RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ode to the S&W Model 10/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I really like the 4” pencil barrel, but once owned a 5” that I really miss. I also had a 6” for a short while. I’m not that big on the heavy barrels, but nowadays I’d jump on one for sure.
    In a K-frame chambered for 38 Special, the pencil barrel and heavy barrel both have their place. I've owned (and still own) both types. I think the pencil barrel was often a bit maligned and overlooked in favor of the heavy barrel. This is unfortunate because the pencil barrel is obviously lighter and shoots just as well. The heavy barrel gives the shooter a little more muzzle forward weight and a lot of shooters feel it "hangs" on target a bit easier. That may be true, but that's more a shooter thing than a gun thing.

Back in the revolver days of American law enforcement, the trend towards the end of the revolver era favored the heavy barrel. Some of that was marketing because the heavy barrel was perceived to more accurate (it may be easier to shoot well but it's not inherently more accurate).
    I will say that I'm grateful that S&W produced both types.

Boolit Master

I see no difference in the heavy barrels vs. the light barrels of the Model 10. In addition the "medium barrel" of a Model 15 or 67 makes no difference either to me in my shooting/loading experiences.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    I agree there is no difference in the inherent accuracy of pencil barrels v. heavy barrels.
    There is a difference in the overall weight of the gun.

While that difference may seem trivial when handling the guns side by side, it's the end user that may feel the difference is important.

Some shooters prefer the extra muzzle forward weight and feel it helps to steady the gun. Some shooters feel the heavy barrel helps to recover the gun in recoil between shots (this may have some merit in magnums loads).
    Some users prefer the reduced weight of a pencil barrel for a gun that is carried a lot and shot a little.

I hold no strong preference for either style and I think both have their place. I do feel that when seeking to reduce weight, the pencil barrel has an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Murf 205 Looks just like the two I have . But my 10 is well used by me.
    I know that it is probably a super shooter but I just can't bring my self to shoot it. I have a well used K-38 pre 14 when the itch occurs to drive tacks. A friend of mine sold it to me for a gift of a price on the premise that I was not was going to sell it to just make a few $. My grandson might decide to shoot it and that's ok but for me they are pieces of art. Especially when you look at the polish and blue of the new guns with that hole in the side and I have a couple of those that work great.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a model 10 no dash that has gone everywhere with ne for 22 years. It's loaded with with 170 gr Keith over 5.0 grs Unique. Shoots to point of aim and has dispatched numerous yard varmints. My youngest son still remembers the time were fishing and he hung his bait on a limb up in a tree (He was 11 - don't laugh, everbody goes 'tree fishing' every now and then). Out comes the model 10 and off goes the limb. Wish I could still see like I could back then.

My model 10 was a police trade from the early 90's. With my constant carry since '98 it doesn't look real pretty any more, but it's the one gun I will never part with.

Boolit Master
    After reading this thread, and adding my posts. I got a little curious and did some research on my serial number. It seems, according to everything I found, my model 10 was manufactured in 1968! And like I said in my earlier posts it’s a dream to shoot and accurate as all heck. Pretty darn good for a 52 year old, $200, police trade in. I only wish I knew it’s history. How many hands is passed through etc. if it could talk I bet you there’s one or two interesting stories to be told!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

They are truly superlative!

I might disagree with one thing though; I would say Colt was the dominant police service revolver (Official Police, Police Positive, etc.) up through 1950 or so, with S&W being a close second. Then the Smith gradually overtook Colt. There are lots of reasons this happened, and they have thoroughly discussed elsewhere. You can even see this trend in TV and movies from the 50's vs. 60s.

Just an observation, not meaning to start a debate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Might want to look at the number sold.

Boolit Buddy

My thanks to all for your kind observations and comments. It is a joy to see that so many shooters still appreciate these fine old revolvers!

Banned

ive had 10s and 64s. Good guns but make mine a 15 with a good set of sights on it. My fixed sighted smiths have all gone down the road. Only one ive ever missed even a tiny bit is my 58. It was the most accurate 41 mag ive ever owned. so much so I could live without the adjustable sights. But a 38? No way. I might go out 3 different times in a week with different loads with different bullets to play with in a 38 and don't want to get pinned down with a one trick pony.

There are undoubtedly some out there but I have never shot a fixed sight K frame Smith that would not put the rounds in at least the 9 ring of a B27 silhouette at 10 yards with any ammunition available.
    That is what it was designed for. It was never intended as a target revolver.
    Last edited by tazman; 08-29-2020 at 10:33 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    There are undoubtedly some out there but I have never shot a fixed sight K frame Smith that would not put the rounds in at least the 9 ring of a B27 silhouette at 10 yards with any ammunition available.
    That is what it was designed for. It was never intended as a target revolver.
    I've never seen one in serviceable condition which would not shoot a 6-shot, 3-inch mean diagonal held off sandbags at 25 yards with ordinary service-grade 158-grain lead ammunition. Even the two-inchers!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    It was never intended as a target revolver.
    Nope it wasn't and theres better guns for service work today. Im not trying to rain on anyones parade. Like I said there good guns but pretty much a one trick pony set up for factory 158s. 15 will do all that and ALOT more. You can shoot 2.5 grains of bullseye and a wad cutter today and factory 158s tommarow and plus p 125s the next. Same reason I got rid of my 58. You not only have to do load development but have a narrow window as to bullet weights and speed that will hit poa at 25 yards. 10 yards and I can do that with a lcp or probably a rock. 9 ring of a b27 at 10 yards isn't what I look for 10 ring at 25 is when I say I have a good gun in my hand. Shoot a ppc match (practical police competition is what it stands for) and if you have more then 5 in the 9 ring your going home without a trophy. Many times you need a perfect score. now that said the best ppc guns in the country are built on 10s. But they have fantastic sights not a round blade and a notch.

Boolit Master
    You guys make me want a model 10 , I can't believe I have never had one.
    I probably need counseling or something .

When I became a LEO in 1969 I wanted a Colt, but they were more money so I settled for a Model 10. Carried it for 21 years and it never skipped a beat.

In 1990 we transitioned to Glocks, and I sold my revolvers. Carried a Glock for another 19 years, then retired, took my G26 with me.

Been out now 11 years and last year decided to try a revolver again. Picked up a police turn in S&W model 65, stainless .357, a Model 10 on steroids.

I forgot how nice those old K frame S&W's were, have to say it's now my favorite handgun.

Boolit Master

I just went to a gun show today. The same dealer that I got mine from still has a couple more Model 10s, still $230 each. If I didn’t already have two I’d be tempted.
    Last edited by fatelk; 08-30-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I just went to a gun show today. The same dealer that I got mine from still has a couple more Model 10s, still $230 each. If I didn’t already have two I’d be tempted.
    at that price id have bought them all.

Banned
    I'm a fan of fixed sights and even go out of my way to sometimes seek out fixed sighted models over adjustable sights.

I will grudgingly admit that as I get older, the flat rear blade of some adjustable sights is a little easier for my eyes.

Many years ago an old shooter gave me a little bit of wisdom that stuck with me: Adjustable sights allow you to move the group around the target but they don't make that group any smaller. I've watched more than one poor shooter attempt to "fix" their large group with a small screwdriver instead of "fixing" what the real problem was.

If you routinely shoot different loads, there could be some advantage to having adjustable sights.

Most of the good shooters I've run across will adjust their sights to center a group with a particular load and then, never touch the sights again. In fact, I think if they could somehow weld the sights in place, they would.

The first handgun I bought was a S&W model 64-2. It was P&Red, 2.5" barrel, which I didn't know at the time is just long enough for it to have a full-length ejector rod (for 38 special) and shroud, two desirable features.

Bought it for $250 in 2008. It went with me on my honeymoon and many other places. Was accurate and easy to shoot with basically any half-brain handload I put in there or factory ammo. Spent a fair amount of time in my wife's purse, too. Quite a few Lee "trash can" 148 grain wadcutters rolled in LLA pushed by 3.1 grains of Tightgroup went through that thing. Still one of the most universaly accurate loads that I have found, if not the most, as that load shoots well in everything from my Marlin to my 19s to 686s to my brother in laws Blackhawk to my father in laws Model 28.

And later I sold it by a dumpster near a Taco Bell to get money to buy 9mm auto pistol. One of the stupidest things I've done in my life, ranking up there with spray-painting my eyes shut.

I later bought a 4" S&W 19-3 (but not a "combat magnum" it had a target trigger and hammer on it). It is one of my favorite handguns and I think one of the most logical first revolver choices.

There is a reason why the S&W K frame is the most popular handgun of all time, selling over 10 million units over its 120+ year production run.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 08-31-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm a fan of fixed sights and even go out of my way to sometimes seek out fixed sighted models over adjustable sights.

I will grudgingly admit that as I get older, the flat rear blade of some adjustable sights is a little easier for my eyes.

Many years ago an old shooter gave me a little bit of wisdom that stuck with me: Adjustable sights allow you to move the group around the target but they don't make that group any smaller. I've watched more than one poor shooter attempt to "fix" their large group with a small screwdriver instead of "fixing" what the real problem was.

If you routinely shoot different loads, there could be some advantage to having adjustable sights.

Most of the good shooters I've run across will adjust their sights to center a group with a particular load and then, never touch the sights again. In fact, I think if they could somehow weld the sights in place, they would.
    most of the SHOOTERs I know shoot the snot out of there guns and half the fun is searching for that right bullet and load. I too used to love the fix sighted guns. Especially the vaqueros. So much so i had two 500 linebaughs built on them and a 45 colt. That said every one of those 3 had custom drift adjustable flat blade front sight. Today my eyes are tired and nothing is as good as a square notch adjustable rear and a flat blade front narrow enough to let me see light on both sides when lined up with the rear. I guess i dont understand the weld the sight thing. Just as likely to bend a front blade if not more so if you dropped your gun then a good rear ajustable sight. Look at something like a clark ppc gun. They not only have adjustable sights to experiement with to find a good load but have sights set up so you can quickly change from 10 to 15 to 20 yards during the shoot. Dont see to many fixed sighted round front blade handguns in the hands of comp shooters or even hunters. I think MOST GOOD SHOOTERS would hands down agree with what i said. Even in the later days of police revolvers it was rare to see a fixed sighted service gun. Most used a 19. A good indication is that you an still buy a 19 but its pretty tough to find a fixed sighted DA revolver unless it is a snubby. Nostalgia is a good thing. Im old school myself but not to the point that its the main determination as to what i buy. Practicality rules there. A 10 wont do one thing that a 15 wont do better. Now if you ask me what the best darned 6 gun ever made was and it would be a tough choice but in the end id have to say a 15 would win. It sure is the finest 38 special that was ever produced. A 10 wouldnt even make it into my top 20 list. Not that its not a good gun. Its just that im not the type to go to the store and buy the exact same box of round nose or wadcutters for my 10 and shoot a box every year. Im the type that 15s have seen probably a 100 different loads and goes to the range with a coffee can full of 38s. Like most GOOD shooters do. I can grab any can of 38s in the loading room and with a couple clicks of the sights be dead on for the day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast