RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal engraving with a Dremel Tool

Got it, back to chisels and a hand chaser hammer.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen it done, and it looked like the Dremel had a mind of its own. It has to be the quickest way to destroy something.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to use the words Dremel and engraving in the same sentence!

Boy you guys are really letting me have it !
    Like I said sometimes bad thoughts happen with lose of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Boy you guys are really letting me have it !
    Friends don't let friends chop and hack around on a rifle with a Dremel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Some folks just are blessed with artistic ability. I had a friend like that - anything he did with a Dremel turned out well. He did a fantastic job engraving a Uberti Colt Walker clone with a Dremel and when he got done, it was the most beautiful Baby Dragoon that you ever saw.

Boolit Master
    A man has to know his limitations.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    I sure hope you don't let all that closed mindedness stop you.

how long ago was it the "idea" of powder coating boolits was a "bad idea" ? NO ! its not for everybody, but neither is ________ (a million other things)
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

There are power gravers out there expensive. I seem to remember an ad for an dremil attachment for engraving in one of the gun mags years ago. Had a friend that did window etchings on auto safety glass with one of those engraver pencils.

the big problem with the dremil tools is the speed at 20,000 rpm they arnt fast enough for the small cutters. They grab and walk follow wood grain. Try a pencil grinder at 80,000 rpm with the same 1/8" cutter and its much better. Takes a light skilled touch but it dosnt fight you like the dremil. I also have a dotco air grinder thats 100,000 rpm and its really easy to control and use especially with smaller than 1/8" cutters. But dont put a mounted stone in it.

Boolit Grand Master

Enough talent makes up in part for lack of professional tooling. Look at the M1895 Winchester that Charles Russel did with a Pocket Knife, and think what he could have done with a dremel. Like any tool a dremel has it's place and its uses/ The biggest problem with a dremel is for most it goes too fast and takes too much meat off. I use one al the time with a=carbide dental bits to take broken screws or shattered case hardened nipples out of their holes. This can save you when you break a tap off in a blind hole. BUT it does take a steady hand and patience.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Most would have to take a 2nd mortgage to buy one of those things! WOW. Does great work but those are truly professional tools you are investing in there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Most would have to take a 2nd mortgage to buy one of those things! WOW. Does great work but those are truly professional tools you are investing in there.
    A commercial vise for use with the engraver goes around a grand all by itself. And you pretty much need one of those, too. I might have been able to use the fancy engraver years ago, but my hands are getting shaky now, and I don't think it would work well enough to make up for my shakiness. Got plans for something that should be a good approximation of the vise, but too late to do me good.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The vise is easy to make if you have milling machines and lathes like I do. The actual tool would be kinda a bugger to make in my shop.

Not worth my time to make one or the $$ that guy charges to buy a commercial one. I thought maby $400-500 would cover it. But OMG, he is VERY proud of his little engraving tools!

banger

Banned
    I have a Dremel in my hand a lot. Made several videos of using them. But I wouldn't even try to engrave my initials in a hammer with one. Does that answer the question?

Boolit Buddy
    One more thing....did you know that every known "Dremel Master" is named Bubba? FYI

You guys are letting me have it with both barrels!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote " a min. of 50 ft. between a Dremel & guns ,, " now I got to build a bigger shop. ( man it's always somp'n ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Dremel as an engraving tool bad juju,find a pattern and bring it and the object you want engraved to someone who has a laser set up. I used a similar tool for marking parts when I was working for a major jet engine maker,the best way to describe the out come is someone with a case of the DTs and Parkinson's trying to write during an earthquake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Dremel as an engraving tool bad juju,find a pattern and bring it and the object you want engraved to someone who has a laser set up. I used a similar tool for marking parts when I was working for a major jet engine maker,the best way to describe the out come is someone with a case of the DTs and Parkinson's trying to write during an earthquake.
    Hey I lived in Lynn for a while! "You never come out the way you went in" I trust you know the rest of the saying. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast