RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 348 win cast

Boolit Master

348 win cast

does anyone have a 348 win mold? what weight ? rick

Boolit Master
    Sure, got several from bout 180gn to 250gn or there bout.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

sent a pm rick

Boolit Master
    I will as soon as the 350-225 Group buy mold arrives.

John

Boolit Buddy
    I have a LBT 220gr LFN and an older Ideal that weighs around 185gr. Both shoot real well in my Browning 71, I have shot several deer with the LBT bullet, softpointed and as air cooled wheel weight. That LBT bullet cast as a softpoint going 2100fps is a real thumper. Veral Smith can make you up a mold that will work real well in your rifle.
    JW

Le Loup Solitaire

Cast for .348

I have an old Lyman #350482 single cav, gas check, that casts with WW at .349 and weighs around 250 grains. They're tough to find , but every now and then one surfaces on E-Bay; problem is it sets off a bidding war. Lyman #350447 is another popular mold. It weighs around 200 grains. but it too is out of current production. LLS

I also have a #350482, bought it back in the fifties, when I got my 71. It's a nice bullet for the brush, with three lube grooves. Unfortunately, there's no crimp groove, and to stay within max. overall length, you've got to crimp forward of the driving bands. With the long bullet extending into the case, I had trouble with my Lyman gas checks falling off, and rattling around in the case, so I stopped using them. Solved this problem when Hornady came out with crimp-ons.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy

348 bullets

I have four if I counted right.The RCBS 200,a 250gr. Rapine,a 225gr. NEI and a 250gr. from Mountain molds.the one from MM is the only one I have shot.I killed a buck with it two years ago.

Boolit Master

what do you size at? I can get a sizer from Lee for $29 Rifle has not shot a full box of shells so bore is mint. rick

Boolit Master
    We get best results at .350" to .351"
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    I also use a ,351 sizer.

Boolit Master
    I have the big NEI mould as well as others. The NEI drops boolits at about 270 grains and is a serious hunting tool. I've mostly used an RCBS 200 for range work to save metal. I have a couple others by a custom maker that are in the 235-245 range but they see little use as they are not correct for nose dimension. Normally size at .350.

A recent thread on this site complained about currrent quality of NEI moulds. Mine is a post Walt mould (about 3 years old now) and is one of the best mould I own in any caliber . Both cavities are virtually identical as are the boolits. Drops freely when opened. Also shoot well although I no longer have a M71 and am waiting for a bargain #1 Ruger to have custom barreled as I really can't see open sights worth a darn any more and need scope compatability.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of 348 moulds made by CBE (Aussie mould maker). Mould numbers are 350220 & 350262. The smaller bullet weighs around 232gr checked and lubed and the larger one, 272gr. CBE also make PB versions of them too.

The smaller one is designed so that bullet shank fills the neck, however with the longer one the base of the bullet sits below the neck line. Both have been very accurate at fairly high speeds in my Browning 71 (2000-2200 fps). The front driving band on both bullets is a little too long for the non-existent Browning throat, but I just seat the bullets a fraction deeper for clearance and this makes for a snug fit in the throat.

I also have been experimenting with Veral Smiths's 'glue on patch' idea. Here I used patched 338 PB cast slugs out of the 348 with good effect. This one I have pushed over 2300 fps with good accuracy, however they are somewhat fiddly to make. The beauty of this technique is that you can cast out of soft alloy and get good expansion without all the fuss of de-tempering bullet noses, HP-ing bullets etc etc. Oh yeah, and no gas check either. The mould I used for this is CBE's 340200, which was designed for the 33 Winchester.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I size to 0.350 and my Browning's barrel slugs 0.3475".

FWIW I made a lead throat impression and there is absolutely no throat in my rifle, ie the rifling starts exactly from end of the chamber. However the chamber does extend a fraction beyond normal brass length and this does provide some "throating" (if you know what I mean).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor1960 View Post
    I have four if I counted right.The RCBS 200,a 250gr. Rapine,a 225gr. NEI and a 250gr. from Mountain molds.the one from MM is the only one I have shot.I killed a buck with it two years ago.
    Just ran across this thread today. jtaylor1960, is the MM you have the one he had on his web site before he started making only user designed molds? I think it was supposed to have a sort of bore ride diameter at the front of the boolet. I have one of those molds but have not used it because I have several other levers that I've been working with.
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    I also have a #350482, bought it back in the fifties, when I got my 71.
    Morgan

Far be it for me to question another's reason for purchasing a gun .

But I am curiouse as to your reason for getting a 348 WCF to hunt in the Carolina's ? Did you hunt the western mountains for bear back in the 50's and 60's perhaps ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I looks like any mold I get is over a $100 even a single. A 348 with jacket bullets is too much recoil to plink with. I want to stay light 180 200 range. A guy here offered let me use a mold but he will not reply now so I guess he didnt want to loan it anyway

Boolit Buddy

cast loads in Browning 71

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    I have a LBT 220gr LFN and an older Ideal that weighs around 185gr. Both shoot real well in my Browning 71, I have shot several deer with the LBT bullet, softpointed and as air cooled wheel weight. That LBT bullet cast as a softpoint going 2100fps is a real thumper. Veral Smith can make you up a mold that will work real well in your rifle.
    JW
    I have tried several cast bullets (Mt. Baldy 250gr and some a friend gave me that his Dad casts) They all work well in my Win 71 but I cannot close the action on them in my Browning 71. How do you get yours to work, I read years ago that the Browning 71s had minimal throat and did't work with cast bullets as a result with out reaming out the throat...which I'm not going to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    How do you get yours to work, I read years ago that the Browning 71s had minimal throat and did't work with cast bullets as a result with out reaming out the throat...which I'm not going to do.
    Get yourself a Lee factory crimp die in 348 and use your other seat/crimp die as a seater only. Adjust the seater so that the bullet clears the lands, then apply a crimp via the Lee FCD. My rifle has proved to be very accurate with cast using the 'factory throat'.

My Browning also has no throat but has a long chamber neck which may appear to be a very short throat, but isnt. See pics below.

The left pics shows a lead impression of the chamber/throat area of my Browning.

The right pic shows Barnes 250gr FN, CBE 350262, 350220 and 3 pics of CBE 340200 patched for use in the 348.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1242.JPG   IMG_1237.JPG  
    Last edited by JFE; 12-19-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I have tried several cast bullets (Mt. Baldy 250gr and some a friend gave me that his Dad casts) They all work well in my Win 71 but I cannot close the action on them in my Browning 71. How do you get yours to work, I read years ago that the Browning 71s had minimal throat and did't work with cast bullets as a result with out reaming out the throat...which I'm not going to do.
    Bigbear,

I too use the lee factory crimp die, in fact the 220gr LFN LBT boolit does not even have a crimp groove on it. This bullet when seated with gas check flush with bottom of case neck will chamber just fine. This is the heaviest LFN that will work in my Browning, Veral first cut me a 240gr and it would not chamber unless seated with check well into the case. If you provide Veral with a chamber impression and case with a bullet seat backwards that is touching the rifling he can make you a mold that will do what want for your rifle. That 220gr LFN shoot better than any jacket bullet I have tried.
    JW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast