RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Late Father's 22 Mauser

Jniedbalski, The hood normally stays on. It is hard to get off. I only took it off for the photo. The front blade is so thin I wouldn't risk damaging it. But you are right, I can see and aim much better without the hood. I suppose what I should do is make a bigger round hood to use in the field should I want to use the rifle with open sights.

Something like this.

jsizemore, I'm thinking of your suggestion to use a dab of nail varnish on the front bead. It would make it bigger for a start.

I'm debating whether to buy a brick of Eley Club. The stuff seems to shoot well in other rifles too. Today a fellow at the range was showing me his SX results and they were impressive! But then he has a brand new quality rifle. At least I know the Eley Club works in the Mauser.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-10-2021 at 11:23 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    It is funny that my parts from my jw15 and my burno will interchange . The mag and front sight hood . The Chinese did a good job of copping it. It looks almost identical. My son used my jw15 and lost the 5 round mag in the woods. They are impossible to find in the states being banned in the 90’s.but Canada and Australia still import them. One day I tried the burno mag and it worked perfect. I did find a new on at a gun store a new burno one ,but at 65$ for A 5 round kind of sucked. The old JW15 mag was all steel the new burno one is steel with the bottom floor plate plastic. My front sight is also very small very thin blade. Iam like you I can only use a adjustable front lense scope now with my eyes. Some scopes with out it it’s blurry with glasses the cross hairs, and the target is fine. With glasses off the cross hairs are sharp but the target is blurry. It sucks getting old. Have fun with it.

FWIW:

I've owned a couple of different mauser 22lr's over the decades, all of them like the cheap sk standard+ over the eley club.

Used to buy a lot of eley club, used it to season the bbl's on clean rifles. It used the same lube as the 10x & match.

After concluding that this rifle likes Eley Club I found some and bought a brick. But I discovered the barrel was touching the barrel channel so I packed the barrel on the opposite side to wedge it in the channel plus a pucker under the barrel to hold it firm. This at the end of the barrel channel. I also gave the bore a bit of a polish with AutoSol.
    It seamed to take out a lot of black stuff. So today I got to take it to the range and give it a workout.

I did manage to get a nice group with it but then the groups started opening up. I also tried Geco Target in it and just to see, I tried some Remington Subsonic HP. The latter shot a pattern!

Eley Club

But until I can get the barrel free in the barrel channel it's really just paddling upstream. However, I did get some trigger time with her and it was great. The scope is more or less zeroed so what's not to like? It's an awesome rifle to shoot with.

Boolit Master

Pretty Shootin Piece, historical and family heirloom to boot!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

.303 - It's probably worth your time to play across the wider Eley spectrum. All the EPS bullet loads are basically production rejects that didn't quite make it onto the Tenex pedestal for various reasons. Knowing the level of players Tenex is made for, the reason for downgrading might be as minor as a worker sneezed in the general vicinity of a beeswax block before they melted it down for lube.

At any rate, I was fortunate enough to be able to test a number of .22 match loads on a 100 yard indoor range about ten years back, and the Eley Team was the winner of the day, from a proned, slung-up, Unertl'd Winchester 52. I know it was at least ten rounds into 5/8", though I might well have gone for 20. Point being, even the lower-priced end of their "rejects" might be all any non-Olympic rig needs.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Pretty Shootin Piece, historical and family heirloom to boot!
    Yup. It sure is. When I hold it I think of the hunting stories my father used to tell me about it. Now that he is gone, that rifle bears fond memories. I've been remembering his tales. Then there's the fact that I grew up with that rifle and thinking back to my youth, I did some fair shooting with it. But not only that, it is such a slick action and has a great trigger. Plus the historic aspect of it. It's a pity all the Mauser factory records were lost or destroyed.

Bigslug, I must admit that prices kinda limit my choices, but you are right. I have actually tried a small spectrum of Eley, not the tenex though. Apart from not being any, I'll hold off until I am satisfied that I have all the bugs ironed out. The scope messed me around a bit. Take a look at this target.

That was attempting to zero adjust the scope. It went from extreme left to extreme right with just a few clicks. I can understand adjusting out and the moving bit doesn't follow the adjust but adjusting in and it jumps too far? Then adjusting out a small amount and it jumps tp the opposite extreme? This was immediately before the group I posted before.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-03-2021 at 01:42 AM.

So I found the cause of that horizontal string above. Scope loose on rail! But after that 'group' the groups went south. The bore was fouled with lead. I gave it a good scrub yesterday and today it behaved itself.

That one flyer was just that - a flyer. The round jammed on chambering which I'm sure would have damaged it but I fired it anyway and it landed out of group as I expected. This was now with Geco Match.

Boolit Master
    That is a really nice rifle there that you have. I have thought about getting one myself. But so far the only one I have seen is a big one that they have at our local big box store. Unfortunately it is missing the rear sight. I doubt that one could find another rear sight to install on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12