pure hot and it goes rainbow on you. Yellow, purple and pinkish blue.

Fluxing will blend the alloy together and clear it up. Use a bit of paraffin wax and some pine saw dust for best results.

DC-1

Quote Originally Posted by jwlegal View Post
    Should have read this thread before I tried using a turkey frier to melt a bunch of scrap lead a friend who does salvage gave me. There were a few steel wws and recognized a few zinc ones as well. Had car battery clamps, and lead pipe along with the wws and Im pretty sure I melted some zinc in the mix. Never had a sort of purple color float to the top before, but before panicking I fluxed and tried casting. So far so good. Boolits fill out good and are plenty good for handgun practice rounds. Beside the weird color I dont notice any real difference. So Im in the so far so good category. Ive always had a knack for learning the hard way. Will try a controlled heat to around 675-700 degrees to see if anything floats to the top. Think dumb luck May get me through the greed for the free lead.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314