Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Miroku Winchester 1892 Hammer Spring is a ...

Boolit Master

Miroku Winchester 1892 Hammer Spring is a ...

...bear trap! My Miroku '92 has a coil type hammer spring. That sucker is heavy duty! If I have to put it back on, I will likely have to fashion a compression jig. I rekon the stout spring is due to the rebound type hammer, but the stout spring does make levering noticably more resistant than with my old Marlin '94 with reduced power springs. I have not found reduced power springs for the '92 yet, so I am going to attempt use of a stock strength Ruger Black Hawk spring cut to same length as the stocker on my 1892. It may be too weak, maybe not. I will report when I get "a round tuit"

prs

Looking forward to your report.

Does it not have a capture pin hole on the hammer strut? I've never been inside a Japanese 92 but Rossis and Winchesters do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Does it not have a capture pin hole on the hammer strut? I've never been inside a Japanese 92 but Rossis and Winchesters do.

Yes, they do.

But if you are going to change springs, you will need to remove the stock spring and re-compress the new spring to get it on.
    Chill Wills

I have an idea for you for that purpose. I will run it by you later I am busy right now if that's okay.

Alternately, you could order a MS for it from the parts department, then shorten it coil-by-coil until you get what you want with dependable ignition.

If you contact Steve Young (the pre-eminent Model 1892/92 gunsmith in the US), you should be able to both get a MS and/or how many coils would need to be cut off.

www.stevesgunz.com

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

A 1/8” galvanized or -better- brass, pipe nipple of about 6”; custom slotted for pin removal works for me. A tee handle makes it even better to use. Put the hammer in a padded vise of course. Hope that helps.

Boolit Bub
    If going to a lighter hammer spring, have you corrected the Inertial firing pin and rebounding hammer? Those are the reasons for the stronger hammer spring...

Boolit Master
    I installed the Ruger Black Hawk spring that I had cut to match length of OE spring. The gun feels better and I will shoot (attempt to shoot) if it stops raining.

Texas by God, that is a good tried and true idea. In this design, one needs to compress the spring from the trigger end or drill new capture hole, compress deeper, install the rear fixture and capture pin before removing the new one. I hope the reduced power spring is relaible.

Chill Will, your way with new firing pin and such is likely a better solution, but I am going to try this before going off the deep end.

Sc0, I made no mods to the other parts and, if the lighter spring does not bust caps reliably, I will go back with the OE spring.

prs

Boolit Master
    Pietro, that is a good idea.

According to the time posted for my last remark above it was 1:37 EDST and here I am at 2:15 EDST reporting about the range result. Nice to have a steel target set-up out back..

The mag holds 12 rounds and one in the pipe makes 13. I took 26 rounds for two runs. Action is very sweet, but round 11 did not fire due to light strike. All others fired as normal, but had one failure to feed on round 20 (7th of stage 2) not sure if a reduced hammer spring can contribute to a failure to feed or not. I am not competing any more, this was just for fun. I may try to find a extra power Black Hawk spring or contact Pietro's pard for advice and/or parts.

prs

Boolit Master
    Cast Boolits come through again! Found this older post were pioneers have already blazed this trail.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Fix-Tutorial

The article also tells of a neat "why didn't I think of that" trick for compressing the OE bear trap spring.

prs

Boolit Master
    Cast Boolits came through again! Found this older post were pioneers have already blazed this trail.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Fix-Tutorial

The article also tells of a neat "why didn't I think of that" trick for compressing the OE bear trap spring.

prs
    Last edited by prs; 08-15-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Ma po ol'e grammer was bad

Boolit Master
    Although I did not get the "neat trick" for compressing the spring to work, therefore had to use good ole brute force; the nixing of the rebound hammer went well and quickly. I reassembled with the same cut to the OE length of the Winchester. Function seems good, still has the much better action and trigger break. I put cartridges in my pocket to head out to the range and the rain came again before I could close the door behind me. Maybe tomorrow, but I am planning to cast tomorrow.

prs
    Last edited by prs; 08-16-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    Got my bullets cast a while ago, 40# worth! I came in and cooled off, then hit the range with the modified 1892. The safety still works for what that is worth. Half cock would not hold well enough to use, I may deepen the notch one of these days. I enjoyed steel targets at 50 yards, dueling tree, hostage, and some non reaction targets. 100 rounds with no failures to fire, nice firing pin impressions on the primers, no failures to feed ( I must have been short shuck'n the other day). I like it this way.

Rooster