Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ode to the S&W Model 10/

Boolit Master

A 4'' K frame is hard to beat without spending a lot of money.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grips6-resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	266581

+1 for the model 10
    (mine is a french police turn-in 10-6)
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Was there a change in the boolit weight they were sighted in for at some point? I have a couple of the Spanish trade ins that shoot high with 150 grain wadcutters or 158 grain rnfp. They both shoot to sights with lee 125 grn. rnfps.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

That would perfect for someone wanting to use WWB or the cheaper UMC Remington .38spl+P 125gr sjhp sold on promotional sale during normal times..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post

Name:	grips6-resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	266581

+1 for the model 10
    (mine is a french police turn-in 10-6)
    Now there's a nice looking pair of pistolas! I like the grips on the 1911-- hard to see the logo, but looks like US Army insignia?

About Model 10s, and the preceding M&P models, I think now's definitely the time to get one (or more!) with all the police trade-ins on the market. I've always favored the pencil barrel profile myself, but when you get a Mod. 15 you automatically get the heavier barrel profile.

Name:	IM006164.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	266582

Boolit Master

Just a few months ago I picked up a pair of Spanish police surplus revolvers, $230 each. Externally they weren't very pretty, but mechanically perfect.

Boolit Master

Good snag.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_9329[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	266592

$460 for the pair: I figured I couldn't pass that up.

I would have gone for that deal! Maybe twice!

Boolit Master

It was a small, gun show/garage FFL. He had about eight of them, as I recall. I wished I could have bought more than I did, but picked the ones I liked best. I just got done loading about 5,000 rounds of cast and powder coated .38 Special ammo. My 14yo son helps me burn through a couple hundred every time we get to the range. He does prefer the old Model 66, though. He's laid claim to that gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That boolit is very similar to the Lyman 358432. I get great results with it.
    3.5 grains of Bullseye for full power and 3.0 grains of Bullseye for light target work.
    This boolit will do everything you need from a 38 Special.

I have been waiting to find a good Model 10 around here. It is really the only K frame S&W I want that I don't already have.
    Agree the Lyman 358432 160 gr. (discontinued) and NOE's #360-160-WC PB (360432) are accuracy winners . In all my fixed sighted J and K framed S&W's there 160 grain weights shoot to the fixed sights with a six-o'clock hold . Being cast you can drive them a target velocities or up to +P ...
    The flat point hits hard . 2.7 grains of Bullseye is my target load in model 64 with 4" Heavy Barrel .
    5.0 grains of Unique works for a standard velocity load .
    If you have 38 special, do yourself a favor ... try this bullet .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    A S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special, regardless of the configuration, is an iconic handgun.
    I can't recall a time during my adult life that I didn't have some type of K-frame chambered in 38 Special and frequently that role was filed by a Model 10.
    It really was, and remains, an incredibly useful tool.

If there is such a thing as a "do it all" handgun, the 4" Model 10 is probably it.

Boolit Master
    A 4" and 6" live here, outsides not perfect but flawless run. As stated, just something about them!

Attachment 266601Attachment 266602

You just cant beat a K frame 38 for fun shooting. I bought the stainless DAO new for $300 because the guy selling it said nobody wanted a gun that somebody had bob'd the hammer on. Ha-ah. It shoots anything you stuff in it into a very small place at 25 yds. The pencil barrel mod 10 is unfired and (shame, shame on me) but it is a safe queen.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Murf 205 Looks just like the two I have . But my 10 is well used by me.

I really like the 4” pencil barrel, but once owned a 5” that I really miss. I also had a 6” for a short while. I’m not that big on the heavy barrels, but nowadays I’d jump on one for sure.

Boolit Master

I have a 10-5 6" bbl.
    Bought from a retired LEO 40+yrs ago.
    Shoots to POI w/ 150gr SWC over 3.0grs of Bullseye.
    A Victory Model 5" in .38Smith & wesson too. 195gr RN over 1.5grs Bullseye.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    About 4 months ago I had a long talk with my wife about her putting in some shooting time. Don’t misunderstand she’s far guns before Plenty of times. She use to go dear hunting with her dad. I’ve had her Shooting from time to time. But she’s never really shown any interest in owning or shooting a handgun. Well I decided it’s time. I’m not exactly a spring chicken anymore and I’d like to know she’s at least capable if not proficient with a handgun. Now I’ve always believed that if someone is not willing to put in the time with a semi auto, know how to clear the gun, how to strip it down, what to do if you have a failure to fire, etc. You should not have a semi auto. A wheel gun is the way to go. I decided a 38 was the way to go. Having a limited fixed income I certainly don’t have the money to go out and buy a new name brand 38 special. I actually did quite a bit of searching and research and decided on a rock island arms M 200. Not the prettiest gun in the world but everything I found claimed it was extremely reliable. And very reasonably priced. The problem was I couldn’t seem to find one. What I did find in a little pawn shop/gun store in Kentucky, is the police turn in Smith and Wesson model 10! For the unbelievable price of $230!! Needless to say I jumped on it! It has quickly become my favorite gun to shoot! It’s only the second Smith and Wesson I’ve ever owned. I’ve always been a Ruger guy with the GP 100 being my favorite. This model has quickly changed my mind !
    I quickly picked up several moles ranging from a Lee 158 grain round nose bullet. A Lyman 358477, a Lyman 35891 wadcutter, a 358495 wadcutter, and the mold I picked up specifically with my wife in mind. A Lyman 358345 115 grain semi wadcutter that I’ve worked down a load of 3.4 grns of sr7625.
    I got a tell ya, what a hoot to shoot! I’m talking about same hole accuracy with the recoil of a 22lr! Perfect for teaching a relative newbie to shoot. You got to see the looks and hear the comments I get at the range when I put six holes in the Left eye socket on a silhouette target. I even had one fell asked me what kind a 22 that was? he wasn’t familiar with it. I just kind of smile and say it’s a 38 special. I then load it up with some of those 35847 150 grain semi wadcutters loaded over 4.9 grns of sr4756 and pop 6 more shots in the right eye socket On the same silhouette target !
    Probably just my warped sense of humor but I thoroughly enjoy seeing a young Tacticool looking guy, with his $600 Glock, that has $1000 worth of add-ons on it, and he that can’t hold 12 inch groups at 7 yards. Standing there with his mouth wide-open, hhis chin Practically touching the ground, and his eyes as wide as pie plates. Staring at this old dude with his 40-year-old wheel gun, As I calmly put six shots in the same hole with what sounds like a 22 and then switch to a heavier load and put another six shots in the same hole!
    Yes I really really love my S&W model 10!
    Anyone know where I can find a 357 magnum and 38 snobby? LOL
    Last edited by poppy42; 08-22-2020 at 12:45 AM. Reason: I hate auto correct!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I actually did quite a bit of searching and research and decided on a rock island arms M 200. Not the prettiest gun in the world but everything I found claimed it was extremely reliable. And very reasonably priced. The problem was I couldn’t seem to find one. What I did find in a little pawn shop/gun store in Kentucky, is the police turn in Smith and Wesson model 10! For the unbelievable price of $230!! Needless to say I jumped on it! It has quickly become my favorite gun to shoot!
    It's funny, just a couple months before I found my pair of police-surplus Model 10s, I bought a Rock Island M200, $200 brand new. I was quite happy with it, shoots great, reliable and accurate, good gun for the money! Then I happened upon these Model 10s, and compared them side by side. The S&W is just an old cop gun, but compared to the Rock Island it's a Cadillac compared to a Ford. I'll take a 40 year old, used Smith over a brand new, inexpensive copy any day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    It's funny, just a couple months before I found my pair of police-surplus Model 10s, I bought a Rock Island M200, $200 brand new. I was quite happy with it, shoots great, reliable and accurate, good gun for the money! Then I happened upon these Model 10s, and compared them side by side. The S&W is just an old cop gun, but compared to the Rock Island it's a Cadillac compared to a Ford. I'll take a 40 year old, used Smith over a brand new, inexpensive copy any day.
    like I said the m200 Sure ain’t a pretty gun. And I’m with you I would’ve settled for the M 200 but I sure am glad I couldn’t find one and found that model 10 instead!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast