Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else use a lee handpress?

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?
    Randy
    Because i can only afford a rambler
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy, are yours still in production? I thought you said in a previous post that you were curtailing new production. If so, your presses will be more like Deusenbergs... discontinued classics!

For anyone else, if you can get one of Randy’s hand presses or one of its spiritual forebears like the Compac from HDS, not only will you have portability but durability and class as well. Yes I had a Lee before I found my Compac, and I have the attitude “why drink cheap beer when you can have fine wine?”
    "It aint easy being green!"

The Buchanan and it's forbears are very good presses. As far as portability I think the Lee has the advantage. The Lee weighs less and is more compact. So easier to store and carry with you.
    Leo

Banned

I haven't had my Lee hand press for a long time, maybe 3 or 4 years. But I have reloaded 380 Auto, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 Smith and Wesson, 22-250, 6.5 CM, 7.62X39, 30-30, 7.62X54R and 30-06 with no problems. It's still just as tight as original. I personally like the press a lot and plan on using it into the future.

Banned
    Or you could use one of these and not have any problems at all. Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?

Randy
    Two words "Exchange Rate".

Vendor Sponsor

OK, since I'm Bored and have nothing to do right now, we need to dispel some Rumors.

First: My tool is made from all machined parts. The Lee Tool is made from Die Cast Aluminum Parts.

Second: My tool weighs 3 lbs on the nose, the Lee tool weighs 1 lb 12 oz.

Third: My tool is slightly smaller in overall dimensions than the Lee tool
    Forth: In the box the Lee Tool Weighs 2 lbs 4.2 oz. My tool in the Boyt Carrying Case weighs 3 lbs. 10.4 oz. Difference of 1 lb. 6 oz. I don't see a significant difference in Portability?

Fifth: My tool has about 25-30% more compound leverage than the Lee Tool because I had this Lee tool in hand when I designed mine.

Sixth: I have customers who size .308 Machine Gun Brass in one stroke. It takes me 3 strokes on my Rockchucker! One guy loads .577 NE on his BPM HP by the Camp Fire in Namibia! The Lee Tool can't do this,,, anywhere.

Seventh: The Lee Tool is $50,,, my tool is $250!

Closing: Nothing wrong with the Lee Hand Press. It works and is well worth the $50. Mine also works, but it works better and will outlast the Lee 5:1 easily. It feels better in your hands and is a precision made piece of equipment, it will also stand up by itself and you can easily clamp it to a table. The Lee tool needs assistance to stand up at all!

Mine is also Worth the $250, so You just have to decide which one will give you more satisfaction in ownership.

So far 225 people have bought mine, and no one is giving one up. So there must be something of value there.

Lee has probably sold more? Plenty of mine available for the Foreseeable Future. All are built to order by ME!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-12-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Great Tool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41AC9E8QQZL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	266171
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Great Tool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41AC9E8QQZL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	266171
    I agree, the tool works great, is small and packable and uses standard size dies. My other considerations were the Lyman 310 tool which does not use standard size dies or the lee classic loader seems to have a more cumbersome process

Boolit Mold
    Reminds me why I dislike car sales men, buy mine it costs this much and I think it is better because I sell it.

Bull, the market decided what is good and bad. Lee sells a lot of those little loaders, have a few myself. I have started a few others on this journey with the Lee tool. Why, because when the little wife is already mad because you got another rifle the last thing you want to say it, this tool costs $250, and veto. At $50 you squeeze the thing in because it is cheap.

Then buy a universal Decapper and start saving brass. She sees an investment in the future for saving. Next, oh, I need this special part that makes it fit this rifle, $50, sold. Keep stockpiling.

After a while she wonders how this is stopping you from buying ammo, so you buy components instead and roll your own. Now, she has spent less and over time. You have shown that you are thinking ahead and that makes her happy. And, you got in cheap.

After that you don't aim for another hand press, you go single stage or turret press that will take your current setup. Later you go progressive.

Also, it helps if somewhere in there you set a dedicated, safe, and secure area to do your Reloading, and you keep it tidy and organized. It really is a win win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    Reminds me why I dislike car sales men, buy mine it costs this much and I think it is better because I sell it.

Bull, the market decided what is good and bad. Lee sells a lot of those little loaders, have a few myself. I have started a few others on this journey with the Lee tool. Why, because when the little wife is already mad because you got another rifle the last thing you want to say it, this tool costs $250, and veto. At $50 you squeeze the thing in because it is cheap.

Then buy a universal Decapper and start saving brass. She sees an investment in the future for saving. Next, oh, I need this special part that makes it fit this rifle, $50, sold. Keep stockpiling.

After a while she wonders how this is stopping you from buying ammo, so you buy components instead and roll your own. Now, she has spent less and over time. You have shown that you are thinking ahead and that makes her happy. And, you got in cheap.

After that you don't aim for another hand press, you go single stage or turret press that will take your current setup. Later you go progressive.

Also, it helps if somewhere in there you set a dedicated, safe, and secure area to do your Reloading, and you keep it tidy and organized. It really is a win win.

Now i do believe his to be sturdier than the lee and capable to be able to handle the longer cartridges i just can't put that kind of money down for a hand press so i wouldn't call it car salesman tactics big difference

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Now i do believe his to be sturdier than the lee and capable to be able to handle the longer cartridges i just can't put that kind of money down for a hand press so i wouldn't call it car salesman tactics big difference
    True, not completely, but still a passionate plea for sales. That is what I was trying elude to, didn't make my point as well as I should have. Sorry.

As for the product, I would probably try it if I had a place for it in my routine or even a physical place to put it. Since I don't and I am not super interested in changing things up right now I will just file it away for maybe some day.

But, I still use the Lee hand press for Decapping while watching TV. Works perfect, no table required in the recliner.

I've not used Randy's press but it's on the dream list. It's got better leverage and is made better. I could certainly get along with it, but I see a flaw, you need something to set it on. The design of the lee works well when setting on the ground with the press in your lap. You can run pistol brass pretty fast this way. I use my lee hand press this way a lot.

I'd like to see a lee hand press with refinements in some areas.

What if any spring does your press have Randy? I know the cast iron O presses spring some but I'd guess the BPM press doesn't spring much if any.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the Lee Hand Press for 45-70 (that was not easy sizing the brass), 25-06, 243, 223/556, 45, 38/357, 9mm, 380 and now 44sp/mag. Its all I use for 25-06 and 243 (i shoot maybe 10 rounds a year of each) the rest is mainly case prep. When going camping I'll grab supplies for 500ish rounds of whatever I feel like loading and the hand press (its nice to just sit there in chair/table under a tree and make some ammo listening to the birds and river). I have also made a mount so it is upside down on my bench for using the Lee push through sizing dies.

Boolit Master
    Keep the pivot pin area lubed. I completely wore mine out in 1 year only using it to decap pistol brass during cowboy action matches. Black powder of course!
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad to hear you are still in production and I that was misinformed, Randy. It’s good to know that one can still get top-of-the-line. Heavy duty is almost always better, so buy the best once feel it for a little while, buy cheap and get what you paid for. JMHO, make your own decision!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I believe Randys' press is probably as good a hand press as has ever been made. That said, I have a Lee that I bought about 30 years ago when Lee had a special offer of his loading book and the hand press for $ 19.95. I don't use it a lot and it still looks almost new. I lube it before each use and I have no problem sizing 300 win mag with it. I put my hands with the press between my knees while sitting and push with both hands and legs.
    The Lee will last me the rest of my life and as none of my kids reload, I see no reason to pass on a $250 press they won't use. Also, I don't have a use for another bolt down press as I don't have room for the 20 or more presses that I have.

Boolit Master
    Or you could use one of these and not have any problems at all. Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?
    Randy, both are just handpresses and Lee's inexpensive little Handpress vs. your excellent handmade device does have a very real difference worth considering. Cadillacs are nice but buying a Cadillac when a wheelbarrow is all we really need is a bit excessive. And, in this case, your nice tool will cost us about $200 more dollars for a precision device that will buy most of us virtually nothing in effective usefulness.

Your press is not for me but I hope you sell several train car loads of 'em and retire rich!

I'm poor, and I'm in my 30s, so the Lee is what I have, but the BPM is what I want. At least I want to get one and put through it's paces. Just like with guns and knives, I've a tendency to buy and swap reloading stuff just to try new stuff. If the BPM fits me better than Lee then I'll get my money out of it. I use a hand press atleast half the time.

I just ordered a lee as a present for a family member new to reloading hope they like it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    True, not completely, but still a passionate plea for sales. That is what I was trying elude to, didn't make my point as well as I should have. Sorry.
    I dont feel he was pleading for anything. I think it was a pretty good post to make on this thread as I wasnt aware of the unit myself. Someone asked him if it was in production so he answered. Probably saved a few of us bugging him by email.