Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steroid 392

Steroid 392

Always wanted to try a Mac1 steroid job on a 392.
    I’ve had a 392 for several years and it’s a tack driver, but pellet picky. I was getting ready to send it to Mac1, but came across very lightly used 392pa that still had the paint in the bore.
    Owner said it had’nt been shot but about 6 times and had a Baker scope base and rings included in the deal.
    I bought it and glad I did lol. It has a beautifully cut beech stock... muck slimmer than my original one that looks like Mickey Mouse made it.

Anyway, got the paint out of the bore and it shot 6 out of the first 7pellets I tried in it from crosman to jsb into 1/4” to 3/8” 5 shot groups at 20 and 25 yds.
    Yep... gone to Mac1 for steroid treatment.
    He should be receiving it today, so now the wait begins!
    I’ll report on performance once it’s back.

What’s a steroid treatment?

Mac1 Airguns puts a solid steel billet and pump linkage in them along with an adjustable piston and trigger work. He does some things to the valve also.
    Net result is supposed to be the same performance on 6 pumps as in 8 pumps in a stock gun and over 800 FPS. With 14 pumps with 14.3 gr. Pellets.
    The real power comes with 25 to 30 gr. Pellets in the 25 to 30 ft. Lb. range according to the reports i’ve read.

I shipped that rifle last Thursday with 2 day shipping... just got notification it’s out for delivery today by 8:00 pm... gggrrrrr!!! I’d say that’s a bit more than 2 days.

Well, recieved an e- mail from USPS..... unable to deliver due to animal intervention.....will try again tommorrow.
    Lol, that’s the last time I pay for 2 day shipping; tommorrow is day no. 8 of which 6 of those days the package will have been in California.

Boolit Master

Hahaah. "Animal intervention"... <sarscaum>. Probably Trump stopped delivery. Hahahaha. The arrogance of Polosi never fails to astound.

Uncle Timmy will Make it right and knows what it needs. Depending on age determines what if any linkage it needs. But he knows and will tell ya.

I dont know if you have been advised. But dont call and ask look for updates or information. He will give you time frame and just wait. You will be better in long run!

I have three two he steroided and they are awesome!! Mine are Sheridans but Be jis are right there too!

Buy extra bottle of juice and USE IT! Keep couple
    Pumps in when not in use.

Enjoy!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Thanks CW,

This one is a 2015 model pa, so it will need the billet and linkage. Yeah, my imagination has been running wild on the “animal intervention” thing..... Think Mac turned the dog loose on the postman lol?
    I’m on pins and needles now till I see it’s been delivered... this is getting rediculous now. Once it’s there i’ll Relax a bit lol.
    I’ve got a super accurate 397 to play with till this one gets back and another 392 that needs a new pump linkage and some stock finishing and reshaping.

Oops, I said I mailed my 392 Thursday in my 1st post... it was mailed last Monday. Anyway it was delivered today, so that’s a load off my mind now.
    Hope it’s back by squirrel season, which will be October!

Got notification from Mr. Tim today.... ships Monday if the pressure test on the valve goes well!:
    Can’t wait!

Boolit Buddy
    How much does he charge for the work? I have a 397PA I'd like him to work over.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    How much does he charge for the work? I have a 397PA I'd like him to work over.
    Depends on whether you have the stock cut for the extended billet or not.
    I opted not to cut the stock and just use his regular length billet arm, just makes it a bit harder to pump.
    So for that, trigger job is included, and a Mac1 scope rail bbl. mount was $270.00 with shipping.
    Without the the scope base it’s $205.00 plus shipping I believe. I think the extended billet arm adds about $35.00 or so.

I also have a nail driving 397 I would like to send him for trigger work and his standard length billet arm, but I may or may not have the steroid treatment done to it. Have’nt decided yet.
    Can’t wait to recieve the 392! It’s going to be a power house with heavy pellets for sure!

The 392 arrived today from Mac1. Had to get to work, but i’ll put a scope on it tonight, and hopefully have time to run a few pellets through it and maybe do some chrono testing.

Finally got a chance to throw a cheap Barska 3x9 scope on the Mac1 bbl. base and rough sight it in using Benji 14.3 gr. Hp pellets.
    Then I ran a few shots through the chrony.
    Just one shot each so far at 6,8,10, and 12 pumps. Haven’t tried 13 nor 14 pumps yet, but it dumped all the air at 12 pumps.

6 pumps@642.5
    8pumps@725.8
    10 pumps@758.6
    12 pumps@808.9 and 20.5 ft. lbs.

The pumping after 6 pumps gets stiffer quickly, but is smooth and positive with no side play or slop in the pump handle compared to stock.
    The thick steel in the billet and pump linkage inspires confidence for longevity. Trigger is nice and light.
    I like it already!

No real avg. on velocity yet, but one each at 13 and 14 pumps with the Benji 14.3 gr. pellets

13 pumps 829.8 FPS. and 21.8 gr. lbs.
    14 pumps 847.8 FPS. and 22.8 ft. lbs.
    It began to retain air at 13 pumps.
    All chrono no’s. we’re attained at 3 ft. from the muzzle, so you can add about 4 FPS. for muzzle vel.
    Lol, not bad for a pump rifle.... Thanks Mac1 Airguns and Mr. Tim!

Boolit Master

Nice pumper!
    Your comments about pump linkage inspires confidence is reassuring.
    Years ago I over pumped Sheridans, and a 342 benji with little confidence the linkage would hold up.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Clodhopper,

Pumping after steroiding feels like your opening and closing a bank vault lol! It’s hard to describe, but it’s definitely solid feeling.
    Anything over 8 pumps is a real workout though, but it’s nice to have the extra speed and power on tap if the need arises.
    I can see how his “extended billet arm” would help on pumping, but I wanted to keep the original stock look to the rifle, and just went with the regular billet and arm. I’ll probably use it on 8 pumps 90% of the time.
    I really like the rounded “Sheridan” style end cap he puts on them too.
    All in all, I think it’s worth far more than he charges to have the work done to them.... but that’s just me.

Btw, you probably already knew, but the pump arm is adjustable on them.

Got a chance to run some heavier pellets through the chrony today.

Jsb 18.1 gr. 14 pumps @ 796.7 and 25.5 ft. lbs. @3 ft. from the muzzle.
    Jsb 25.4 gr. 14 pumps @ 699.9 and 27.6 ft. lbs. @3 ft. from the muzzle.

That’s pretty healthy no’s. from a pumper in my book lol!
    I definitely want to find a pellet mold in the 20 gr. range for this rifle.
    NOE seems to be out of them for now.

Boolit Master

Awesome preformance!!

I dont remember my Sheridan numbers

I should do again and compair the two I have.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Awesome preformance!!

I dont remember my Sheridan numbers

I should do again and compair the two I have.

CW
    Thanks CW,

Are your Sheridan’s stock, or have been steroided?

Boolit Master

I have three that have been out ta uncle Tim!! Two came back steroided one was just a rebuild. Then I have three other stockers. Newest was still walnut and built with factory prts but was after Chrosman took over.

My fav airguns.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have three that have been out ta uncle Tim!! Two came back steroided one was just a rebuild. Then I have three other stockers. Newest was still walnut and built with factory prts but was after Chrosman took over.

My fav airguns.

CW
    Wow, quite a collection you have! Nice!
    They’re my favorite air rifles too CW; I have 2 392’s and a 397, but only the one 392 has been steroided.
    I’ve shot my first 392 so much the stock pump arm has slack in it and needs replacing and i’m considering sending my 397 to Tim for steroid treatment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast