Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast boolits for 7-30 waters in Lever Actions?

Boolit Buddy

Cast boolits for 7-30 waters in Lever Actions?

I am nowhere near actually doing this but I want to examine the feasibility of an idea. I would love to have a converted Marlin 336 in 7-30 waters. The Federal and now Hornady j-word sporting factory loads would suffice for any possible hunting applications. However, if I went through the expense and trouble of getting the conversion done, I would want a cast boolit practice load.

I was on the Accurate website and I saw a few 7mm 120 to 125 grain flat point moulds. My question is, is such an idea feasible? I would not be looking to try and match j-word velocity. I would want a boolit of similar weight to the factory loads. Maybe 2000-2300 fps. Would a gas check be necessay here? Has anyone ever experimented with cast boolits in this caliber?

Thanks,

Divil

Boolit Master

Yes, a gas check is required. As far as boolit is concerned a scale model of a good 30-30 bullet.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Why?

Look at the Hornady FTX bullets for your .30/30 and compare ballistics. Plus there are many good cast bullets for the .30/30. Look at the work Gibson did with the FTX and the new powder from Hodgdon for getting the most out of the .30/30.

I understand the desire to scratch an itch even if it will cost $500 by the time you do the conversion, buy dies and a mold. But there is a reason the round is not offered after the fad fizzled.

Not having a 7mm pointy bullet that works in a lever action negates most of increase in velocity over the .30/30 when compared to the FTX bullets. The 7/30 makes more sense in a single shot or bolt gun IMO.
    Don Verna

Banned
    140gr saeco fn gc or the 130gr lee soup can.

i use the 140gr saeco fn gc in my 7x57 and my dad's 14" contender 7x30 waters.
    Last edited by todd9.3x57; 12-28-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: correct weight on saeco

Moderator Emeritus
    I really like this bullet in my 7-30 Waters in a Contender pistol. It is very accurate and with the flat point would work well for hunting. I don’t know if it will feed in a lever action though.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...288-135-fn-f1/

Boolit Buddy

Garandsrus: the NOE mould looks promising if it could be successfully seated in a C.O.A.L. that would feed reliably and have sufficient rigidity to withstand the feeding action and life in the magazine tube.

Boolit Buddy

Todd- I will have to give the Lee Mould a closer look.
    Rick - Gas check required is now duly noted.
    Dverna- I am looking to scratch an itch like you said, logic is a secondary consideration. However, the j-word factory loadings should utilize the ballistic efficiency of the 7-30 cartridge enough for my needs. I just want an adequate plinking 7-30 cast boolit loading. If I need a speedier 7mm, I will take possession of a Browning AB3 in 7mm-08 later on this winter. .

Moderator Emeritus

Saeco designed a 7 mm 140 gr bullet for the 7/30. https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...-bullet-moulds Look at bullet #281.
    I have a 23" Contender bbl and shoot the 137 gr NOE Garandsrus posted about and the 150 Noe Hunter.
    If I made a lever 7/30 i would consider a 2 shot with the 120 or 130 gr jacketed for long range work. Put one in the chamber and one in the tube for antelope. You should be good for 300 + yard shots. If I lived in the midwest, I would stick to 30-30 or go with a single shot contender.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I shoot cast in my 14" T/C and the 7-30 does well with cast . I shoot the std 130 Lee , 150 NOE , 160 Lyman Silhouette in my barrel and all 3 shoot great . I would think any of the 3 listed above should cycle through your Marlin's action . If you go down this road please let us know how it works out , The next gun on my list is a 94 in 7-30 Waters . I forgot to mention that jacketed loads are sub MOA all day long if do my part .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28