Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imr 4320

Banned

Imr 4320

Has it been discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Has it been discontinued?
    It looks like it. Too bad, it's been a good powder and the only one I used in my 22-250 for years. I used up my last bit a couple of years ago for 30-30 cast loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Too bad. I found it to be excellent in quite a few things. Didn't have data for it, but when I got this 6.5 Creedmoor it seemed about the right stuff for it with 120 grain bullets and it was, amazing accuracy. Interpolated data from the 4064 data I had.

I have two or three pounds of it, and started experimenting with it and the 311466 in my .308 target gun. I seem to be on to something. It was also good with cast deer loads in my .358 and .32 Special.

What's with all the powder discontinuing these days? The industry seems to be introducing new ones, I have my doubts they're gonna perform any better.

Boolit Master
    I am going to repeat rumors here, and that is that extruded single base powders are more expensive to manufacture than ball powders, and that some chemicals used are being legislated out of use. One fellow I know from another forum, said something to the effect that it would surprise him if any extruded powders were made in the near future. Hope he is wrong, but suspect we will see more and more old time powders go away.

Banned

I sure hope IMR 4064 and 4895 stay around.

And I would really miss IMR 3031!

Boolit Master
    And I for one would miss IMR 4350 that's all I use in the 30-06 Frank

Boolit Master
    IMR4320 was either unavailable or discontinued for a couple of years about thirty or so years ago. I started using IMR4064 without regrets. Charge weights of the two powders were pretty close and I found accuracy with IMR4064 loads comparable to those of IMR4320. I never had a need to buy another can of IMR4320.

Banned

I like 4064 a lot and have found it to be about the most versatile rifle powder out there, but I have found 4320 to meter better.

It figures... I just started trying to standardize my rifle loads and settled on 4320. It seemed to fit right in the middle of loads for all my cartridges and I like the short granules. It also seemed to be overlooked by a lot of shooters, so maybe supply would have been better.

Boolit Master

I found IMR 4320 to be a very good powder for the 8x57mm with 170 to 185 grain bullets. With the 150 grainers I liked IMR 4895 better. I also found H335 to be useful. I am not really fond of the ball powders but concede that they are very good powders, just harder to ignite uniformly. my experience anyway, james

Banned

As stated, it burns very close to IMR 4064, so close, load data seems interchangeable in some things.

When I was young and getting started and I read though loading manuals for fun, I compared across the whole spectrum of rifle cartridges and bullet weights, and I was smart enough to know one powder wasn't going to be ideal for everything, but IMR4064 came closer than anything else. A bit slow for .223, a bit fast for .30-06, but just about perfect for anything in between and workable on both ends.

I got about four or five pounds of 4320 a few years back, still have about half of it. It's been good stuff in a lot of things including cast loads. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Boolit Mold
    Hmm I didn't know this. My local store still had a good bit of it last week. maybe I will go back over and get some before it's gone. I've used it a good bit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead View Post
    Hmm I didn't know this. My local store still had a good bit of it last week. maybe I will go back over and get some before it's gone. I've used it a good bit.
    I was just in a LGS today, not quite local, I guess. Anyway, they still had three or four pounds of it on the shelf. Gotta decide if it's worth buying a bunch of it or better to find something else.

Boolit Buddy
    Just checked the IMR website and it was not listed. You can call them from what I've heard and they are responsive. Seems there are so many niche powders some of the tried and true are being dropped. Now- a-days my choice is for a broader powder that services several cartridges until things settle down. Two of my rifles shoot the IMR powder better than I can shoot so they will be used. IMR's seem to be on the shelves more often than the ball powders in my observations over the years.

Boolit Master
    It should be slower than 4064. I use it in a 6.5 wildcat for which no data exist. Got to it via the powley computer. So what would be equivalent?

Varget is a titch faster and Win 748 is a titch slower. It's in good company. I feel better since I checked the burn rates.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Varget is a titch faster and Win 748 is a titch slower. It's in good company. I feel better since I checked the burn rates.

I've never used either. Might oughta get a pound of 748 and give it a try.

I bought my first pound of 748 two years ago for 5.56 loads but it really shines with cast in 30-30. Likewise I tried Varget in 30-06 when it was new and I’ve kept it around because it works in everything it seems.

Banned

I picked up a pound of it today, last one they had and it was marked down. I may start looking around for more new old stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast