MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 whelen with large pistol primers

Boolit Master

35 whelen with large pistol primers

I loaded 5 rounds of 35 whelen using Large Pistol primers.
    200gr FN cast 0.359/ 18.4 gr/2400 / G.I. Brass resized to 35 whelen
    they shot as well as the same load using rifle primers, good group at 50 yds.
    I did detect just a slight "lag" between the strike of the primer and full discharge, but not that affected the shooting.
    In Freedom
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    I get the same when loaded with 2400 with any type of primer. I never use the Dacron fill but perhaps, that is what is needed here.
    I am curious to see others response. Interesting topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol primers being shorter than rifle primers, occasionally they have trouble igniting because of light firing pin strikes. If yours goes off, then should be all good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Where the shorter pistol primers fully seated? Your lag time tells me something isn't right with the load.

Having the firing pin fully seat the primers then igniting them could be the cause.

Robert

Boolit Master

see attached....5 shots with LRP cold barrel
    last 5 shots with LPP slightly warmer barrel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1815 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	306061

I believe the LRP gave slightly better results....also, ignore the "flier" ..that was ME not the ammo or rifle, I got distracted.
    There were good strike on all the primers, and only one round with a slight "lag" in ignition.
    atr

Boolit Master

Bottom
    Line, its best stick with Rifle primers in Large size.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see a problem with using LP primers if that is all that is available. I usually use LRM primers with light loads of 2400 or Unique and NO filler.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Try a mag primer and see if this eliminates the lag time ?

Are you checking the headspace of your fired brass? Given the skimpy shoulder of the .35 Whelen, shoulder setback will be a serious problem with such light loads. Making the load work with pistol primers would be very much worthwhile. Other option is drilling out flash holes, which may not be desirable since the brass is scarce.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I use LPP in all my .35 Whelen cast loads, also use dacron to stop the lag. The LPP give a more uniform load than the standard large rifle loads.

Boolit Master

uscra112...
    headspace is good, also I only neck size the fire-formed brass.

my use of LPP was more in the way of an experiment as I have often wondered if using them was possible in loads designed for LRP.

I have loaded & shot over a thousand 8x57mm Mauser w/ 16 gr 2400 & WLP primer. No issues ever. No lag, and very good accuracy w/ 195 gr Saeco out of a very pitted bore.

"Very Good" can always be deceptive w/o numbers, so, to quantify by 2 large group results at 100yd: Group 1 -- 3.5" (40/40 shots), 2.625" (30/40), 20/40 all touching in one large hole 1.875" high & 0.75" wide; Group 2 -- 4.0" (50 shots), 34 shots into one hole 2" high, 1.5" wide. This is the best this gun has given me for large groups.
    I have tipped the gun up, down, held level, all before firing groups, shot in 20° weather and 90°, and no change in regards to firing characteristic, and no notable changes in regard to group size.

I know an 8x57 is not a 35 Whelen, and while I have not used my Whelen w/ pistol primers yet, I will have no qualm in doing so when my preloaded ammunition from 10 years ago runs out for my 35.

I switched to LP in rifle cases for cast, and even other loads <40K psi w/ flake or stick powders and moderate powder charges, simply out of convenience when I ran low on rifle primers. I see no reason to go back to rifle primer for many of my uses, unless my supply of primers flips and I end up w/ an excess of LR.
    I am not speaking about using LP primers in high pressure rifle loads, or larger cases than 35 Remington (which I have entirely switched for my use, cast, jacketd, max load, etc.).

I suspect that the ignition lag noted is probably not just because a LP primer was used (be nice to know what LP primer), as I have seen same w/ LR primers (S&B) in the 8x57 when using Russian surplus flake (recently auctioned by a business going by the name of Fort Smith Powders) in cast bullet loads. More likely the lag was caused by Which Primer was used. (i.e. not as easy as LP vs. LR primer)
    Same load: 195 Saeco, 25 gr FSP 749, showed powder position sensitivity w/ the S&B large rifle primer and not w/ a WLP.

Boolit Master
    I have been using Winchester large pistol primers for cast boolit loads in my .250 Savage bolt action for some time now, and the results have been excellent. I have not been able to detect any measurable difference between Winchester large pistol and large rifle primers with my load of 14.3g of Reloder 7 and a Saeco 100g cast boolit.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

The primers I have been using have been CCI, both LR and LP.
    the measured 5 shot LRP group in the picture was 1" x 7/8"
    best, and thanks for all your thoughts
    atr

I seat LP .010 deeper than LR, which is the difference in primer thickness. Haven't noticed any lag.
    Zero difference in accuracy with mouse fart loads. 35 rem / Titegroup.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting 200 gr C with flat nose and getting good groups at 100 yds...about 1-1/4" max
    these were sized at 0.360
    today I went out with 200 gr C with Round nose and sized 0.358...and this was not successful as the group size really opened up.
    I think the sized diameter has a lot to do with the accuracy, so I am going to stick with 0.360 sized diameter.
    best and in Freedom
    atr

The 500S&W originally spec'd with LP primers, 60kpsi
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned
    I'm shooting my 35 Whelen with the Mihec 217 grain hollow point with Unique and large rifle primer using a peep sight on my rifle and getting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I'm not going to change a thing!!

LRP are being made from unobtanium up here

and when you find them, they are pretty pricey.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master

atr

The "lag" is a delay that is happening from ignition to efficient burn caused by the large volume cases and the expansion ratio of the 35 cal. Can lead to problems. Suggest one or both possible solutions.

Increase the amount of 2400 until no "lag" is detected.

Drill out the flash holes of your cast bullet cases with a #30, #29 or #28 drill (#28 is the largest) to get the primer flash into the case quicker. I use such cases for many of my cast bullet loads in case of 308W capacity and larger. Contrary to popular thought there is no increase in pressure or danger, even with full top end jacketed bullet loads.

Also, your use of LP primers in the 35 Whelen with such cast bullet loads poses no problems.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast