MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you accomplished? What will be your legacy on Earth?

Boolit Master

What have you accomplished? What will be your legacy on Earth?

Years ago about the time the Space Shuttle Program was shutdown one of my co-workers talked to me about his feelings that his legacy was not as great as he had hoped. He was a husband, father, never divorced, very straight but had climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and mountains in Tibet and is a champion board game player. He also made contributions to the success of the Space Shuttle Program. A God fearing believer in Jesus but he still felt like he should have accomplished more. I don't think he ever did much of anything personally to help someone down on their luck.

What trigger me to write this post is something someone posted here.

"I figger libs live by virtue signaling, not what they accomplish. Conservatives give to functioning charities, Liberals give to radical politicians"

I think the member "figgers" wrong. Yes, many rich "libs" live by virtue signaling but many more "libs" walk the talk. If a conservative gives to a functioning charity, it is probably a liberal on the other end delivering services and doing the real work of making that charity make a difference.

I had a liberal Christian dentist who took his vacation every year in Belize. He and his crew brought cases of sneakers and clothes to the poor people in Belize and the fixed poor peoples teeth while on vacation.

Americorps

https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps

I don't know if these people performing national service are liberal or conservative and it does not matter. What matters is they make a difference.

Peace Corps, same deal but you can bet most of them are "libs"

What is your legacy?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Our own legacy is what we make of it, my legacy is believing in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,hard work, loving one woman, and still lusting for her after 23 years of marriage, being the best father I know how to a 14 yr old son that we are raising in a very difficult time, especially in California. I have helped a lot of people along my journey, I am only 44 yrs old. Lately everyone has their hand out in the areas I’m working in and around. God has a plan for all of us, some more intricate than others, it’s up to us to recognize what Gods gift to you is, then make it your legacy.

Boolit Master

My Legacy is, What I was on the earth is going to a hole in the ground and Who I am on Earth is going to glory.

Boolit Master
    Well done! My good and faithful servant. It's the only legacy I care anything about. All works well be tried in a fire and most will be burned like chaff and straw!

Banned
    Why would your accomplishments be defined by what organized charity you contributed to?

Why does it need to be a charity at all?

Boolit Master
    3 grandsons who look just like me. now that's immortality.

Boolit Master

So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
    Reminds me of the "Blue haired old ladies" that always remind the preacher how much money they have given to the church. They also never understand why the 5 dollars from the guy who now has to figure out where his next meal is coming from means so much more to that preacher.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Reminds me of the "Blue haired old ladies" that always remind the preacher how much money they have given to the church. They also never understand why the 5 dollars from the guy who now has to figure out where his next meal is coming from means so much more to that preacher.
    Jesus' remarks about the "widow's mites" were criticism of the pharisees who demanded and accepted gifts that would harm the giver. Nowhere in all of Scripture does God demand support of religious leaders or the poor if it will take necessary nourishment out of the mouth of an improvised giver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Jesus' remarks about the "widow's mites" were criticism of the pharisees who demanded and accepted gifts that would harm the giver. Nowhere in all of Scripture does God demand support of religious leaders or the poor if it will take necessary nourishment out of the mouth of an improvised giver.
    True, but the Rich give to get something back and people with a lower means give because they just want to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    True, but the Rich give to get something back and people with a lower means give because they just want to.
    That's a pretty broad statement and can obviously not be true in 100% of the cases.

How many people in churches are shamed into giving; ever hear a sermon on tithing? Many of their gifts are not because they want to give them.

On the other hand, there are rich people who truly want to help others and further God's work. One example from the Bible is the family of Mary, Martha and Lazarus that supported Jesus and his disciples during his ministry. They loved Jesus and gave freely.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I can nudge this thread back on track. I was not supposed to be only about charity. Your legacy could be something you actually got paid for. A beautiful work of art. An inspirational book. A trail in the woods. A life saving medicine. It could be anything you did that makes the world a better place. Think hard because your legacy could be you took and did not give. The world might be better off if you had never been born.

Tim

Banned
    Maybe I can expose this thread for what it really is, A big Guilt Trip.

Lots of people live good lives, die and any legacy they established is known to but a few.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post

Lots of people live good lives, die and any legacy they established is known to but a few.
    God will know and that is all that matters.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

To answer the question - I have done absolutely nothing of consequence. Everything is God doing through me - and that is His choice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    dtknowles has written on more than one occasion that he hopes to get Christians to start "walking the walk" instead of merely holding a belief. Of course this is the same thing Paul and James wanted. However, faith in Jesus Christ and his Father were an absolute must for the early Church leaders. Not so with dtknowles who has also said he can work his way to salvation by doing good works (and restitution for the the wrong he has done in life; which will work as long as others forgive him).

So these types of threads are either an attempt to motivate others or a dig at Christians who he sees as not living up to his standards.

Now I will admit, some of the worst people I have ever worked with were Christians. Not everyone is at the same level of sanctification and many will go to their eternal destiny as a "baby Christian." Fortunately for everyone, God is exceedingly generous toward his people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What trigger me to write this post is something someone posted here.

"I figger libs live by virtue signaling, not what they accomplish. Conservatives give to functioning charities, Liberals give to radical politicians"

I think the member "figgers" wrong. Yes, many rich "libs" live by virtue signaling but many more "libs" walk the talk. If a conservative gives to a functioning charity, it is probably a liberal on the other end delivering services and doing the real work of making that charity make a difference.
    Goodness, that observation "triggers" you? And you truly believe Libs are the ones that make charity things "work"? Well, I'll have to get back to you about that one.

What is your legacy?
    Well, since what we say here is anonymous, I'm not really blowing my own horn can feel safe giving you a little of my "legacy":

* I spent some 20 years of (unpaid) teaching Am. Red Cross programs in First Aid, CPR, Aquatic Lifesaving. (I also served 2 1/2 years as a local ARC Chapter chairman). Those tasks took a LOT of my "free" time.

* When I was younger, tuffer and dummer, I spent 9 years as a volunteer Fire/Rescue EMT team member in the Smoky Mountains of N.C. (mostly patching up the remains of auto accidents); But it included some (very) dangerous SCUBA searching for aquatic casualties (I found two drowning victims); long, steep mountain searches and rescue of lost and injured folk (some of it on rock faces several hundreds of feet above a nice landing place and I once dove in the white water river in "Deliverance"). I've spent a few long, thunder stormy nights in cold, waist deep water finding and getting stranded people (and a few cows) out of flash floods and then provided a couple of families home shelter and food until the waters subsided; I was a Cub Scout pack leader for two years; I've given more than 3 gallons of blood and a good bit of plasma to the ARC (until I had a deadly heart attack and must take medicines that preclude me as a donor).

If you count such things, I was an NRA Instructor for Firearms Safety and Rifle & Pistol Marksmanship in Titusville, FL, for a couple of years.

I was a Sunday School and teen programs teacher for about 8 years.

We've served as foster parents to four children who really needed help; one stayed with us for three years. We've never been financally secure but we didn't get a dime of assistance from anyone for those kids.

I've helped building handicap ramps; repairing handrails, roofs, floors, steps, plumbing and electrical problems for injured, indigent or elderly people who couldn't do it themselves.

I've worked some long, hard days with several ad hoc response teams obtaining, preparing and handling out food for the indigent. And, to get back to you about this, yes, we did have several Liberal "helpers" show up (we can usually spot them by their cars rash of PC bumper stickers). Libs typically come late (at least well after the drugework of setting up is done), they usually grab front line serving jobs (for the local "news" photo ops?), and they tend to disappear as soon as clean-up starts ... but, you're right, I have seen libs participate in "soup kitchens" ... a little, and Libs do talk a great deal about helping. But, down where the hard, unseen labor of helping people actually hits the road ... as a group, libs really aren't worth much; especially in the long haul!

Okay, you asked and that's more than enough about my years of public service legacy; now tell us yours! Do you like to be up front making it all work by bravely handling hot ladles, etc., in soup kitchens?

Boolit Master
    As was once said, the good men do is oft
    interred with their bones, the evil, lives after them.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Wiser men than me have said many more ways , strive only to be a good person and to do good and right , you will be great in many eyes . Only a few will be great and written about , memorialised or make advancements that make them a household name .

A few will know my name in 100 yr , fewer will have some trinket I left behind .
    One can strive to be great but the deeds are only as great as history and progression of those deeds make them . Tesla vs Marconi and Edison as an example . Nobody but a very , very few remember RAdm David Griggs but his one shinning moment of glory was no less impressive than the first shuttle shot and it gave engineers something new to work on for a year or so. He raced a little to but he wasn't a Lyle Shelton figure .

If I'm great in the eyes of my granddaughters and grandson for just long enough that they tell their grand children of some day we shared that's about as great as I expect to be and that's good enough for me .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

What have you accomplished? What will be your legacy on Earth?

I am raising two boys with my wife—in a third-world country where their prospects are poor for early success in life—to be good men: independent, self-actualized and critical thinkers in a Marxist culture in which they will soon find themselves in. I expect they will not be out in the streets with the rest of the idiots demanding more of someone else’s money through our totally corrupt government.
    It’s not easy to raise real men in the USA anymore, but someone has to step up and whip their minds and behinds into shape. And I can do it on top of working six days a week. They are the future. They learn from their father in the present. They will be as prepared as any young man can be when they strike out on their own.
    R/Griff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast