MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Father & Son Arrested For Illegal Hunting In Northern Michigan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Speak for yourself. I would trade having my hunting rights revoked for years for 90 days in jail.

I will say not all states are the same. South Dakota is phenomenal. The one and only warden I talked to, I went looking for. He was very courteous, and even told me where I could find swans, which is what I was hunting. Emails to SDGFD are returned within a day or three, and answer any questions I have.

That isn't Minnesota.I've never had either an email or phone question answered, and I don't know anyone who has. One time I even called the warden for my area directly, his number being listed multiple times online. His response "how did you get this number?" Eventually I asked my question, and was stuck with the same old MN DNR answer "ill have to call you back" Of course that never happens.

They don't answer questions about their muddy laws, and they follow you like you are a criminal the rest of the time. They ruin hunts just to bully you.

Back to the father and son, a reasonable fine would suffice. The way people talk, they could spend a year in jail, fined $20,000, loose their vehicles, guns, and who knows what else, and people would still cry they got off easy.
    I watched a few of those shows on Northern Law , where the wardens up north seem generally reasonable . But honestly I have no experience with out of state hunting .
    I have bumped into law enforcement officers that have ( the attitude ) throughout my life , but they seem to quickly move along . Sort of like the small town cop that wrote to many locals up for rolling stop signs on the way to work at 4-5 am , with enough complaints they generally don't stay around very long .
    Written complaints go a long way . Most of the want to be Robocop type G Men don't stay around very long .

Game Wardens are human. I've met great ones and ones that needed a beating. I have no problem with them enforcing law but speaking to courteous hunters like gangsters signals personal problems to me. One spoke very disrespectfully to my wife over a forgotten tag signature and made her cry. Monday morning I was in his superiors office who made the jerk videotape a complete apology on my phone to show my wife. I then showed it to every LGS and farm store in the county. Months later he was replaced by the county's first woman game warden who was polite, professional and feared by poachers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Back when I lived in Illinois, we had a very over aggressive game warden. He was over the top. There is a small town called Browning that has a lot of duck hunters. The powers that be were concerned that this warden would stir up the locals and that they'd find him floating in a drainage ditch. He was reassigned to a different area of the state.

Banned
    So there's a: Game Warden, Police Officer, WalMart Manager, UPS driver, whatever.....
    Someone doesn't like that person and then one day that person relocates. And the automatic assumption is the person was moved against their will as some type of punitive transfer.

The transfer couldn't possibly be voluntary, the result of a promotion or the organization just needed to fill the remote position.

We should substitute “poaching” for “illegal hunting” in the title. What they did was not hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Game Wardens are human. I've met great ones and ones that needed a beating. I have no problem with them enforcing law but speaking to courteous hunters like gangsters signals personal problems to me. One spoke very disrespectfully to my wife over a forgotten tag signature and made her cry. Monday morning I was in his superiors office who made the jerk videotape a complete apology on my phone to show my wife. I then showed it to every LGS and farm store in the county. Months later he was replaced by the county's first woman game warden who was polite, professional and feared by poachers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The two nicest MN game wardens I have met were women. I wish women were more involved with the DNR, it would make it better.

"Hunting" needs to be taken out of the headline. There is no such thing as "Illegal Hunting"
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Man

Hunger is a powerful force; driving a desperate family to do desperate things to put a meal on a table. More and more families are finding themselves in this situation with little to no outside assistance because of the lack of operational food pantries. Our supply chains are lacking and the price of food has shot through the roof! Super inflation is not expected to yield until the Feds decide to increase interests rates that will have unintended consequences for everyone living in the USA. Yes gloom and doom, but reality!

I have no problem with a family harvesting wildlife for survival period!
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

No such thing as “Illegal Hunting”. It is Poaching. No similarity to hunting
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

One does not have a freezer full of game and multiple trophy's and claim sustenance hunting, at least not if they don't want to judge to chuckle as he drops the hammer at your sentencing.

I have known people who do hunt to supplement their food, they dislike poachers and trespassers as much or more than most. Too often poachers will overhunt or employ methods that in effect would be taking food off their table as trophies.

We had a poacher that was busted with a dozen deer hanging in his garage. Between shining and bait piles he was wiping out a herd or two in an area. Other hunters reported him when he started getting people prime cuts from his hanging carcasses using a chainsaw.

I think the DNR seldom take cars and houses which I am somewhat skeptical of as putting people out on the street or taking their means of making a living or getting around is a bit extreme. I do think things such as equipment and quad runners should definitely be confiscated. Even hunting property or cabins might be on the block for egregious poaching without bother myself.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

We lived in rural SE Michigan for 15 years. In the late 80’s the DNR tried transplanting Szechuan Pheasants in the area we purchased our home. The following winter I pulled into our driveway after working a midnight shift. A DNR truck pulled in behind me. The two men got out and said their info indicated several Szechuan pheasants were at the back of my property and asked permission to look for them. After I agreed they each put on what looked like a directional tv antenna and headset and plodded through the snow to the swamp behind our pond.
    An hour later they were loading up and said they had found some birds that had entered mink & weasel holes and died when they couldn’t back out. A couple more had frozen to death in snow.
    We had seen these pheasants on our driveway several times in the fall. Never imagined they were wearing transmitters. I would think the DNR makes similar efforts to keep track of elk, moose, bobcats, cougars etc. the first turkeys they transplanted were wearing wires.
    I’ve been told Florida’s FWC has transmitters on the 90 or so remaining Florida Panthers in the state.
    Poachers beware.

Banned

I don't get to hunt any more due to lack of a place to legally hunt, I would still love to if I could find a landowner who would give permission. When I was hunting it wasn't about the law it was the honor system, if I didn't have permission I was honorable and didn't hunt. Besides I have friends who are willing to help me out with game if they have what they need.

"I duck hunt a lot. All it could take is to accidentally shoot a "mallard" that turns out to be that 4th wood duck. Run into the wrong game warden and I could loose my shotguns, boat, truck, everything I had that day."

I can't fathom mistaking a mallard for a wood duck... The body shape and flight patterns couldn't be any more distinguishable. As a duck hunter....if you shoot a mallard thinking it's a wood duck....well....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Lived in Bridgeport, Mi. A guy around the corner poached on our 10 acres at night with night vision scope. DNR never caught him. Found his hunting stand in our property about 10 yards in. He was always pulling down the property markers & signs. He was the older brother of an a$$hole I went to school with. The fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Down here the stand would be mine! Caught a couple of stands on my lease property one complete with feeders, Got pictures of the trespasser's on the camera, Sent the pictures down to the local Dairy Queen, 15 Minutes later I had names
    Being a nice guy I sent the local Deputy to inform them remove the hunting equipment or it's mine.
    It was pulled out of there.
    Added note the people at Dairy Queen know everyone...lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I believe in Michigan they can confiscate and sell any thing used in taking processing or storing game taken illegally. SO firearms, cars trucks, houses land any and everything.
    The Supreme Court of the United States declared such shenanigans unconstitutional last year, so you won't be seeing that sort of forfeiture ever again.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Father & Son Arrested For Illegal Hunting In Northern Michigan

His stand was an actual ice fishing hut dragged in with a cut trail for his quad. Too lazy to walk 500 yards! I thought about boobytrapping it.
    Could hear him shooting late at night.

Boolit Master
    Our warden said they spend little time on deer hunters. Hunters are hard pressed to control herds I guess. With fishing on the other hand there is very vigorous enforcement.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    They didn’t seem to care much. Bet if he accidentally got shot they might have cared. Residential area, not 30 yards from the nearest house.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    They didn’t seem to care much. Bet if he accidentally got shot they might have cared. Residential area, not 30 yards from the nearest house.

I swear I don't know who put that target of a big ol buck on the side of you're icehouse/fishing/night-time hunting stand?

Poormans Napalm is good stuff btw

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    Hunger is a powerful force; driving a desperate family to do desperate things to put a meal on a table. More and more families are finding themselves in this situation with little to no outside assistance because of the lack of operational food pantries. Our supply chains are lacking and the price of food has shot through the roof! Super inflation is not expected to yield until the Feds decide to increase interests rates that will have unintended consequences for everyone living in the USA. Yes gloom and doom, but reality!

I have no problem with a family harvesting wildlife for survival period!
    There isn't anyone starving in the USA. There's plenty of free food and free money to pay for the food. Having to hunt to keep from starving to death is a myth in this day and age.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast