Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Measure 1 Grain of Powder Accurately?

Boolit Master

How to Measure 1 Grain of Powder Accurately?

I am at the point where I am going to start loading 22 Ladybug ammunition.
    I plan to use .25ACP load data because internal case capacity and bullet weight are really close to the 25ACP.
    One problem I solved was modifying a powder funnel to get the powder into the case.
    I have a LEE micro disk for the powder measure and may make an insert for a powder through die.
    Any other ideas on an accurate way to measure such a small powder charge?

Boolit Buddy
    I think for quantities that small I'd use the old dipper method. Just trim a case to where it holds the proper amount of powder, then use it as a scoop. Always scoop the powder the same way, never tap down. You can solder the case to a piece of wire to use as a handle.

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Chris has a good suggestion. Easy enough to cut down a .22 shell and try it for repeatablity anyway.

I've got a Harrell's schutzen measure that is supposed to be good for small charges but it depends on the type of powder and can't always be trusted.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    My Lee PPM will throw 1.3 ans 1.5gr(100 measured charges) of BE all day long. IDK if they will do one grain.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Cut down a .22 brass and make a little handle for it out of duct or masking tape.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned the dipper will work well. Other way would be to modify a lee disk powder measure by sleeving the holes down smaller and re cutting them. One of the newer drums could be sleeved down and a smaller rod made also making a measure better suited to the small charges. An drum measure with the drums cavity sleeved down to 1/4"- 5/16" dia with the rod fitted would work much better for the small charges and be easier to adjust. The lee plastic measures could be done with plastic tubing, rods, and glue. A metal measure would require more machining and press fits or fancy welding. A belding and mull measure could have a simple measure tube made with the smaller bore. A piece of brass 1/2 round stock with 1/4" hole drilled thru it a 1/4" rod and thumb screw. Another plus would be going to fine or extra fine threads for adjustments. Im thinking a 1/4" measuring chamber with 1/4 36 tpi would add about .5 grns per revolution making it easy to adjust

Boolit Grand Master

For me a home made dipper and trickler would be best. A 22 lr case with a coat hanger wire soldered to the side would make a good dipper. Either cut it down in length or a drop or two of epoxy inside to lessen capacity. Haven't tried my Lee PPM down that low, but it may work.

I checked on line and a Lee 1.7cc dipper is rated at 1.6 gr of Bullseye. It would be easy to lessen the capacity for 1.0 gr...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-22-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Pacific (Bair branded also) Pistol Powder measure with the slide and the brass inserts that go into the slide. I got a piece of 1/2" brass rod and cut 1/2" slices from it with a hacksaw. Put it in my wood lathe and drill a small hole in it. Ream that hole a little with my Lyman 60 degree reamer. The reamed side is the top, obviously. I've made inserts for 1gr and for 1.2gr. as well as larger. With Bullseye it is remarkably consistent.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes. I make custom dippers from 22 cut-offs. I silver solder a 6" piece of brass welding rod on for a handle. The volume can always be adjusted down by grinding off a bit more of the rim. To make it adjustable ± make the case long and push cardboard punch-outs down in the bottom and remove one at a time until you get it where you want.

Banned

When I started to load for .32 S&W for an Iver Johnson top break, guys told me I needed to make a dipper as well. I figured I'd try the easy way first.

For what it's worth, a Lyman 55 will throw 1.1 grain of Bullseye dead on accurately all day long.

Boolit Master
    a lyman 55 will drop 1 gr every time. if you just use the top slide. the 22 short case super glue to a Popsicle stick and tap on side will do 1 gr of Bullseye . have not tried the 110

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I had two custom rotors made by my gunsmith in brass to meter tiny smokeless "igniter-booster" charges for my BP-duplex cowboy loads. In the RCBS Little Dandy Measure, the one marked #0000 meters 1 grain of Bullseye, or 1.2 grains of Titegroup for .38 Special and .44 Russian, and the #000 meters 1.5 grains of Bullseye or 1.8 grains of TiteGroup for .44-40 or .45 Colt. The smallest RCBS makes is a #00 which meters 1.7 grains of Bullseye or 2 grains of TiteGroup, which is more than you need for this purpose. Dropped in next to the primer under a full case-capacity charge of Goex 3Fg these enable firing 100+ rounds with SPG lube and no wiping or blow-tubing in either rifle or revolver. Afterwards the guns are sure easy to clean!

"Our Secret"...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I make a dipper using a 22 case but have found to be consistent I heap the scoop and tap level.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

MDI, you might want to recheck your figures on the Lee dippers. In my set there is no 1.7 cc dipper.
    The Smallest charge on the slide rule with the set is the .3 cc and drops 2.8 grs of BE.
    I have never used charges that light for anything I load for.
    I do have the 55 powder measure and have found it very accurate to use.
    The Lee Disc measure might work well. One thing about it, it can't change it setting accidently.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    The most consistent powder measure I have found for very small charges is the Lee DELUXE Perfect Powder measure with the small drum. I check small charges by throwing 10 charges into the scale pan and weighing. I have found the variance over TEN charges to be under 0.1 grains. I have an old Bonanza that use the brass rotors, it can be consistent, but it is not adjustable, I have made new rotors, seldom use it with the Lee auto-disc and powder measure working very well for me. My tiny charges are mostly HP-38 or Tite-Group in 32 ACP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    MDI, you might want to recheck your figures on the Lee dippers. In my set there is no 1.7 cc dipper.
    The Smallest charge on the slide rule with the set is the .3 cc and drops 2.8 grs of BE.
    I have never used charges that light for anything I load for.
    I do have the 55 powder measure and have found it very accurate to use.
    The Lee Disc measure might work well. One thing about it, it can't change it setting accidently.
    Leo
    MDI @#7 had a decimal point jump a place. He's talking about Lee's now smallest dipper the .17cc. My old set doesn't have one of these either, 44magLeo. 1.7cc of Bullseye would be about 16grains.

Boolit Grand Master

Make a dipper with a cut down 22 short case , actually it's easier to fill the 22 short dipper with thin cardboard or plastic disc's and glue them in place than cutting down the 22 short case .
    Use #12 copper wire to form a handle and solder in place.
    A dipper made from a 22 short case will dip 2.5 grains of Bullseye ...you gonna have to take up some room in the case . I find it easier to adjust weight by taking up room in the case rather than trying to keep cutting it shorter and shorter . It's easier to remove some filler if you go too far .
    Putting brass back on a shortened too much case doesn't work .
    A 1.0 grain dipper...wow ,
    Good Luck
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Lyman 55

Boolit Master

Thanks for the help!
    I made a dipper from a 22LR case and a piece of coat hanger wire, not much left to the case!

A dipper just shy and trickle to 1.0 gr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast