Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal engraving with a Dremel Tool

Metal engraving with a Dremel Tool

Has anyone tried engraving a rifle (metal) using a Dremel Tool?

Banned

Boy I'd like to see it if they did! Can you say skating?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Can you say skating?
    No, but I can say scrap metal!
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    As stated, definitely a bad idea. Rotary tool will make a mess of it. If you are just curious, try it on a pipe nipple.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    No, but I can say scrap metal!
    That would pretty much agree with my simple experiments with the couple of real Dremels, a Wen, and a couple of HF semi-clones I've tried. They're great for polishing and sanding and grinding. To try to engrave something again, I'd want to hook up CNC equipment to drive it. Sure ain't gonna happen if I'm holding it in my hand.

I goggled "Dremel tool metal engraving", clicked on "images", then scrolled down to get this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drem...h=620&biw=1366

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A distance of fifty feet minimum should always be maintained between a gun and a Dremel tool.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Some look good on the google images. If one has good steady hands and can write real clear. And is artistic. I think that will be helpful. I would practice on some scrap metal 1st.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Guess it was a bad idea. That is what happens when I can not sleep at nights

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Bad idea. VERY BAD IDEA. Dremel tools have a VERY limited use, but never engraving! Even with dead steady hands (which I have), the tool bit would skate all over the surface and make a real mess.

If the Dremel was held VERY RIGID in a good metal panto-graph, you might have some success. But I would not count on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-27106...82392628&psc=1

Proxxon is leaps and bounds better than any Dremel garbage. I have several of their tools and they are precision!

But engraving.............that is why I have hand gravers!

bangerjim

Yikes....just the thought makes me cringe.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    a joke, right?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    a joke, right?
    Actually - no. I f you had that Proxxon system above and the right tracing patterns for the tip, you could actually do some decent engraving. The trick is the master patterns you would have to make! But the Proxxon pantograph system is fairly rigid and can do some engraving, but not the type you guys are probably thinking of on guns. Depending on the size, you could actually copy the original engraving/carving on a gun/stock to another one! That is what a pantograph is used for in drafting or engraving, allowing you to scale up and down from the original pattern.

PLEASE DON'T!
    Look for a local LASER engraver. There are several in your area. They need a Fiber laser, not CO2 and ask if they can engrave INTO the metal.
    $20 or $30 for caliber or similar engraving..... no dremel
    I'd do it for you, but shipping ain't cheap any more.

I have used a dremel tool with a carbide burr to engrave the caliber on the underlug of a handi rifle barrel that I built from a shotgun barrel with a rifle barrel liner. The barrel is parkerized and you can only see where I engraved it when the barrel is removed from the receiver and it looks pretty good to me.
    My eyesight is bad enough that I cannot see most small stampings on barrels without reading glasses so I had enough room to engrave 357 Maximum in large letters and can tell what I have easily.
    I would post a photo but to find the gun and remove the forend a take a photo would take more time than I have right now so you will have to take my word for it.

Jedman

I can’t do steel with Dremil . Softer metals brass and aluminum it does fair job. I have extensive collection of molds for fishing lures & tackle. They are cast aluminum, I engraved a number, code and my name in each one. Did a fine job and I can pull out the one I want without sorting through them. Attachment 266177

Saw this on flea bay what do you think? ( Pneumatic Engraving Machine Double Ended Impact Graver Jewelry Engraver DE)

Boolit Grand Master
    It is no different than those electro-magnetic vibro-engraver tip tools that have been around for decades. I have one and it just vibrates a carbide tip at 60 Hz and digs into metal. OK for putting ID data on things, but not a very pretty sight. That thing just runs on a little air pump internally that moves a piston in the hand piece in and out.

I really do not think that is what you are looking for!

I put it in the category of: It can be done, but not by me.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If you want to do engraving, you could try acid etching instead. You cover the (warm) part with a thin layer of beeswax. When the part has cooled you "draw" in the soft wax with a pointed stick of hardwood or plastic. Then use a mixture of nitric acid and sulphuric acid, known as aqua regia, to etch the part where the steel has been laid bare. With a little practice you can make som pretty decent patterns - and you can keep redoing the pattern until you're satisfied before using the acid. Not so with the Dremel tool! You better have a steady hand as you only get one shot at it...

Do a google search for "steel acid etching"to see some nice examples.
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast