Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T/C Cherokee peep sight

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    I just checked the TOW site, is that the one listed as the ghost ring tang sight?

Worry not - Almost ALL peep sights (receiver or tag) are "ghost ring" sights after the peep aperture in unscrewed/removed.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I just checked the TOW site, is that the one listed as the ghost ring tang sight?
    Yes and their part # is RS- DP -GRS
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master

yeah I get that pietro but the angle on the arm needs to keep the aperture parallel to the plane of the barrel. I bought a new win 1873 in .357 several years ago and bought a tang sight from brownells that was supposed to be correct for my rifle but the angle on the arm left the aperture pointing above the front sight. I had to put washers under it to correct the angle and it worked, but looks like crap. I just wanted to be sure the angle on the arm was correct and that this was the sight that frogleg had work for him before I ordered one.

Boolit Master

well, my daughters gave me GCs for this sight from TOW for Christmas and TOW notified me last week that they were in so I ordered it. I got it yesterday!... we'll see how I do with it.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210314_071409.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	283588 Believe it or not, this works much better than you'd think. An old friend who ran a truck gear shop in San Jose Kalifornistan told me about this stuff. Long story short, I even glued a scope base on with it. Permatex high temp black gasket sealer. Best part is you can wrap it in cardboard and twist it off with pliers. The residue cleans off easily. This is just the Williams sight made for CVA octagon barrels. Works great. Can't remember if I had to change my front sight or not. I have put it on several guns.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Back in 70s & 80s the TCs were top selling MLs in my area for deer guns. Hawkins, Renegade and Seneca were the models. The biggest complaint on these guns were the sights. They were to coarse for the squirrel hunters around here. I did a good business replacing sights and doing scope jobs. Marble made a sight that use same screw pattern for TCs. With this and conventional bead of Lyman or Marble on front made them happy. The tangs weren’t popular to deer hunt with.
    I have always liked the TC sight . My Seneca came with the Lyman sight and the factory sight missing . I took the Lyman off and since I couldn't find the short Seneca sight I used one from the TC Hawken . Never had a problem seeing them and never had an issue hitting anything with them . I'd sell my Lyman but my youngest son shot the rifle with it and loves it and it will be his one day so I need to hang on to it for him . I bought one of the TC peeps for the first Hawken that I built but didn't like it either so I gave it to my pap .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Newtire-
    how close do you put your eye to that receiver sight when you fire!?
    Loren

Boolit Master

Finally got the above mentioned sight installed on my Cherokee. Fits well but with the original front sight it shoots about 7" hi at 30 yds. I guess I need a taller front sight. Any Ideas? Are all T/c dovetails on their guns the same size? If I could find one taller that was for a Hawken it would work if they were. I'm not worried about looks, I just want to hunt squirrels with this gun again!

Boolit Master
    When I installed a peep sight on Muzzleloaders , I usually installed a Globe front sight.
    It just seemed to work better than a taller blade front sight.

Boolit Master

OK Lags, what kind?

Finally got the above mentioned sight installed on my Cherokee. Fits well but with the original front sight it shoots about 7" hi at 30 yds. I guess I need a taller front sight. Any Ideas? Are all T/c dovetails on their guns the same size? If I could find one taller that was for a Hawken it would work if they were. I'm not worried about looks, I just want to hunt squirrels with this gun again!

The front sight sight's on my Cherokee & Seneca rifles are mounted in standard 3/8" dovetails, so after you calculate what the new front sight height should be (see below) you can make your choice of over a dozen options (like maker, style, bead type, color & size)

Here's a sight height calculator:

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13186

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I got my globe front sight directly from Lyman.
    I don't have any left for the TC's but have one more that is going to be put on a Lyman GPR kit that I am going to build for long range shooting attempts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12