RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel liners

I own a large frame H&A that I rebarreled to 50-70 I had to make a new extractor and silver soldered the barrel shank into the receiver. I also have a Merlin & Hulbert small frame in 22 rf that is nearly the same as a H&A m 922.
    I have rarely seen a medium frame for sale and the ones I have seen have been in poor condition. Being your rifle has been modified and not really a collector gun I would see if you could get someone to just fit a used take off barrel for it as all you would be loosing is the barrel markings and would have a lot less money in it. I would probably make it a 32 S&W long or maybe a 32 H&R as you can use about any 30-32 cal barrel and they are a dime a dozen used.
    Just my 2 cents.

Jedman

A replacement barrel should certainly be on the table. One of my 822s is wearing a repurposed Marlin 60 barrel. Nobody notices until I point it out. (Probably because nobody has ever seen an 822 before!) It shoots like a modern rifle, although I limit it to Subsonic ammo. Not a very robust action, is the 822.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah! The idea of using a 30 caliber barrel and chambering it in it in 32 h&r is in the works on my end. Have used the chamber inserts on a mosin nagant, and it's the ideal approach for a"whisper" rifle. Have a friend who even suggested doing the chamber in 32 Federal, but I don't think I'll go that far. At any rate, fiddling with very heavy for caliber loads out of a long barrel with ridiculously small powder charges can tickle your funny bone.

As I think I already posted, the rebounding hammer of the H&A makes it unsafe for high pressure. Since the hammer does not back up the firing pin, burst primers are a certainty. "Whisper" loads with heavy bullets work by creating a short pulse of very high pressure at the beginning of the bullet's travel down the barrel.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12