Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C Cherokee peep sight

Boolit Master

T/C Cherokee peep sight

I know these from T/C are as common as chicken lips and if you find one it costs more than the gun did. Have any of you found a suitable substitute from another sight, maybe with slight alterations? I was able to get back to shooting my Hawken because I found a new old stock peep for it that had been sitting in a store probably since the '80s. Now I'm in business, no such luck with the Cherokee.

I've had good luck making my own.

Many folks are forced to install the fugly (IMO) Lyman 57GPR peep sight.

https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog...oduct_id=25598

If chosen, the gun's tang would most likely need to be D/T'd to match the sight base.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    T-bird - A few years ago, I bought a really nice Seneca .45 that had the tang mount TC peep sight mounted on it (which would be the same one that the Cherokee takes). I decided to sell it and I couldn't believe the postings on it that resulted - seems like everyone was more interested in the peep sight than the rifle. This rifle was the first TC I had owned and the remarks on the rifle and the sight got me to looking into the sixth - like you said - more rare than chicken lips. In the end, I decided to just hang on to the Seneca as it really is a nice sized rifle - just as the Cherokees are.

I think pietro has the answer as an alternative. I'm not "up" on what sights Lyman offers now. Years ago, I had a small halfstok .32 percussion rifle that was built from parts. On that rifle, the builder had installed a Lyman sight that basically screwed onto the lock panel opposite the lock and it hung over the tang. Unfortunately, I don't know what the model # of that sight is/was but it worked slick and was an easy mount - but it did screw into the wood of the panel and some folks would not like that. Of course the front sight height would have to be matched to the rear peep. That peep made all the difference in bagging squirrels.

Good luck and hopefully you'll find something that will work well with your Cherokee.

Boolit Master

Pietro do those fit? Have you seen one? I don't think it looks THAT bad!

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman sight is fantastic. They do fit, but I didn't like how it originally mounted using one wood screw for the tang. Instead I drilled and tapped between the wood screws. This caused some interference with the hammer, so all I did was make a spacer for the sight to clear it. Alternatively, you could trim the hammer some. Or you could mount it as it was intended, but the idea of a wood screw holding my sight doesn't make me feel good. While expensive, I'm not aware of a better peep sight for a muzzleloader.

I know that the Lyman fits the Hawken, so how much different/difficult can it be if it were to be fitted to a Seneca/Cherokee ?

Boolit Master

So mega, the lyman fits the cherokee?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    So mega, the lyman fits the cherokee?
    I've never tried one on a Cherokee, but they look awful close to a Renegade/Hawken, which they do fit on. Either way you will likely have to drill and tap a hole or two.

Boolit Master

Hawken is bigger/ thicker than a Cherokee. I've never seen a Seneca

Back in 70s & 80s the TCs were top selling MLs in my area for deer guns. Hawkins, Renegade and Seneca were the models. The biggest complaint on these guns were the sights. They were to coarse for the squirrel hunters around here. I did a good business replacing sights and doing scope jobs. Marble made a sight that use same screw pattern for TCs. With this and conventional bead of Lyman or Marble on front made them happy. The tangs weren’t popular to deer hunt with.

I've never seen a Seneca
    Sure you have - The Seneca's are the same as the Cherokee, except for a longer barrel (27" vs 24") and the addition of brass nosecaps & patchboxes to the stock.

The Hawken's barrel & stock may be thicker, but the tang contours are very close (if not the same) as the Cherokee/Seneca.

Boolit Master

ok thank's pietro

Boolit Master

Hawken is bigger/ thicker than a Cherokee. I've never seen a Seneca
    Get out more!

Boolit Master

geezer, I'm the only one that I know that even shoots a muzzle loader. Apparently around here there isn't much interest in esp the traditional designs.I assume someone is shooting inlines or something because there are powders, sabots, etc available here but they had to order me some #11 caps. I bought this Cherokee as a kit in the late 80's I think I had the LGS order it for me. I can't remember, been 30+ years. I hunted squirrel with it for a while. Got hard to see the sights so I had to put my Hawken and my Cherokee up. Got a peep for my Hawken and I'm back in business. As far as "getting out more" where do you think I should get out to? For that matter, my Cherokee is the only one I've seen.

Boolit Master

Go to some muzzleloader shoots, search the internet. A Lyman peep will fit you gun it may need a hole drilled and tapped in the tang. My eyes need peeps and I could shoot well for SQ heads using one.

You gun is just a newer TC made smaller the what they used for the Seneca rifle. Think the made a whole new design , NOT, just Cheaper with less work.

The Lyman will adjust fore the smaller barrels than on the Hawken and such.

Sorry to seem mean but it is general knowledge to most ML shooters did not mean to demean you as the net makes it hard with just writing an answer.

Peace Bro. You got a good gun get so you can steer it and you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post

You gun is just a newer TC made smaller the what they used for the Seneca rifle. Think the made a whole new design , NOT, just Cheaper with less work.

True - T/C designed/built an entire separate factory, just to build their down-sized guns ( Cherokee & Seneca rifles and the Patriot pistol).

The value for these special guns has risen astronomically ( I just sold a .45 Cherokee for $550 and a .36 Seneca for $750) since their separate factory burnt to the ground -n 1996, destroying both the special machines and the engineering plans).

After S&W bought out T/C and moved production to Springfield, MA from Rochester, New Hampshire, the decision was made to make only Hawken's, in-lines, and Encore muzzleloaders.

Attachment 266263 Here is one that I put on a T/C Renegade. I got the sight from Track of the Wolf it is a Pedersoli. I set my Seneca beside it and it looks like it would work fine. it would need one hole drilled and tapped. and the tang is narrower on the Seneca than the renegade. but the conture looks the same.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master

I like that sight frogleg!

Boolit Master

I just checked the TOW site, is that the one listed as the ghost ring tang sight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast